IGNORED

So where are we going to finish?

I totally agree that we are playing better football and I think we are far more likely to do well in the FA Cup under Martinez because he will have a go on the big occasions.

However I just think that the galss ceiling is still firmly in place and that we are nowhere nearer breaking it than we have ever been,

That isnt a reflection on Martinez because I dont think that there is a manager on the planet who could smash us through that barrier because we simply havent got the money to compete. We need a clinical 20+ goals a season CF and we cant shop in that market

IMO until things change drastically off the pitch then that ceiling will always be there

£12m signing Daniel Sturridge. 18 goals in 19 games.

£12m signing Daniel Sturridge. 18 goals in 19 games.

That's a great return, but Saurez doesn't just score goals, just by being on the pitch he creates space and chances, sturridge takes full advantage.

Liverpool are very lucky to have them, you can't really estimate what they would have done without them, but had they had Naismith and Mirallas up front, you'd probably be looking mid-table.

Saurez and Sturridge up front fo us would probably have seen us top of the table.

Martinez just need to search high and low and exhaust every bit of luck owing to him to try and find players who can score (at present) like SAS.

Still think we are in for a chance of fourth. Why I don't know. Liverpool have been conceding goals left right and centre and if they suffer a defeat it might have a knock on effect. We have got five or six should be bankers. If we do go on a run it's still possible. Stranger things have happened

Still think we are in for a chance of fourth. Why I don't know. Liverpool have been conceding goals left right and centre and if they suffer a defeat it might have a knock on effect. We have got five or six should be bankers. If we do go on a run it's still possible. Stranger things have happened

We defo do have a chance. An outside chance, but its not impossible.

Liverpool have been immense recently, but its just shit hot form that wont last. And they certainly are shakey at the back.

Its far from over, the league table for us isnt great just now (in terms of 4th), but we aint dead yet.

Spurs have just lost at Norwich. Don't like having to rely on other teams doing us a favour but thanks Norwich. Beat West Ham next Saturday and just maybe we are back in the mix for fifth.

Is that the same Spurs that are rolling teams over for fun?

From what I have seen of them they are very disorganised and the manager is just playing who he likes where hoping they figure it out themselves. They will win games through individual talent but they will struggle against teams with a bit of nous.

Is that the same Spurs that are rolling teams over for fun?

From what I have seen of them they are very disorganised and the manager is just playing who he likes where hoping they figure it out themselves. They will win games through individual talent but they will struggle against teams with a bit of nous.

Before their defeat. They had taken 20 points from 24. (League games)Thats very good form up against our 8 points from 24. Edited by MiguelCotto

Spurs are crap, they're getting by because they have a goalscorer.

Obviously they have class individuals but as a team? Wank. Absolutely wank.

Yeah, it was always going to be a tricky one with all those individuals coming in. The downside to having a director of football?

Adebayor will fade. Always does. Too much of a big headed 'I am'.

Before their defeat. They had taken 20 points from 24. (League games)Thats very good form up against our 8 points from 24.

Form is all about performances. Like I said, when I have watched them in their last few games, they have been disjointed, worse than they were under AVB yet they are managing to win games through individual brilliance. That type of 'form' wont last forever and it will also cost them a lot of money to sustain.

In all comps they have won 2, drawn 1 and lost 2. We have won 2 and lost 3 and the 3 we have lost have all been away from home against top 6 sides.

Yeah, it was always going to be a tricky one with all those individuals coming in. The downside to having a director of football?

Adebayor will fade. Always does. Too much of a big headed 'I am'.

I hate the whole director of football thing. It's the manager that has to set the team up and lives by the results those players achieve so he should have sole control of transfers.

Form is all about performances. Like I said, when I have watched them in their last few games, they have been disjointed, worse than they were under AVB yet they are managing to win games through individual brilliance. That type of 'form' wont last forever and it will also cost them a lot of money to sustain.

In all comps they have won 2, drawn 1 and lost 2. We have won 2 and lost 3 and the 3 we have lost have all been away from home against top 6 sides.

Ahh I see you reduce the games to 5 and use the Europa league. It's the premiership we're talking about here and 20 points from a possible 27 isn't too bad going.

I hate the whole director of football thing. It's the manager that has to set the team up and lives by the results those players achieve so he should have sole control of transfers.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me and is a shit set up.

Wasnt that part of the reason Martinez turned down Liverpool???

If we finish 7th and get knocked out the cup I'm putting it down as a shite season. I think we'll finish 5th though.

So if we finish in and around where we usually finished under a "much heralded manager" - with a new manager who has implemented a new style, integegrated new younger players and operated on a net transfer profit you will see it as a poor season???

so 7th and quarter final of FA Cup is a poor season now? Moyes should have been sacked a while ago based onh that logic.

Get off your high horse. Yes 7th and quarter finals would be shite IMO.

7th?? You truly believe that would be a good season. Would it bollocks. That's standard no money spent era's under Moyes.

The net spend bollocks argument too... Martinez has spent about £25m this season on loans and permanents. Hardly not spent a penny, whether that's net or not.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Get off your high horse. Yes 7th and quarter finals would be shite IMO.

7th?? You truly believe that would be a good season. Would it bollocks. That's standard no money spent era's under Moyes.

The net spend bollocks argument too... Martinez has spent about £25m this season on loans and permanents. Hardly not spent a penny, whether that's net or not.

So we have been garbage on and off for some time then based on previous league finishes in and around 7th place? Ok just understanding where you were with our previous performances.

Regarding net spend your argument is complete nonsense, would you be fine for Bill Kenwright to sell Ross Barkley, Mirallas and Baines for £80m, give Martinez £15m and then say to the Everton Fans - "bit disappointed with Roberto, he has been given £15m to spend and we are a worse team now than before"

You contradict yourself, in other threads you go on about the need for money to strengthen the squad, but now arguing that outgoing saleable assets should not have a negative impact on the perfromance?

Think it's going to be 5th. Will be disappointed if we don't get 9 points from the next three games, and I think every away game until the end of the season is winnable. Got three huge home games to factor in, which will probably decide how things end up. If we manage to beat any two of City, Arsenal or United at home then we should be good for 5th.

Regarding net spend, as Haf says it's a huge consideration when judging the relative success of a football club or particular season. I can't believe it even needs defending or backing up as an argument, it's plain as day how big a factor it is.

Personally, from the second I saw Martinez being appointed, I had kinda written off this season. I assumed it would take a lot longer than it has to implement Martinez philosophy and system. The fact that we are still looking at a European finish is a lot better than I expected.

As an aside, if the teams who go to the cup final get Champions League, does the Europa spot go to 7th? Or if we get Europa through the cup does it slip down a spot again?

So if we finish in and around where we usually finished under a "much heralded manager" - with a new manager who has implemented a new style, integegrated new younger players and operated on a net transfer profit you will see it as a poor season???

so 7th and quarter final of FA Cup is a poor season now? Moyes should have been sacked a while ago based onh that logic.

We would only be finishing where we would be expected to finish with our wage bill, or some other bollocks like that!

We would only be finishing where we would be expected to finish with our wage bill, or some other bollocks like that!

So that is now "shite"? I've never said finishing 7th is shite, what was shite was the lack of progressive football to achieve more. The idea that what we seen was the best we could get.

One season in, the new boss is achieving the same - potentially more on a negative spend, better style of possession football which is work in progress.

Don't know why we still have to do this dance, then again there are still some people who want to believe lance Armstrong wasn't a cheat just because they bought his shit for so long.