IGNORED

So where are we going to finish?

The truth of the message in this article is proved by a comparison with the only other team near the top that didn't spend fortunes on new players, and that's United. Last year, they were well ahead of us. This year, we are on a par and should finish above them. We may even finish above Spurs, and pause for a moment to consider just how much they spent in the summer.

does he? McCarthy, Barry, Barkley, Robles, Alcaraz, Stones, Lukaku - don't recall them getting much game time under Moyes...

conviently ignoring Howard, Baines, Distin, Jags, Mirallas, Ossie, Pienaar, Naismith and backing up your argument with players that didnt play for Moyes?

come on Haf, I expect better!

Truth is, we cant compare favourites like a mentioned, not long enough in charge and different players to boot...

conviently ignoring Howard, Baines, Distin, Jags, Mirallas, Ossie, Pienaar, Naismith and backing up your argument with players that didnt play for Moyes?

come on Haf, I expect better!

Truth is, we cant compare favourites like a mentioned, not long enough in charge and different players to boot...

all I stated was that Martinez uses the squad and it should be applauded and Dunc turned it into a slight at Moyes.... very touchy.

How is the squad going to look anything like that of a David Moyes team? RM only took over last summer. Daft comment - but regardless he has changed the team quite dramatically in that time.

all I stated was that Martinez uses the squad and it should be applauded and Dunc turned it into a slight at Moyes.... very touchy.

How is the squad going to look anything like that of a David Moyes team? RM only took over last summer. Daft comment - but regardless he has changed the team quite dramatically in that time.

Moyes slight? It wasnt that at all, Dunc was merely pointing out that the players Moyes relied on (that are still here) are still being used by Martinez. I believe making fun of this "myth/fact" (depending on which side of the fence you are) that Moyes had favourites. Martinez has shown favouritism, notably with the 2 CBs. Stones dropped despite playing well, Alacarz dropped depsite being well (though in his case he was probably injured) to accomodate Jags and Distin, when neither were fully fit. Bringing Barkley back too early, because he favours him there. Its not a bad thing mind you, but then it wasnt always a bad thing under Moyes either.

You also made a daft comment using players Moyes didnt even have. Fighting fire with fire here :P

Will agree with the bit in bold though.

Edited by Matt

its a good piece - some fans need to seriously have a word with themselves with the way that Martinez seems to be taking daft criticism. I for one was annoyed with his keeper choice - but I see that he is trying to be consistent and give players a fair shot - not have favourites.

Basically a comment about the keeper being played that I didn't think was the right choice has turned into "Haf and moyes had favourites" debate....

Maybe it's just me (often is!), but again I don't understand the negativity. We're behind United on goal difference only because our game against Palace was postponed. We lost to Chelsea by a single goal scored in virtually the last minute. Robles is being hammered even though he made some good saves and didn't cost us any goals. Why the sudden change in tone? We lost in the Cup away to Arsenal, whereas City lost at home to Wigan. If we lose most of the remaining games of the season, I will understand the complaints, but while we're still with a realistic shot at finishing fifth? The word that comes to mind is 'fickle'.

Maybe it's just me (often is!), but again I don't understand the negativity. We're behind United on goal difference only because our game against Palace was postponed. We lost to Chelsea by a single goal scored in virtually the last minute. Robles is being hammered even though he made some good saves and didn't cost us any goals. Why the sudden change in tone? We lost in the Cup away to Arsenal, whereas City lost at home to Wigan. If we lose most of the remaining games of the season, I will understand the complaints, but while we're still with a realistic shot at finishing fifth? The word that comes to mind is 'fickle'.

Nope, Im completely with you on this!

Agreed. I think once we had a shot at 4th and champs everyone got their hopes up (rightly so). But we hadn't hit our rough patch yet, and after all the injuries and losses were now done (hopefully) with said rough patch. I have a lot of hope and excitement for the last 10 matches. 5th would be great, so would 6th, anything Europa would be great for me. I think the offseason will be exciting too with more of the RM plan being revealed in transfers and such. Positivity is a beautiful thing :)

The only reason people are disappointed right now is because we had such a good start. If we'd had a bad start but pulled it back to be in the position we find ourselves in then people would probably be pleased with where we are.

It's Martinez' first season, and it's not even over yet, give him a chance to get his own team assembled and get them gelled and playing comfortably in the way he envisages.

It's going to be at least another season until you can judge how he's doing. Then we'll really know whether he's taking us in the right direction or whether he's going to make the same mistakes over and over and take us no further.

If there was money on the table to invest better squad players I think he'd get us in the top 4. However I can't see the glass breaking. I don't think he's a miracle worker. Based on this season (and last), the way it's sloped since Christmas I think we will always operate just outside the top 4 places without that cash injection every summer.

There's 6 teams who have much better finances than us and when I say much I mean a huge gap. They can all spend £15-£20m on players and write them off if it doesn't work out. It's happened a good few times over the years.

If there was money on the table to invest better squad players I think he'd get us in the top 4. However I can't see the glass breaking. I don't think he's a miracle worker. Based on this season (and last), the way it's sloped since Christmas I think we will always operate just outside the top 4 places without that cash injection every summer.

There's 6 teams who have much better finances than us and when I say much I mean a huge gap. They can all spend £15-£20m on players and write them off if it doesn't work out. It's happened a good few times over the years.

Always the optimist.... There is a huge difference from this time last year. I smile while I watch my team now. And our own manager doesn't perceive us as a small club anymore.

Always the optimist.... There is a huge difference from this time last year. I smile while I watch my team now. And our own manager doesn't perceive us as a small club anymore.

Yeh I agree, we do seem to give the big teams a game these days. We need to turn possession into points though.

Moyes slight? It wasnt that at all, Dunc was merely pointing out that the players Moyes relied on (that are still here) are still being used by Martinez. I believe making fun of this "myth/fact" (depending on which side of the fence you are) that Moyes had favourites. Martinez has shown favouritism, notably with the 2 CBs. Stones dropped despite playing well, Alacarz dropped depsite being well (though in his case he was probably injured) to accomodate Jags and Distin, when neither were fully fit. Bringing Barkley back too early, because he favours him there. Its not a bad thing mind you, but then it wasnt always a bad thing under Moyes either.

You also made a daft comment using players Moyes didnt even have. Fighting fire with fire here :P

Will agree with the bit in bold though.

That is exactly what I was getting at !

You could also throw Baines coming staright back in for Oviedo!

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Picking the best players in each position isn't 'playing favourites', it's just picking the strongest team. Baines would quite rightly replace Oviedo in the team when back to full fitness after an injury, because he's one of the best full backs in the world. Playing favourites would be sticking with a player who's on a terrible run of form whilst overlooking someone else and not giving them a chance. This hasn't happened under Martinez as yet.