IGNORED

So where are we going to finish?

I think your being a tad optimistic expecting 6 points fom Fulham & Newcastle away but you never know

i don't. newcastle doesn't have their skipper and lost to fulham just this weekend. i don't think they'll do much of anything the rest of the year, they're playing for nothing (no europa chance really) and pardew is gone. i just don't see that being a tough match. fulham? i don't care if it's at the cottage, they're absolutely terrible. without berbatov the only threat is holtby or the aging darren bent who isn't much of a threat anyways.

i do fancy us for both wins.

• 1 year later...

Exactly. West Ham are failing now, and Crystal Palace have hit a bump in the road. We have an excellent shot at 10th. It will be more difficult to move ahead of Stoke and Swansea to clinch eighth, but it's definitely a possibility. I would point out that 10th is around about where most said at the start of the season, and 8th would mean we exceeded most people's expectations.

Guest rusty747

I think Swansea will fall away badly. They have hard games v Man City and Arsenal and also play Palace, Stoke and Newcastle. Four more points.

West Ham, even though on a bad run, seem to have an easier run in. They play Us, QPR, Burnley, Villa and Newcastle. I think we owe them and will beat them. QPR and Burnley will be fighting for their lives and should each take a point at least. Villa will have one eye on Wembley and who knows about Newcastle. They may also only get another 4 points.

Stoke have Sunderland, Swansea, Spurs, Burnley Liverpool. I can see them getting 10 points from that and finishing eighth.

Palace, I am confident we will finish above.

I reckon we can get 11 points from the last 15 with 3 wins and 2 draws and I think that will be good enough for tenth and maybe just ninth. I cant see us getting eighth but I can see us finishing above Swansea with Stoke getting eighth.

Edited by rusty747

Not sure where we will finish but it will be higher than many thought we would a month ago.

Martinez has earned his right to have a summer of putting his learnings into practice. Only an idiot would think he didn't have things to learn from this season.

I honestly think that last years success lulled him into a false sense of security which was a little gullable of him.

His mistakes were:-

Trusting the players so much. I think the players earned a lot of his respect last year and a few have thrown this in his face. Mr Eto has been moved on (Matt called this one spot on) and Mirallas has had his wings clipped. Martinez has actually managed the situation well and I don't think he will make the same mistake again.

Lack of pre season. Very amateurish. We looked unfit, I think he needs to replace Dave Billows "properly", that said the Newcastle players don't exactly look particularly sharp.

I think he has discovered the right blend of work rate and football. One key player in all of this has been Aaron Lennon, a master stroke of a loan signing. I would offer spurs the £6M they want right now. An energiser for the team.

I think we will get another 6-8 points, lets see where that puts us.

Not sure where we will finish but it will be higher than many thought we would a month ago.

Martinez has earned his right to have a summer of putting his learnings into practice. Only an idiot would think he didn't have things to learn from this season.

I honestly think that last years success lulled him into a false sense of security which was a little gullable of him.

His mistakes were:-

Trusting the players so much. I think the players earned a lot of his respect last year and a few have thrown this in his face. Mr Eto has been moved on (Matt called this one spot on) and Mirallas has had his wings clipped. Martinez has actually managed the situation well and I don't think he will make the same mistake again.

Lack of pre season. Very amateurish. We looked unfit, I think he needs to replace Dave Billows "properly", that said the Newcastle players don't exactly look particularly sharp.

I think he has discovered the right blend of work rate and football. One key player in all of this has been Aaron Lennon, a master stroke of a loan signing. I would offer spurs the £6M they want right now. An energiser for the team.

I think we will get another 6-8 points, lets see where that puts us.

The whole bayern Munich medical staff walked out after pep spat his dummy out, worth recruiting all of them as there needs to be big changes in the background.

I think Swansea will fall away badly. They have hard games v Man City and Arsenal and also play Palace, Stoke and Newcastle. Four more points.

West Ham, even though on a bad run, seem to have an easier run in. They play Us, QPR, Burnley, Villa and Newcastle. I think we owe them and will beat them. QPR and Burnley will be fighting for their lives and should each take a point at least. Villa will have one eye on Wembley and who knows about Newcastle. They may also only get another 4 points.

Stoke have Sunderland, Swansea, Spurs, Burnley Liverpool. I can see them getting 10 points from that and finishing eighth.

Palace, I am confident we will finish above.

I reckon we can get 11 points from the last 15 with 3 wins and 2 draws and I think that will be good enough for tenth and maybe just ninth. I cant see us getting eighth but I can see us finishing above Swansea with Stoke getting eighth.

Doubt we can pass either Swansea or Stoke, hope so. Confident we can pass Palace, with their tough run in. The issue for me is whether our 3 remaining home matches to WHam's only 2 allows us to grab 10th. If we win or maybe even draw at WHam, we get 10th. Highly unlikely we could fall below 12th, as WBrom are 5 behind us and have harsh matches remaining. And Newcastle, even with relatively easy schedule, are 6 behind us and playing poorly.

Rusty has discussed opponents' schedules, so here's a list for reference:

8. Swansea 47 points, -4 GD, @Newcastle, Stoke, @Arsenal, ManCity, @Palace

9. Stoke, 46 points, -3 GD, Sunderland, @Swansea, Spurs, @Burnley, Liverpool

10. WHam, 43 points, 0 GD, @QPR, Burnley, @Villa, Everton, @Newcastle

11. Palace, 42 points, -3 GD, Hull, @Chelsea, ManU, @Liverpool, Swansea

12. Everton, 41 points, -2 GD, ManU, @Villa, Sunderland, @WHam, Spurs

Thrilled to rise to 8th, hoping for 9th, expecting 10th, disappointed with 11th (must be a loss @WHam), cursing Roberto if 12th, give him until Christmas if 13th, until October if 14th, fire him May 25 if 15th.

10th.

Guest rusty747

Eleven points from 15 and I think we could get ninth but expecting tenth. Now, as Villa beat Liverpool yesterday that means that if Arsenal win the FA Cup seventh will be good enough for Europa League. I would find that a wee bit frustrating when I look at all the points we have thrown away this season - must be about 20. If only we had taken ten of them!

Edited by rusty747

Doubt we can pass either Swansea or Stoke, hope so. Confident we can pass Palace, with their tough run in. The issue for me is whether our 3 remaining home matches to WHam's only 2 allows us to grab 10th. If we win or maybe even draw at WHam, we get 10th. Highly unlikely we could fall below 12th, as WBrom are 5 behind us and have harsh matches remaining. And Newcastle, even with relatively easy schedule, are 6 behind us and playing poorly.

Rusty has discussed opponents' schedules, so here's a list for reference:

8. Swansea 47 points, -4 GD, @Newcastle, Stoke, @Arsenal, ManCity, @Palace

9. Stoke, 46 points, -3 GD, Sunderland, @Swansea, Spurs, @Burnley, Liverpool

10. WHam, 43 points, 0 GD, @QPR, Burnley, @Villa, Everton, @Newcastle

11. Palace, 42 points, -3 GD, Hull, @Chelsea, ManU, @Liverpool, Swansea

12. Everton, 41 points, -2 GD, ManU, @Villa, Sunderland, @WHam, Spurs

Thrilled to rise to 8th, hoping for 9th, expecting 10th, disappointed with 11th (must be a loss @WHam), cursing Roberto if 12th, give him until Christmas if 13th, until October if 14th, fire him May 25 if 15th.

10th.

So I've followed through to see what it means in terms of final position.

8. Swansea 47 points, -4 GD, @Newcastle (draw), Stoke (lose), @Arsenal (lose), ManCity (lose), @Palace (lose)

9. Stoke, 46 points, -3 GD, Sunderland (win), @Swansea (win), Spurs (draw), @Burnley (win), Liverpool (draw)

10. WHam, 43 points, 0 GD, @QPR (lose), Burnley (win), @Villa (lose), Everton (lose), @Newcastle (win)

11. Palace, 42 points, -3 GD, Hull (win), @Chelsea (lose), ManU (lose), @Liverpool (lose), Swansea (win)

12. Everton, 41 points, -2 GD, ManU (draw), @Villa (draw), Sunderland (win), @WHam (win), Spurs (draw)

Final positions?

8. Stoke 57 points

9. Everton 50 points

10. WHam 49 points

11. Palace 48 points

12. Swansea 48 points

Eleven points from 15 and I think we could get ninth but expecting tenth. Now, as Villa beat Liverpool yesterday that means that if Arsenal win the FA Cup seventh will be good enough for Europa League. I would find that a wee bit frustrating when I look at all the points we have thrown away this season - must be about 20. If only we had taken ten of them!

After the impact the Europa had on our league form? Let Liverpool play the Europa next year, having to qualify from the first round.

(Tongue in cheek, because I do believe that playing in Europe is a positive thing.)

So I've followed through to see what it means in terms of final position.

8. Swansea 47 points, -4 GD, @Newcastle (draw), Stoke (lose), @Arsenal (lose), ManCity (lose), @Palace (lose)

9. Stoke, 46 points, -3 GD, Sunderland (win), @Swansea (win), Spurs (draw), @Burnley (win), Liverpool (draw)

10. WHam, 43 points, 0 GD, @QPR (lose), Burnley (win), @Villa (lose), Everton (lose), @Newcastle (win)

11. Palace, 42 points, -3 GD, Hull (win), @Chelsea (lose), ManU (lose), @Liverpool (lose), Swansea (win)

12. Everton, 41 points, -2 GD, ManU (draw), @Villa (draw), Sunderland (win), @WHam (win), Spurs (draw)

Final positions?

8. Stoke 57 points

9. Everton 50 points

10. WHam 49 points

11. Palace 48 points

12. Swansea 48 points

No way will Swansea finish 12th imo they're way ahead of us.

Its the time of the year where in the clubs above 40 points some of the players are ordering their flip flops and arranging their £20k holidays. I would not be surprised to see the likes of swansea, west ham, palace lose games in a big fashion.

I think we could end up with 52 points looking at those fixtures. 9th is doable - 10-11 realistic.

Its the time of the year where in the clubs above 40 points some of the players are ordering their flip flops and arranging their £20k holidays. I would not be surprised to see the likes of swansea, west ham, palace lose games in a big fashion.

I think we could end up with 52 points looking at those fixtures. 9th is doable - 10-11 realistic.

So could we though, as we're in the same boat. If it happens I'll be massively pissed off because the players owe the fans a few performances.

So could we though, as we're in the same boat. If it happens I'll be massively pissed off because the players owe the fans a few performances.

Thats why I think we will do well. The players seem to have more self belief and cohesion now, certainly there is a momentum that we want to take right to the last game.

I think Martinez from what he looked like a month or so back (ashen faced, tense and pretty much like a worn out man) will not allow the players to take him there again. I think it will be a case of "you lot nearly lost me my job" - and to be fair they did.

There was not one of them who took account for the slow, languid, lazy way in which we were playing, and I will say it again - it took Aaron Lennon to inject some spirit into the side.

Since then we have looked like a team with more guts and guile - not where we were last year but certainly far much improved.

I think if Martinez will/should review the entire season with the team - show examples of what didn't work, what did work and trigger points. I do feel let down by certain players, Jags (leadership), Barry ( poor for the majority), Mirallas (see seperate thread), Coleman (looked lost), Baines (made me angry) Eto (the man is a digrace)