IGNORED

Roberto Martinez interview

efc1111

Great set of interviews here. Martinez always struck me as an honest, stand-up fella who was wise beyond his years with respect to the game. Incidentally, I thought he was a great analyst when some US network picked him up to do some analysis of the world cup in 2010.

I agree with you about being an excellent analyst., Compared with the others on the same US network, he was very insightful. I'm looking forward to his analysis for this year's World Cup.

The man just's seem to be on another footballing planet, so interesting to listen to. His thoughts on all aspects of the game seems to be light years ahead, had to laugh though at the bit where the players trained with the ball during fitness sessions!! Made the team fitness really high, Train the footballer, not the athlete ha ha ha so right!!!!

Thanks for posting this - it's wonderful.

I can't believe how erudite the man is, considering that English is not even his second language! He had a greater command of the language than most British people I know - must be a massive boon for any manager. He also comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke, a real gent (contrast that with Moyes comments on refs this morning - sounds like he is cracking up).

Just listening to Martinez excites and passions me - I wonder if he has that effect on the players. Quickly becoming a new hero for me.

He gave them an hour and a half!? Don't have the time to listen to it just now but that's incredible.....how many managers would do that?

I forgot to mention that not only did he give up an hour and a half of his time to do the podcast he then went onto the tea party directly afterwards. Thats a huge chunk of his time especially considering he is a new father

Really interesting stuff about Antolin Alcaraz. Most manager indulge in clichés and avoiding questions, he is refreshing in his open-ness. I like the fact about Alcaraz, he said that he's a player that moves on a free transfers every three years, not interested in staying forever, and that we are lucky to have a player of his experience and talent, but that he also understands how that could look. I don't think I've ever heard a manager talk about a player in such a pragmatic way.

Just so glad we didn't let the relegation of Wigan cloud the issue. Well done bk.

That's a major problem within football, people underestimated the challenge Wigan faced and ultimately inflated the challenge Everton faced.

Take the super rich out the equation and Everton would be expected to finish roundabout where we did. Out of your Villas, Newcastles, etc we would be expected to finish just outside top 5 based on salary spend.

What Martinez did at Wigan was mind boggling, he changed the football culture, cleared the decks of the higher paid players and got budget footballers playing elite level stuff. He achieved with style and purpose.

Interesting to hear him say that had we been taken over by foreign owners then he may never have come, especially as one of the guys sat opposite him used to be in the Blue Union

You must stop using abstract soundbites to build a whole case. Being a football manager is massively political and you don't know what his long game is.

Psychologically what he is doing is very smart and no different to what I would do.

I worked with someone once who was not very cooperative, my tactic was to praise them for a very little thing they did... It bought them to the highlight that their effort was needed and by recognizing them they unknowingly were committed to providing more assistance.

Martinez is no idiot, if he had any reservations about Bill he isn't going to air them... Bill loves to get his ego stroked and that's what Martinez is doing. In doing this Martinez is reaffirming "yes I will tow that party line, however the reason I am stating this is because a chairman needs to do x y z"

By identifying that he is aware if the chairman's criticisms he is justvsaying "so far he's been fine with me, so that's as far as I'm prepared to comment" - he will well be prepared for any of Bills bullshit.

You must stop using abstract soundbites to build a whole case. Being a football manager is massively political and you don't know what his long game is.

Psychologically what he is doing is very smart and no different to what I would do.

I worked with someone once who was not very cooperative, my tactic was to praise them for a very little thing they did... It bought them to the highlight that their effort was needed and by recognizing them they unknowingly were committed to providing more assistance.

Martinez is no idiot, if he had any reservations about Bill he isn't going to air them... Bill loves to get his ego stroked and that's what Martinez is doing. In doing this Martinez is reaffirming "yes I will tow that party line, however the reason I am stating this is because a chairman needs to do x y z"

By identifying that he is aware if the chairman's criticisms he is justvsaying "so far he's been fine with me, so that's as far as I'm prepared to comment" - he will well be prepared for any of Bills bullshit.

How is it an abstract comment?

He was asked specifically if he would have taken the job if Everton had been in the hands of foreign owners and he said that he probably would not have come and explained his reasons why

I stopped reading after this Haf, sorry mate, this is a case of 'pot called the kettle black'.

You do this all the time aha

Whooaaaa, an hour and a half interview... We are a forum not the daily mail. If someone wants to post a snippet it deserves context. Unless of course some of us are brave enough to provide our employers with a balanced critique less than 6 months after being given a job.

I am interested in Martinez football philosophies, not soundbites to keep favour with the chairman. Bill did great getting him in, lets see if he can keep the manager content.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, Martinez is going to make the right pro kenwright sounds, it's hardly sensational stuff. Theres a long way to go in their relationship, lets not think bill has suddenly become chairman of the year because Martinez has been positive about him.

Lets be honest, Martinez would find something positive to say about a warm pint of Chang and a £3 sausage roll.

Ultimately Bill and the board must be doing something right because of late our club's been f*cking awesome.

I cant defend the f*ckups by the club in the past, not one iota but you lay the blame solely on him, when frankly we don't have the evidence to make that assumption. The fact that many of the 'plans' didn't take off, may have had nothing to do with him as a chairman, but those around him and even those working on the 'projects'.

For years we've cried out for the club to talk to us as fans (thank god for Myers by the way) and he (Bill), as a fan probably got just as excited as we do about new projects, signing, expansions....and prematurely told the fans. Unfortunately for him, they didn't come off? But we wouldn't know that either.

And just to look into one sentance, "lets not think Bill has suddenly become chairman of the year because Martinez has been positive about him", well not just Martinez, practically the whole footballing community says he's great. No smoke, without fire. No offence, i'd like to beleive 90% of the premier league against your conspiracy theories.

Again though, he doesn't walk scot-free, he has to take a lot of responsibility for the club's actions, whether he likes it or not.

Anyway, there's years full of this crap on this forum, lets not bring it up again.

Edited by tenaciousj

It hasn't been like this for quite some time... He gets us, it's like he has read forums, been in the stands, was watching us win leagues... I love the man.

I was listening and couldn't help thinking that's it's no surprise the players play with belief. If he told them he wanted them to play standing on their heads I reckon they'd give it a go.

I was listening and couldn't help thinking that's it's no surprise the players play with belief. If he told them he wanted them to play standing on their heads I reckon they'd give it a go.

He demonstrates a behaviour that make great leaders, the ability to influence a person's mind so much that they can't think of an alternative argument... History has seen this with horrible consequences, used positively it's an amazing attribute.

We (Everton) seem to have had a major stroke of luck......we got Martinez! Mentioned numerous times he must have liked what he saw here, I just hope he get's the little bit of luck everyone needs.

Bill knew more than most of the fans ( must be a sickner to some ) that Martinez was the man for us.Seems had Bill been forced out and we'd got some mega rich chairman/owner in then Martinez would have given us a swerve.Does this mean Martinez will resist a club takeover?

I'd like to see Everton go a few seasons with just Bill backing Martinez, doing it the Martinez way.If we can improve and keep the talented young players, I can see some big names wanting to come to Everton, just to be part of something exciting.

Bill allowed Moyes to turn this club around, lay down brilliant foundations.....then maybe allowed him to stay a couple of seasons too long, but who would have replaced him a couple of seasons back.Probably wouldn't have been Martinez, so given hindsight, I'll take what's happened ie Moyes a couple of years too much.....then Martinez.

Martinez doesn't strike me as a man that bums up his chairman because he feels he has to.Here's to a long healthy relationship between Kenwright and Martinez.