IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

But at least, as a physio himself, he knows what he's talking about.

But we ain't all physios are we. Why not just come out and say it looks like he'll be out for a few weeks. Instead of stuff like it's a soft tissue injury..., which to me (before I'd heard him say that phrase) sounds as though it's not a bad injury. The times he said that and the player missed out on over a month if football.

Now when he says that I'll just presume the players out for weeks.

But we ain't all physios are we. Why not just come out and say it looks like he'll be out for a few weeks. Instead of stuff like it's a soft tissue injury..., which to me (before I'd heard him say that phrase) sounds as though it's not a bad injury. The times he said that and the player missed out on over a month if football.

Because it can take days before fully realising how long? Usually the manager is answering straight after a game or the next day.

Soft tissue is quite a broad term...muscle, ligament, tendon. Most footy injuries are soft tissue. Basically he's saying 'worry not, he ain't broke his leg....'

Some chap called Roberto Martinez said Everton will sign 3 or 4 players over the next few days on talksport.

Almost certainly Henan, Besic, Galloway and ...

Oh look at that, all the whining about lack of movement was simply impatience rather than justified pessimism and concern. Huh.

Some chap called Roberto Martinez said Everton will sign 3 or 4 players over the next few days on talksport.

Almost certainly Henan, Besic, Galloway and ...

Only one of those is likely to make a difference to us next season, so hopefully the fourth will be Lukaku or someone of his calibre at least.

Oh look at that, all the whining about lack of movement was simply impatience rather than justified pessimism and concern. Huh.

You really are a belter mate. The Belgian lad won't be first team, neither will Galloway. Besic will rotate with Barry so after all the ACTIVITY we will be signing no marquee signings over the next 3-4 days.

Don't get me wrong we need squad strengthening but if we are reliant on these three players to take us to the next level we are in for a shock.

Greetings from an incredibly sunny morning in Zante. Scrolled the forum to see nothing much to report in terms of transfers yet again. However, according to Talksport, Martinez has told them that 3 or 4 will be signed this week.

1. Besic

2. Henen

3. Atsu (loan?)

No idea on the 4th!!

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-everton-set-announce-three-or-four-new-signings-reveals-manager-martinez

Edited by Geth

Greetings from an incredibly sunny morning in Zante. Scrolled the forum to see nothing much to report in terms of transfers yet again. However, according to Talksport, Martinez has told them that 3 or 4 will be signed this week.

1. Besic

2. Henen

3. Atsu (loan?)

No idea on the 4th!!

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-everton-set-announce-three-or-four-new-signings-reveals-manager-martinez

most likely that galloway from the mk dons - another one for the future I would assume

You really are a belter mate. The Belgian lad won't be first team, neither will Galloway. Besic will rotate with Barry so after all the ACTIVITY we will be signing no marquee signings over the next 3-4 days.

Don't get me wrong we need squad strengthening but if we are reliant on these three players to take us to the next level we are in for a shock.

Hey!!!! Don't be so pessimistic, these 3 or 4 signings will break another record of the most players we've ever signed in a week. That 2 will most definitely be lucky to make the bench on a match day and one will be behind Barry, Mcarthey and arguably Gibson doesn't matter it's another record broken.

Seems like you're mad at him because he won't dumb down his comments because you don't understand them.

I will be happy if we sign 3-4 players even if they are youngsters! :)

Me too. Building for the future doesn't happen over 2 or 3 transfer windows unless you have billionaire backing. Building for the future takes place over 2-4 years by buying promising kids in and building a squad from the roots. All of this investment in youth isnt looking for immediate impact this season, its looking for pushing over the next 5+ years. People need to be patient, even if it is frustrating.

Me too. Building for the future doesn't happen over 2 or 3 transfer windows unless you have billionaire backing. Building for the future takes place over 2-4 years by buying promising kids in and building a squad from the roots. All of this investment in youth isnt looking for immediate impact this season, its looking for pushing over the next 5+ years. People need to be patient, even if it is frustrating.

I'm delighted we're investing like this, I would just feel much happier us doing this if we had already signed a class first team striker.

I'm delighted we're investing like this, I would just feel much happier us doing this if we had already signed a class first team striker.

I agree but we dont have that kind of money. Instead we look at a long term, sustainable strategy. Just good sense.

Well we need to do something mate, we can't go into the new season without one.

And we're not, we're going with 4 strikers between the youth and existing staff. People just want a marquee signing apparently for the sake of a marquee signing.

I end having this debate every year and every year I'm proven correct. People need to be patient and not forget that theres still 5 weeks of the transfer window left!!!

We do actually have to play this season, we're not on a break for 3 or 4 years, so it'd be nice if we could also look to the here and now.

I'm not too bothered about signings in other positions, but a top quality striker is an absolute must.

Absolutely, and Ive no doubt Roberto will sort it out in the next month.

Absolutely, and Ive no doubt Roberto will sort it out in the next month.

Like I've said before, this is the one that needs sorting before the first game of the season, not on fucking deadline day! Not having a striker to finish games off cost us massively in the first few games last season, let's have learnt from that eh?

Like I've said before, this is the one that needs sorting before the first game of the season, not on fucking deadline day! Not having a striker to finish games off cost us massively in the first few games last season, let's have learnt from that eh?

I know, but thats a different argument all together.

And we're not, we're going with 4 strikers between the youth and existing staff. People just want a marquee signing apparently for the sake of a marquee signing.

I end having this debate every year and every year I'm proven correct. People need to be patient and not forget that theres still 5 weeks of the transfer window left!!!

I don't want a marquee signing, I want a 20 goal a season striker. Swansea got Bony, Villa nabbed Benteke they can be argued as none marquee signings but scored goals. I don't care if it's a 40 million pound superstar, Lukaku, Bacca anyone as long as they're going to get us the 20 goals a team who is looking to break the top 4 needs. Every single side in the top 4 has one and if you think we could go with what we have now and say Besic, GALLOWAY AND hannen then you're very niave and you don't strike me as a niave person to be honest.

I don't want a marquee signing, I want a 20 goal a season striker. Swansea got Bony, Villa nabbed Benteke they can be argued as none marquee signings but scored goals. I don't care if it's a 40 million pound superstar, Lukaku, Bacca anyone as long as they're going to get us the 20 goals a team who is looking to break the top 4 needs. Every single side in the top 4 has one and if you think we could go with what we have now and say Besic, GALLOWAY AND hannen then you're very niave and you don't strike me as a niave person to be honest.

That would be a marquee signing ;) Unless, Roberto is given time to find a gem and the negotiations are done properly.

2 great examples of my argument here, thanks! Bony was a club record 12m, so hardly bargain basement striker relative to his club. Benteke was 7m (2-3 years ago) on Transfer Deadline Day.

Im not being naive, nor am I saying we don't need a 20+ striker - just for the record only Liverpool had one of those last season (well 2). Ok Toure pulled in 20 from midfield too, though hes not a striker and still Citys leading scorer. Other top 4 strikers pulled no more than 17 in the league. Which goes to prove that a striker is needed, but that goals can come from other areas too.

Anyway, I digress. I do believe we need that high scoring striker but I am willing to be patient and trust the manager and board to find the right target at the right price. I am frustrated we havent brought in a swarm of players too, but I also completely understand that it takes time and agree with doing so.

Edited by Matt

City have a plethora of strikers who they rotate so you can probably count them out of that, Liverpool had one and Chelsea have an array of attacking midfielders who score plenty of goals that we simply cannot compete with. Arsenal are the only one arguably who didn't and hey were the ones we run close all season.

I used Bony and Benteke as an example to reenforce my point that I don't care who we get in. No neither were particularly cheap but they were hardly household names either so if it's to be a Bony or Benteke then great. As long as whoever it is scores goals then I'm fine with that, it doesn't have to break our transfer record either, I don't care I just want a goalscorer in. Last season we waited until deadline day and imo I think it cost us points so lets get whoever it is in early. If that means paying a bit extra in a fee and wages then so be it. Lets try and hit the ground running this season because we 're going to need to.

Edited by Paddock

I'm not disagreeing with anything of what you said to be fair but firstly, City havd a plethora Romelu Lukaku wordt op 30 juli verwacht bij Chelsea. Om zijn conditie te onderhouden trainde de spits ondertussen mee bij Anderlecht. Van een transfer is ondertussen nog geen sprake.

Meer: http://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2014-07-23/lukaku-op-training-anderlecht#ixzz38Iblcyzc

jij praat Nederlands?!

Or is that a copy / paste error?

City have a plethora of strikers who they rotate so you can probably count them out of that, Liverpool had one and Chelsea have an array of attacking midfielders who score plenty of goals that we simply cannot compete with. Arsenal are the only one arguably who didn't and hey were the ones we run close all season.

I used Bony and Benteke as an example to reenforce my point that I don't care who we get in. No neither were particularly cheap but they were hardly household names either so if it's to be a Bony or Benteke then great. As long as whoever it is scores goals then I'm fine with that, it doesn't have to break our transfer record either, I don't care I just want a goalscorer in. Last season we waited until deadline day and imo I think it cost us points so lets get whoever it is in early. If that means paying a bit extra in a fee and wages then so be it. Lets try and hit the ground running this season because we 're going to need to.

Fair point on City, I was being too literal. Liverpool had 2 and only Hazard got in to double figures from midfield, Schurrle and Oscar got 16 combined. Arsenal had Giroud with 16 whilst Ramsey and Podolski pulled in 18 between them:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/top-goalscorers.html

I dont care who we get in either, but I dont want us spending more money just to rush things. I do understand the "get them in early, get them settled" argument, I agree too, but not at the expense of a bigger fee tacked on. For example, lets say we can get Lukaku for 22m now instead of 18m which might be negotiated (this is all hypothetical by the way, just going on the current range of numbers being thrown around). Thats 4m difference, or a Besic. Would you rather wait and negotiate, thus allowing you to sign both, or pay a surplus and lose the funds for another player?

As annoying as it is, thats the situation we are in; we are forced into doing good business and that means playing hardball and being patient.

The point of us drawing the first 3 games is excellent, completely agree, but we still had strikers around the team and that didnt make a difference (we relied on a defender and midfielder for our only 2 goals in those 3 games). Goals have to come from all over, set pieces for example, rather than relying on a striker to do the job.