IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

We should aim but I don't think we'll get it still. EL will have a big say and if I'm honest, we need another 4/5 top signings to cope with all the competitions and truely compete.

Pretty much. We haven't actually improved things this summer yet, in terms of numbers. I'm a lot calmer about it now we have our main striker in place, but there's still a fair bit of work to do between now and the window closing.

Just throwing it out there. Can anyone remember a summer where we have strengthened and spent the money to the degree that we have without a single player leaving(correct me if I'm wrong)?

This business done so far this summer has been exceptional IMO. I was like a kid at Christmas for the best part of 2 days after we signed Rom. Coupled with the exciting prospect of our youngsters coming through and the signing of Barry and Besic in a position we knew that we had to strengthen I can't think of anything to complain about for a change! :lol:

Hope I haven't jynxed it now like but it has been a truly exceptional (:P) summer so far!

Just throwing it out there. Can anyone remember a summer where we have strengthened and spent the money to the degree that we have without a single player leaving(correct me if I'm wrong)?

This business done so far this summer has been exceptional IMO. I was like a kid at Christmas for the best part of 2 days after we signed Rom. Coupled with the exciting prospect of our youngsters coming through and the signing of Barry and Besic in a position we knew that we had to strengthen I can't think of anything to complain about for a change! :lol:

Hope I haven't jynxed it now like but it has been a truly exceptional ( :P) summer so far!

It's stretching things a bit to say we've strengthened isn't it? It's pretty much what we had when the season ended. We'll only have strengthened if we get some added numbers. But I'm confident Roberto will do that by the time the window closes.

The only difference so far from last season is we've swapped Besic for Delefeau (sp) although I'm not complaining about the window so far. 3 excellent signings and contracts for our best young players but we are definitely not stronger in the sense of squad size or quality..

It's stretching things a bit to say we've strengthened isn't it? It's pretty much what we had when the season ended. We'll only have strengthened if we get some added numbers. But I'm confident Roberto will do that by the time the window closes.

Depends which way you want to look at it. We've strengthened in terms of the long term outlook of the team, with Lukaku and Barry now signing contracts rather than a short term fix in a loan. And a 5 year deal for a promising 21 year old in a position we needed numbers in.

I agree though, we do need 1 or 2 in terms of just adding numbers to the squad. But I'm very happy with what's been done so far.

Depends which way you want to look at it. We've strengthened in terms of the long term outlook of the team, with Lukaku and Barry now signing contracts rather than a short term fix in a loan. And a 5 year deal for a promising 21 year old in a position we needed numbers in.

I agree though, we do need 1 or 2 in terms of just adding numbers to the squad. But I'm very happy with what's been done so far.

I think of we brought in Atsu on loan and signed another striker on a permanent or a centre half maybe that can cover left side naturally for Distin and please please please a new no2 as back up for Howard. Joel is utter shite.

I'm torn on the centre half with Jags, Distin, Stones, Alcaraz and Duffy we have 5 but I think Duffy may not have what it takes to be honest.

Everything so far has been done without eating into the allowance of four loanees, so that's a big step forward. Last minute loans are going to feel like a turbo engine kicking in.

Also need to account for increased minutes for Barkley and Stones. Then hopefully Kone and Alcaraz can stay at least sort of healthy. And then you figure one or two of Garbutt, Kennedy, Browning, etc. will earn some chances. And hopefully Martinez is leaving enough room in the budget for an addition or two in January.

We haven't added many new faces, but we haven't lost any, either. The squad's improvement will hopefully come from internal progression, being a bit healthier, and the few moves that Martinez has either already made or will make.

That puts us as having one more player in the squad than last year unless you count Gibson and Kone as "new signings"... I don't know, I wouldn't mind bringing in a few more on loan/cheap for depths sake.

I can't see us coping very well with the extra games, and added expectation, if we end the window with only one extra player. We'd have to be crazy lucky with injuries and form.

Say we win it. We qualify. Does that leave the four remaining places in the EPL?

If so, wouldn't that put 5 English teams in the CL and wouldn't Collina have to come out of retirement again?

Or does the league lose a place?

Q: What are the Champions League rule changes?

A: From 2015/16, the Europa League winners and the Champions League winners will both qualify for the following season's Champions League.

Q: Will the maximum number of clubs from the top nations such as England in the Champions League remain at four clubs?

A: No, there will be a maximum of five clubs but only under special circumstances.

Q: When can a country have five clubs in the Champions League?

A: Only when a club wins the Champions League or Europa League but finishes outside the top four in the domestic league. That happened last season when Chelsea finished sixth in the Premier League but took the Champions League spot from Tottenham who finished fourth, because they were European champions.

Q: Will a country be able to have six clubs if both Champions League and Europa League winners come from the same nation and both finish outside of the top four?

A: No - five is the maximum. In that unlikely scenario, the European trophy winners would qualify plus the top three.

Q: If the Champions League or Europa League winners finish inside the top four of their domestic league, will that allow the runners-up to qualify?

A: No, only the winners.

Q: Will the Europa League winners go straight into the group phase of the Champions League?

A: That has still to be confirmed but it appears that will usually be the case.

Q: If the Champions League or Europa League winners also qualify via their domestic league, will that allow the fifth-placed club in the league to take the 'spare' qualification place?

A: No, in that scenario there would still only be four clubs qualifying.

Guest blueboy122

Zaha doesn't look like he is really up to it and seems to have a bit of an attitude.

Kagawa... Yes please all day.

Forget the likes of Cleverly lets set our sights bigger and go for a real technical footballer in Kagawa.

http://www.football365.com/everton/9409193/Premier-League-Everton-boss-Roberto-Martinez-keen-to-add-wide-player-to-options

It's only one position (we need)," Martinez said. "We want to take as long as we can to see how quickly we can get the injured players back to being available for the first-team.

So it only a winger we're after before the window closes :o .

Hmm, and the seven players he said we needed at the end of last season??

Not a clue!

He also said we would definitely be utilising the loan market, so I'm assuming this winger will only be coming in on loan as well.

The kids must be looking very special in training.

Edited by Romey 1878

Not a clue!

He also said we would definitely be utilising the loan market, so I'm assuming this winger will only be coming in on loan as well.

The kids must be looking very special in training.

They're not though. Browning as an exception.

I'm a little worried with all the back tracking, I must admit. I just hope it's all clouding, rather than fact.

"We need 7 players" - Buys Rom and Besic - "We now need 5 players" - few days pass - "we're after 2, striker and a winger" - few days pass - "only after one, winger not one of them"....erm....have we secretly signed players?

NOw this morning - "It's only one position (we need)," Martinez said. "We want to take as long as we can to see how quickly we can get the injured players back to being available for the first-team."

Erm again, is this back tracking? Add to that, can only imagine he thinks Kone is the back up to Rom :(Shithouse.

Edited by tenaciousj

Roberto said on SSN this morning that he was after a wide player, the interviewer asked if it was Atsu, he replied, "Its a bit too early to name names". so i think it might go into late August, Six players woudnt be bad tho would it. ??..... Barry, Calloway, Henen, Besic, Lukaku, and Atsu ??

Edited by Bill