IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

I dont think were doing too badly as we are ...

..............................Howard .......................

Coleman .......Jags ......... Distin ......Baines

Mirallass ...... Barry .......McCarthy.. Pienaar /Oviedo

.......................Barkley... Lukaku ...............

........................... Robles ...........................

Hibbert .......Stones .. Alcaraz .. Garbutt

McGeady .. Gibson ... Osman ..... Besic

...................Naismith ... Kone ...............

Which leaves Browning, Kennedy, Duffy, McAleny, Ledson, and one other to play in emergencys. I dont see any reason to panic.

I think the panic has come after seeing how the back-up has performed during pre-season. We all know we have a quality first 11 or so but it's beyond that where the problems lie. And we were hoping for a couple more quality players to be part of that back-up.

Of those two squads it's apparent we have any great quality in depth, Robles, Hibbert, Alcaraz are very poor back-up to our first team, we need real quality challenging for positions and make our squad stronger. To an extent I would prefer better qualit yoptions to Naismith and Kone, I really don't think either are up to going into this season as competition to Lukaku. Gibson has had a bad spell with injuries since he's came to the club I really hope he can return to full fitness this season and push the starter's on. In my opinion there is a big difference in having bodies such as those I've listed and squad players very capable of coming in throughout the season to help us get 4th place. Also, Distin, Osman, Pienaar are a season or two away from realistically not being able to play each week, we should be looking to bring through the younger players or else try snap up some promising talent. I know I'd prefer home grown talent such as Duffy, Browning, Ledson, Kennedy, McAleny coming in and getting games than Alcaraz, Hibbert and Kone.. I really don't think they're up to getting us 4th. So basically, we need higher grade replacements than what we don't have I don't think the squad is strong enough to get 4th this season, and it would be a massive oppertunity missed. We should be looking at younger hungry players who we can find and buy for relatively cheap who will improve rather than shelling out 6m on Kone and playing Alcaraz.Wrong transfer strategy.

I will start worry about it if we are still in this position with 1 hour to go before the deadline closes!

We do need some more bodies in the squad but this is where the window really starts to hot up again after a slight lull. Utd will start selling and buying again and that will trigger off activity on its own, let alone the many other clubs looking to make some Fi Al purchases or loans.

Plus fwiw I think people are reading far too much into this preseason especially given the impact of the WC.

I think most concerns at present are our lack of striking options during pre-season, with only Naismith on show and three young lads who have had a few minutes here and there but didn't play last night. With RM already having said that Lukaku and Mirallas won't play at Paderborn and Kone still injured it probably won't be much different on Saturday either.

I think most concerns at present are our lack of striking options during pre-season, with only Naismith on show and three young lads who have had a few minutes here and there but didn't play last night. With RM already having said that Lukaku and Mirallas won't play at Paderborn and Kone still injured it probably won't be much different on Saturday either.

Pretty sure Martinez said Lukaku would be playing in that game when he signed didn't he?

Pretty sure Martinez said Lukaku would be playing in that game when he signed didn't he?

He said that at the start and then it was mentioned on Everton TV as well last night but I'm sure he has said he wants to give him mmore time to get him right for Leicester.

Playing football would do that.

Martinez obviously has a different plan for him and other managers are saying similar things about some of their WC players.

Just seen this from Jags as well. Looks like he had a knock last night.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-captain-phil-jagielka-7575413?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Martinez obviously has a different plan for him and other managers are saying similar things about some of their WC players.

Just seen this from Jags as well. Looks like he had a knock last night.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-captain-phil-jagielka-7575413?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seems stupid for him to go into the season cold to me. But hey ho!

Already thought Jags missed last night due to injury after taking a knock in the previous friendly.

To be fair, Arsenal have said none of their German players will feature at the start of the season. I was knocked sideways when I heard Whiner say this. I know they played in the final but for fucks sake, surely they can be back fit and ready for the start of the season.

I wouldn't be a bit happy if I was an Arsenal fan and we got off to a slow start.

I know I take the glass half full POV on just about everything but to me the squad is very close to being complete. One winger and one striker loan/permanent i dont really care. I dont understand all the pissing and moaning about the squad we've got. It is the deepest squad we have had in years. So our 4th CB and 2/3 option at RB aren't good or old and our 3rd ST is coming off a torn ACL and our 4th CM the same....this is what it is like to play with the big boys and I am over the moon that we challenged for 4th last year and this year we can do the same and play in Europe.

I know this forum is for opinions and I understand that we could use 5-6 more really good players but they aren't coming in, period. 14/20 PL clubs would die to be in our position we need to appreciate how special this squad is given the financial restrictions we operate under. Bitch and moan about that all you want (I know I do) but also realize how incredible the squad is considering.

To be fair the squad is no stronger than it was last season and we struggled at times then, so if you add the extra strain of European games then its fairly easy to understand why people are concerned

I know I take the glass half full POV on just about everything but to me the squad is very close to being complete. One winger and one striker loan/permanent i dont really care. I dont understand all the pissing and moaning about the squad we've got. It is the deepest squad we have had in years. So our 4th CB and 2/3 option at RB aren't good or old and our 3rd ST is coming off a torn ACL and our 4th CM the same....this is what it is like to play with the big boys and I am over the moon that we challenged for 4th last year and this year we can do the same and play in Europe.

I know this forum is for opinions and I understand that we could use 5-6 more really good players but they aren't coming in, period. 14/20 PL clubs would die to be in our position we need to appreciate how special this squad is given the financial restrictions we operate under. Bitch and moan about that all you want (I know I do) but also realize how incredible the squad is considering.

I agree completely. 2 years ago we had jelavic and anichebe. That was it. Anyone wish to go back to that? Didn't think so.

A lot of these guys bitch and moan a lot, we could win the league and they would be pissed we didn't win the league cup as well.

Screw it, I like the look of this team an know we should get another player or 2 on loan before the window is out. I'll take those 3 strikers over Louis Saha, jela, Vic, etc anyday.

To be fair the squad is no stronger than it was last season and we struggled at times then, so if you add the extra strain of European games then its fairly easy to understand why people are concerned

Saved me typing the exact same post.

No offence to some of our American fans here, I really admire their sense of positivity and willingness but fans who have followed Everton for decades that KNOW that you have to deal in reality is the brutal truth.

Being positive and wishing just isn't enough. To say our squad is the deepest it's been is not true, I appreciate NY is trying to put a positive spin on things but it's the same squad as last year (gerrard d for Besic) and we were wobbling and creaking at the seams at times . The hard truth is we have extra games to play and just as importantly we could get dragged to places like Ukraine, Russia, Moldova and other such extremities in the middle of winter then having to fly home and play again 3 days later. This in turn will definitely add to injuries, niggles and knocks and deplete the squad.

If anyone thiks the kids are going to see us through then they are sorely mistaken because theyvwont.

Same squad depth as last season when that squad showed it wasn't deep enough. And with extra games to play this time around. Yeah, just pissing and moaning about nothing. Obviously.

If we don't get the necessary depth then I fear we'll have qualified for Europe for nothing, because we'll suffer in some way or another - that being our league form or we'll go out of Europe with a whimper.

I'm one of the ones that was really pleased we qualified for the Europa when others weren't because they said it would effect our league form. But I wasn't worried because I truly thought Martinez would bring the numbers in we'd need. I'm still hopeful that come the transfer window shutting that he'll have done that, but if not then it could very well turn into a disappointing season in some respects.

They're valid concerns, so don't just brush them off as moaning for moanings sake.

Edited by Romey 1878

I have to agree with Romey regarding the squad having the same amount of depth as last year; however, the squad is deeper compared to three seasons ago.

I still think we need another winger(left-footed) and a younger CB to cover Distin with the intentions of eventually taking over for him. Obviously, another striker is preferable to challenge Lukaku, but I feel that way because of the question marks hanging over Kone's head. I also wouldn't mind acquiring another central attacking playmaker to challenge Barkley. I feel Pienaar could do a job there, but I have a feeling he's not going to get that opportunity very often.

I have to agree with Romey regarding the squad having the same amount of depth as last year; however, the squad is deeper compared to three seasons ago.

I still think we need another winger(left-footed) and a younger CB to cover Distin with the intentions of eventually taking over for him. Obviously, another striker is preferable to challenge Lukaku, but I feel that way because of the question marks hanging over Kone's head. I also wouldn't mind acquiring another central attacking playmaker to challenge Barkley. I feel Pienaar could do a job there, but I have a feeling he's not going to get that opportunity very often.

Mate, we need AT LEAST one more winger and FOR DEFO one more centre forward thats blatantly obvious looking at our pre season. I also think you're right about a cb but thats the last of my worries looking at us pre season. Right back worries me more at the minute.

We're crying out for attacking players to beef us out AND add quality.

Same squad depth as last season when that squad showed it wasn't deep enough. And with extra games to play this time around. Yeah, just pissing and moaning about nothing. Obviously.

If we don't get the necessary depth then I fear we'll have qualified for Europe for nothing, because we'll suffer in some way or another - that being our league form or we'll go out of Europe with a whimper.

I'm one of the ones that was really pleased we qualified for the Europa when others weren't because they said it would effect our league form. But I wasn't worried because I truly thought Martinez would bring the numbers in we'd need. I'm still hopeful that come the transfer window shutting that he'll have done that, but if not then it could very well turn into a disappointing season in some respects.

They're valid concerns, so don't just brush them off as moaning for moanings sake.

Boom.fookin.Boom.

To say our squad is the deepest it's been is not true, I appreciate NY is trying to put a positive spin on things but it's the same squad as last year (gerrard d for Besic) and we were wobbling and creaking at the seams at times .

Not quite. It's the same squad as it was after the transfer window closed last year; we can't compare like for like for another three and a half weeks, and a lot can happen in that time.

We were in meltdown last year until the last hour of the window and then we were in clover.

Still relaxed here.

Not quite. It's the same squad as it was after the transfer window closed last year; we can't compare like for like for another three and a half weeks, and a lot can happen in that time.

We were in meltdown last year until the last hour of the window and then we were in clover.

Still relaxed here.

Cmon Mike, you know what I meant, didn't you???

IF we stay as we are then we're in trouble is what I meant. And the more I listen to the jib coming from Martinez the more I'm starting to think this could be it.

If it is then we are exactly the same squad as we were last season bar 3 and a bit weeks. All the kids were there albeit a year older.

Cmon Mike, you know what I meant, didn't you???

IF we stay as we are then we're in trouble is what I meant. And the more I listen to the jib coming from Martinez the more I'm starting to think this could be it.

If it is then we are exactly the same squad as we were last season bar 3 and a bit weeks. All the kids were there albeit a year older.

Of course, but I just think people are panicking far too early. You should have been here this time last year, the world was coming to an end!

I just don't get the furore over what might be, there's ages yet and I'm far too young to have a heart attack.

They will be valid concerns if there are no more additions before 1st September. Until then theyre frustrations, understandable frustrations, and nerves considering the "lack of depth" we have.

But consider this. When Martinez talks about bringing kids through, I imagine it will be the League cup, to an even greater extent than last year, which will balance out somewhat the 1st teamers availability for Europe. Depends of course, who we draw and how we progress.

Then theres the players coming back from injury and the players who had breakthrough seasons. Stones is likely to be more involved, who wasnt considered much in the 1st half of the season. Neither was Alcaraz since he was always injured as was Hibbert. So we already have twice the backup at CB and another RB going into this season. Garbutt has put in a few decent performances in preseason again and Oviedo (who missed most of the season either injured or playing second fiddle to Baines) now offer genuine backup rather than names on the books. Besic and Gibson (again, injured most of the season) offer genuine backup, competition even, to Barry and McCarthy. Pienaar and Kone also missed a lot or most of last season so same applies. McGeady should be getting better match fitness so we have potential backup on the wings.

So between Stones, Alcaraz, Garbutt, Oviedo, Hibbert, Oviedo, Besic, Gibson, McGeady, Kone and Pienaar we have 11 players that we couldnt really turn to during the season (Besic the obvious exception), mostly because of fitness. Thats why we struggled; all the injuries forced us into picking from a vastly reduced squad. All of them are on their way back. It could be argued that thats exactly why we need more people in but theres no guarantee that will help either mind you, see our ill-fated loaned striker from January. We have the depth, we just need better luck with injuries and more youngsters breaking through. Luck we cannot influence, the kids however we can.

Im not sure if this makes sense, Ive done my shoulder in and am on horse pills for the pain so might be talking out of my ass (excuse the poor joke) but does it make sense? And, not to repeat myself again, there are 3 weeks to go until the window closes! We have done excellent work this transfer window in getting so many important players and the manager tied down, lets celebrate what we've done rather than worry about what may or may not happen in the near future.