IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Your right Bill, not bad business, for the Club, but as for what we need in the way of not just numbers, but decent players, to cope with the different competions we are in, so far we are in no better position than at the end of last season, and just hoping some of the injured players are back and fit in time.

I think we blew what we had on Lukaku. West Ham done the same with Carroll last season. I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse like it did them last season.

That being said I felt we had to pay whatever it took to get Lukaku as we've been so desperate for a 20 goal a season striker for so long that when the chance presented itself we 'd of been silly not to grab it.

Maybe it's just smoke and mirrors and we have people lined up but if we don't we go into next season with a lot more games to play and exactly the same squad (virtually) as last season.

I honestly think we're going to struggle if we do. The pre seasons been a shambles also. Players missing all over the place none of our key players seem to have got much match practice (baines excluded) Jagielka is injured, Coleman looks like he's going to miss the start of the season and Kone and Oviedo wont be ready and properly fit until October I would imagine.

The whole thing just seems unorganised, disjointed and wrong to me. Of course I'm not the manager or the coaches and theres a very good reason for that but I just get the feeling it's not been the best way to prepare.

Paddock, I think you must be a newcomer to supporting Everton, we all had cause to moan a few seasons ago, three or four seasons on the trot we were lucky if we signed anyone pre season and everybody had good reason to moan,

Martinez has been here for one season and he began with about 3 or 4 players last season, this season it could possibly be 6 or more players and everybody is still fooking moaning, People should get a grip, and think themselves lucky they dont support Blackpool.

Edited by Bill

People are 'moaning' about the fact that we keep getting conflicting information about signing players, either we are signing seven, or three, or five, or a striker, or a winger, or even a bloody new hotdog seller! just say whats happening, or, if they dont know, or dont want to say, than dont keep giving conflicting information. that is what is winding me up, I love Martinez, best thing thats happened to us for ages, and I am sure he has something planned, I would just rather not keep getting my hopes up of signing X amount of players, if it is not going to happen. Yes, we are aware of what we have had to put up with in the past, which is why we are hoping for something different now.

Paddock, I think you must be a newcomer to supporting Everton, we all had cause to moan a few seasons ago, three or four seasons on the trot we were lucky if we signed anyone pre season and everybody had good reason to moan,

Martinez has been here for one season and he began with about 3 or 4 players last season, this season it could possibly be 6 or more players and everybody is still fooking moaning, People should get a grip, and think themselves lucky they dont support Blackpool.

A new comer? My first match was 1979 against Birmingham. I've also posted how long I've been a season ticket holder elsewhere so most definitely not new, I almost resent that comment!!

If you think we'll be ok this season going with what we had last season then you need to have a quiet word with yourself. If you had read my post properly you would see I said I thought we should sign Lukaku no matter what.that doesn't mean I don't think we'll struggle without new bodies.

I guess Roberto will learn that he shouldn't say he wants 6-7 new bodies in the squad and then potentially change his mind and appear to backtrack later. I would guess that some of that need for fresh blood has been met by the young players he's talking about bringing into the first team squad from the U21s.

I had a quick Google to check what he's said and in late March it was six new players and he said, "‘If we get in Europe I think that makes a difference of six players. I always found you can work on a squad of 21 players in the league and for domestic competitions. You need around 27 players plus keepers for Europe. It doesn’t have to be 27 senior players, it can be young players too, but 27."

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2591052/Roberto-Martinez-wants-SIX-new-signings-make-Everton-European-force.html)

A month later in late April it was seven new players and he said "‘It’s not about improving the squad, it’s about increasing it. When you are playing in Europe you need six or seven new players. That’s the reality and we will do that. I get excited about bringing new players in. You need fresh blood."

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2614477/Roberto-Martinez-plans-SEVEN-summer-signings-help-Everton-finish-four.html)

Fast forward to mid-July and with Gareth Barry signed and Mo Besic on the way, it was down to "three attacking players", of which Lukaku has now signed: “We want to bring in three attacking players,” Martinez said. “We feel that we are OK in terms of goalkeeper and defence, but we definitely want one midfielder and three attackers.”

(http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-boss-roberto-martinez-7457066)

So on that basis we should still be in the market for two more attacking players, which is what most of us seem to agree on. I reckon a winger by this time next week and another forward by the end of the window.

I'm guessing that of his initial desire for 6-7 new players, he's decided that the likes of Browning and Garbutt have proved ready to cover a couple of positions, plus Besic has played midfield and defence in his career so maybe he sees that as a bonus. It still leaves us short of the 27 bodies plus keepers he wanted though. We might just have the numbers but there are some very inexperienced ones in there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least two loans by the end of the window. I'd also expect to see Henen (if he ever signs) to be pressing for a first team place before the season is over.

I can't understand why we wouldn't use at least 2 loan slots up. Have Barry and Lukaku nailed our wages to the limit?

Its 3 wages on 60k+, so I imagine its made quite a dent

We need another striker and a winger. The backup striker is important.

We have 2 already, Kone and Naismith. Even Mirallas can play there and we have Long and McAleny at a push.

Need vs would like. We need 1 more position filled (LW), we would like to have another striker and maybe cover for RB. I'm not worried he's changing his words, so long as our final permanent signing is a good'un and we get 1-2 loans in.

If Lukaku gets injured we're relying on Naismith and Kone. Naismith isn't the best at leading the line. Jury still out on Kone's fitness

If Lukaku gets injured we're relying on Naismith and Kone. Naismith isn't the best at leading the line. Jury still out on Kone's fitness

Naismith did a great job in Lukakus absense earlier this year and I was a little annoyed that Rom just walked back in. He is a very different striker, makes the space for others like Mirallas and Barkley to exploit.

Im not worried about striking options at all

I had a quick Google to check what he's said and in late March it was six new players and he said, "‘If we get in Europe I think that makes a difference of six players. I always found you can work on a squad of 21 players in the league and for domestic competitions. You need around 27 players plus keepers for Europe. It doesn’t have to be 27 senior players, it can be young players too, but 27."

Hibbert, Baines, Gibson, Jagielka, McGeady, Oviedo, Kone, Lukaku, Mirallas, Naismith, Distin, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Barry, Osman, Pienaar, Coleman, Stones, Browning, Garbutt, Alcaraz, Kennedy, Duffy, McAleny, Lundstram, Ledson is twenty-seven :).

Hibbert, Baines, Gibson, Jagielka, McGeady, Oviedo, Kone, Lukaku, Mirallas, Naismith, Distin, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Barry, Osman, Pienaar, Coleman, Stones, Browning, Garbutt, Alcaraz, Kennedy, Duffy, McAleny, Lundstram, Ledson is twenty-seven :).

Lundstram has gone to Blackpool. Drag another kid in instead!

Its not just about numbers, its about having a squad not only big enough, but good enough, to cope while fighting on all fronts so to speak. Also, having players who will stay fit enough, (Kone? Gibson? Alcaraz?). Its all very well saying we can make up numbers with the youngsters, but I would like to see us field teams who are good enough to challenge to win whatever competion we are in, not just have enough numbers to field a team.

It's not time to get all bent out of shape yet. Save your evaluations of our transfer dealings and Roberto's performance for after the window closes.

Right now, I think he's playing the game, making it look like we have nothing, in order to get some good deals.

Think that's what we're all hoping for.

Trouble is, transfer window closes AFTER the start of the season, and last season, the first few games cost us dearly, I was kinda hoping we would have learned from that, and had personnel in place to have a pre-season with the team. before the start of the games in earnest (or even in Leicester!) :)

Though I guess to be fair, last season start, we did not have Barry, Lukaku, McCarthy, Besic, however, neither did we have Arsenal or Chelsea that I can recall :unsure:

Edited by bassman

I dont think were doing too badly as we are ...

..............................Howard .......................

Coleman .......Jags ......... Distin ......Baines

Mirallass ...... Barry .......McCarthy.. Pienaar /Oviedo

.......................Barkley... Lukaku ...............

........................... Robles ...........................

Hibbert .......Stones .. Alcaraz .. Garbutt

McGeady .. Gibson ... Osman ..... Besic

...................Naismith ... Kone ...............

Which leaves Browning, Kennedy, Duffy, McAleny, Ledson, and one other to play in emergencys. I dont see any reason to panic.

I dont think were doing too badly as we are ...

..............................Howard .......................

Coleman .......Jags ......... Distin ......Baines

Mirallass ...... Barry .......McCarthy.. Pienaar /Oviedo

.......................Barkley... Lukaku ...............

........................... Robles ...........................

Hibbert .......Stones .. Alcaraz .. Garbutt

McGeady .. Gibson ... Osman ..... Besic

...................Naismith ... Kone ...............

Which leaves Browning, Kennedy, Duffy, McAleny, Ledson, and one other to play in emergencys. I dont see any reason to panic.

Hmm, good call Bill