IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Fair point on City, I was being too literal. Liverpool had 2 and only Hazard got in to double figures from midfield, Schurrle and Oscar got 16 combined. Arsenal had Giroud with 16 whilst Ramsey and Podolski pulled in 18 between them:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/top-goalscorers.html

I dont care who we get in either, but I dont want us spending more money just to rush things. I do understand the "get them in early, get them settled" argument, I agree too, but not at the expense of a bigger fee tacked on. For example, lets say we can get Lukaku for 22m now instead of 18m which might be negotiated (this is all hypothetical by the way, just going on the current range of numbers being thrown around). Thats 4m difference, or a Besic. Would you rather wait and negotiate, thus allowing you to sign both, or pay a surplus and lose the funds for another player?

As annoying as it is, thats the situation we are in; we are forced into doing good business and that means playing hardball and being patient.

The point of us drawing the first 3 games is excellent, completely agree, but we still had strikers around the team and that didnt make a difference (we relied on a defender and midfielder for our only 2 goals in those 3 games). Goals have to come from all over, set pieces for example, rather than relying on a striker to do the job.

Matt, I can't disagree with anything you say mate I really can 't and I totally understand that the clubs in a position where we have to be very careful with what we spend and I also agree with this. But how many times have we done this and been gazumped by another club or lost out on a player dilly dallying trying to get the best deal?

In the past we have had no option but to do this, but this season in particular we're supposed to be financially well off so for once lets just pay the money and get Lukaku. It's not often we have the chance to sign a player like this. The boy COULD turn out to be the new Drogba, I'm only speculating myself now but he could. He's 21 and his sell on value again COULD be phenomenal. Sll the signs are pointing to Chelsea wanting rid and he is keen to come so lets take.a chance on this one and not risk losing what could be our key to a cl spot and a massive profit to help the club progress further in 5 years time.

That's my take on it anyway

Matt, I can't disagree with anything you say mate I really can 't and I totally understand that the clubs in a position where we have to be very careful with what we spend and I also agree with this. But how many times have we done this and been gazumped by another club or lost out on a player dilly dallying trying to get the best deal?

In the past we have had no option but to do this, but this season in particular we're supposed to be financially well off so for once lets just pay the money and get Lukaku. It's not often we have the chance to sign a player like this. The boy COULD turn out to be the new Drogba, I'm only speculating myself now but he could. He's 21 and his sell on value again COULD be phenomenal. Sll the signs are pointing to Chelsea wanting rid and he is keen to come so lets take.a chance on this one and not risk losing what could be our key to a cl spot and a massive profit to help the club progress further in 5 years time.

That's my take on it anyway

Yes we are better off, but that better of is from being flat broke to getting some pocket change, rather than comfortable to cash to flash. We still have to be careful even if we dont have to sell to buy this time.

I've been championing Lukaku for a long time, so you dont need to convince me of a all people :lol:

All the signs are pointing to Chelsea wanting to cash in (which for the life of me I cant understand), I agree. Considering we are consistently touted as being linked, whereas teams like Juve, Wolfsburg, Spurs even, the rumours last a few days / a week which makes me think that there is something in place and we are haggling on the 1-2m that will make a world of difference to us and bugger all for Chelsea.

Unfortunately it all comes down to patience :(

Yes we are better off, but that better of is from being flat broke to getting some pocket change, rather than comfortable to cash to flash. We still have to be careful even if we dont have to sell to buy this time.

I've been championing Lukaku for a long time, so you dont need to convince me of a all people :lol:

All the signs are pointing to Chelsea wanting to cash in (which for the life of me I cant understand), I agree. Considering we are consistently touted as being linked, whereas teams like Juve, Wolfsburg, Spurs even, the rumours last a few days / a week which makes me think that there is something in place and we are haggling on the 1-2m that will make a world of difference to us and bugger all for Chelsea.

Unfortunately it all comes down to patience :(

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you or I want or think, what will happen will happen regardless of our opinions, doubts and fears. I don't doubt for one minute the club are working ferociously behind the scenes to make things happen and what will be will be and there's fuck all you or I can do to change it.

I guess that's why it's good to come to places like this to vent your spleen, moan, cry, rant , whine and listen to other peoples points of view. Sometimes I think it helps us all at times see things in a different light.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you or I want or think, what will happen will happen regardless of our opinions, doubts and fears. I don't doubt for one minute the club are working ferociously behind the scenes to make things happen and what will be will be and there's fuck all you or I can do to change it.

I guess that's why it's good to come to places like this to vent your spleen, moan, cry, rant , whine and listen to other peoples points of view. Sometimes I think it helps us all at times see things in a different light.

fair enough :)

I'd rather wait for Lukaku and have the 20 goal a season striker, than rush for another player before the first game who might not do so well.

The frustration of waiting is killing me, but if we have him signed up for the next few years it will be worth the wait.

I'd rather wait for Lukaku and have the 20 goal a season striker, than rush for another player before the first game who might not do so well.

The frustration of waiting is killing me, but if we have him signed up for the next few years it will be worth the wait.

What I'm saying is I'd rather meet Chelsea's demands and get him before someone else does.

The longer it drags on the more I can see someone nipping in and getting him from under our nose.

I agree with you on that. I don't think the delay is due to us haggling over a few million to be honest. They can work that side of it out in one conversation, I think Chelsea will delay until Mourinho has one more striker signed. He said he's done with transfers but I think that's bollocks.

I agree with you on that. I don't think the delay is due to us haggling over a few million to be honest. They can work that side of it out in one conversation, I think Chelsea will delay until Mourinho has one more striker signed. He said he's done with transfers but I think that's bollocks.

He 's training with Anderlecht at the minute which I find really strange.

He's still on his summer break in Belgium, he'll only be light training with them to keep his fitness up. But yeah, strange at another team, but aren't they linked to Chelsea somehow?

Don't know about that but they are his former team so it'd make sense if he's out there to keep his fitness up with them.

I firmly believe the deal with Chelsea has been agreed for some time, it's other factors like you say as to why it hasn't happened.

Like I've said before, this is the one that needs sorting before the first game of the season, not on fucking deadline day! Not having a striker to finish games off cost us massively in the first few games last season, let's have learnt from that eh?

Disagree. Lukaku may not have been available in early August last year but Jose decided a loan would benefit on deadline day. Imagine if we had spent 10-15 in early August last year and that striker was a complete flop. Im all for "sacrificing" the first 3 games if it means we get that type of quality in, Lukaku was immense last season.

Also last year that was the first 3 games under Roberto this year we should be able to get results in the first 3 games with Naismith leading the line. Ideal, certainly not but I would wait as long as possible to get Rom back.

Disagree. Lukaku may not have been available in early August last year but Jose decided a loan would benefit on deadline day. Imagine if we had spent 10-15 in early August last year and that striker was a complete flop. Im all for "sacrificing" the first 3 games if it means we get that type of quality in, Lukaku was immense last season.

Also last year that was the first 3 games under Roberto this year we should be able to get results in the first 3 games with Naismith leading the line. Ideal, certainly not but I would wait as long as possible to get Rom back.

Each to their own.

Sacrifice 3 games?? I would never sacrifice a half never mind 3 games what an utterly ridiculous thing to say. What if those 3 games are thre difference in a cl spot? Granted the Lukaku situation last season was an unknown but to say lets potentially ruin our whole season to wait and get Lukaku cheaper is ridiculous.

Imagine we startin with 3 defeats? Conceivable anyway if we lose to liecester, that could lead to a confidence drop and start a really bad run which we may never recover from. If we're serious about top four this season we have fto hit the ground running and never stop not take risks by sacrificing games. Wtf??!!?

Sacrifice 3 games?? I would never sacrifice a half never mind 3 games what an utterly ridiculous thing to say. What if those 3 games are thre difference in a cl spot? Granted the Lukaku situation last season was an unknown but to say lets potentially ruin our whole season to wait and get Lukaku cheaper is ridiculous.

Imagine we startin with 3 defeats? Conceivable anyway if we lose to liecester, that could lead to a confidence drop and start a really bad run which we may never recover from. If we're serious about top four this season we have fto hit the ground running and never stop not take risks by sacrificing games. Wtf??!!?

Not quite so ridiculous if that time frame allows us to save money and bring in the extra body, which will come in handy since we're competing on 4 fronts this season.

Not quite so ridiculous if that time frame allows us to save money and bring in the extra body, which will come in handy since we're competing on 4 fronts this season.

C'mon Matt, you should never sacrifice any games. We're gonna need every game and try and glean everything we can out of them. To suggest potentially sacrificing 3 games 9 points imo just doesn't even bear thinking about. I'm not gonna waffle on again I've already said what I think earlier on this page but playing that game to save a few quid could ultimately cost us millions in either a cl place or a sell on fee from Lukaku.

Dangerous game to play in my eyes.

C'mon Matt, you should never sacrifice any games. We're gonna need every game and try and glean everything we can out of them. To suggest potentially sacrificing 3 games 9 points imo just doesn't even bear thinking about. I'm not gonna waffle on again I've already said what I think earlier on this page but playing that game to save a few quid could ultimately cost us millions in either a cl place or a sell on fee from Lukaku.

Dangerous game to play in my eyes.

I was just pointing out the otherside of the argument. I want us to go out and win every game every time, but I wouldnt pay an extra 3-4m to have a player a couple weeks earlier if it means we cannot bring in an extra body on the chance that that expensive player makes such an impact over the 3 games.

Edited by Matt

I put the quotes on sacrifice for a reason. I wasn't suggesting actually using that word verbatim. My point is simply that I don't buy into the premise that the squad needs to be completed by August 16th. We all know what Lukaku brings to the table, if we have to wait until August 31st to get him, IMO so be it. All summer this forum has talked about how far we have come under Roberto...if that's the case we should be able to win games with Naismith up front, hell we have to because our best striker cant play 50 games and Naismith is likely to remain our number 2 behind Lukaku or whoever we sign as the number 1 this season.

What I'm saying is I'd rather meet Chelsea's demands and get him before someone else does.

The longer it drags on the more I can see someone nipping in and getting him from under our nose.

You don't think the manager and board don't know that? If there was a risk, they'd act now. If the deal is mostly done, it's safe to negotiate the price down. Patience!

With financial fair play, I would hope that every club will be forced to do business more carefully - although the rich usually find a way around any restrictions. Wasn't it Rockefeller who was asked the most effective and reliable way to get rich? "Slowly."

I was just pointing out the otherside of the argument. I want us to go out and win every game every time, but I wouldnt pay an extra 3-4m to have a player a couple weeks earlier if it means we cannot bring in an extra body on the chance that that expensive player makes such an impact over the 3 games.

The more this argument rages, the more convinced I am that I want to sell a car to Paddock. :) "The other buyer is out of the country right now but he gets back this weekend. If you don't buy today, you know you'll never find another car like this one. You'll regret the delay for years to come."

The more this argument rages, the more convinced I am that I want to sell a car to Paddock. :) "The other buyer is out of the country right now but he gets back this weekend. If you don't buy today, you know you'll never find another car like this one. You'll regret the delay for years to come."

You can try but you'll end up getting those Cornish pants of yours pulled down Steve, ghat I will guarantee. Especially if it comes to selling/buying a car ;)

But in all seriousness you have your opinions and that's fine but past dealings show we have a history of getting gazumped while trying to wrangle s deal. If you honestly think that the board and manager are sitting there actually knowing they have most definately got this wrapped up so they can fuck Chelsea about until they bend and give us him cheaper you are seriously mistaken. Lukakus agent will be touting him everywhere, talking to clubs explaining the situation to them and what he wants/is available for. Lets say (and I'm talking hypothetically here) Remy (for arguments sake) fails his medical tonight, what's stopping Brenda telling Ayres he wants him and Liverpool offering the full amount up front and huge wages. Moratta breaking his leg in training, Who knows if Wolfsburg are frantically trying to get funds for him, Athletico, Spurs? All these could be ready to pounce any day now and what will his agent say to him if they do? "Listen Rom , I know you preferred to go to Everton but they're seriously fucking Chelsea around because they don't think you 're worth the money they wont pay it. where-as <insert club> have offered the lot and are also offering better wages.. Who is he going to listen to? His agent of course who by the way wont give a flying fuck where he goes as long as he gets a payday.

But just to put your car analogy into perspective IF you had a car that was as unique as Lukaku and would probably double my money for me in the future then I probably would bite your hand off and pay you quickly before someone else came along and took it from under my nose

Edited by Paddock

But we ain't all physios are we. Why not just come out and say it looks like he'll be out for a few weeks. Instead of stuff like it's a soft tissue injury..., which to me (before I'd heard him say that phrase) sounds as though it's not a bad injury. The times he said that and the player missed out on over a month if football.

Now when he says that I'll just presume the players out for weeks.

Maybe its because soft tissue injuries can be difficult to diagnose? Look how many issues Rodwell has had with soft tissue injuries! Even when Kone first picked up the knock they thought he would be back in a couple of weeks but it turned out to be worse than first thought and in the end its been quite a nasty and obviously persistent injury that is frustratingly not healing as expected. Fwiw soft tissue injuries can be far worse than breaking bones etc.

Another thing to consider is the psychological element for the player. A player that has been out for a long time wants a light at the end of the tunnel. I imagine that sometimes the back room staff might be a little economical with the truth in order to keep the player motivated. Unfortunately the world isnt as black and white as you want it Cotto.

Maybe its because soft tissue injuries can be difficult to diagnose? Look how many issues Rodwell has had with soft tissue injuries! Even when Kone first picked up the knock they thought he would be back in a couple of weeks but it turned out to be worse than first thought and in the end its been quite a nasty and obviously persistent injury that is frustratingly not healing as expected. Fwiw soft tissue injuries can be far worse than breaking bones etc.

Another thing to consider is the psychological element for the player. A player that has been out for a long time wants a light at the end of the tunnel. I imagine that sometimes the back room staff might be a little economical with the truth in order to keep the player motivated. Unfortunately the world isnt as black and white as you want it Cotto.

There's plenty of managers out there who say it as it is.... Out for 6 weeks etc

The soft tissue injury made it sound as though it wasn'ttoo bad. Last season there was very little communication from the club in terms of length out.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Just looked soft tissue injuries up to try and educate myself a bit on it. You're right ligaments are included but it says these injuries are sprains and strains and I think he did a bit more than either of those seeing as he was out for so long.

So I'm not sure you can really include his injury? Could be wrong like coz I'm not a physio and only did a quick read up!

Really? I see soft tissue injuries as lesser injuries; like straining your hamstring etc, and not being out for 9 months due to rupturing a ligament for example.

Soft tissue is defined as, "nonepithelial extraskeletal mesenchyme exclusive of the riticuloendothelial system and glia."
Or, for the laymen amonst us; "tissues that support, connect or surround other structures and organs of the body, not being bone. It includes tendons, ligaments, fascia, skin, fibrous tissues, fat and synovial membranes (which are connective tissues), and muscles, nerves and blood vessels (which are not connective tissue)."