IGNORED

Now Martinez has gone, who should get the nod...

Lowensda

Rudi Garcia's still available (a name I don't think has been mentioned as much as it should), kept Roma very competitive for a few years after a bad spell for the club. Turned Totti into the focal point of the team, which made them tick (think how Barkley could be used in ours).

Here is a tactical overview of his work.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/11/11/analysis-in-depth-look-at-romas-flexibility-triangles-totti-under-rudi-garcia/

Available. Viable. Great coach.

I'm convinced, love his patterns of play in that analysis. Barkley could easily do Totti's role, lets keep being optimistic, he can bring Di Rossi in to continue in his role. Di Rossi with McCarthy, Cleverley, Barkley, Geri and Rom in front of him playing in that style could be immense.

Can Garcia also train his players to defend?

I'm convinced, love his patterns of play in that analysis. Barkley could easily do Totti's role, lets keep being optimistic, he can bring Di Rossi in to continue in his role. Di Rossi with McCarthy, Cleverley, Barkley, Geri and Rom in front of him playing in that style could be immense.

In the Italian league? Whats the point? :P

That's the thing, we have the players to play in the new European style of football but we refuse to take note of the areas that need addressing. Many of the coaches now press defensively but we don't do anything.

So we're kind of half European style (offensive) and half, League 2 'don't fucking bother' (defensively).

Garcia has managed a few clubs and has the experience. Totti thinks he's wonderful. Just a bad spell (they fell to 8th from consecutive 2nd place finishes) cost him his job. He'd have pulled it around i'm sure.

The only concern is he likes 'fashionable' players. The Roma team was littered with names. Favre on the other hand, likes to 'buy to build'. So he'll pick up non-fashionable players to benefit the team.

Barkley is nothing like Totti, who is a very intelligent player. Barkley's skill set is very different.

Thanks for the input Makis.

I didn't say they were similar, I said Barkley could easily do the same role.

So how could he do the same role if he is a different type of player? Totti is about great positioning, and good and intelligent passing.

So how could he do the same role if he is a different type of player? Totti is about great positioning, and good and intelligent passing.

Barkley is till young, has much to learn. Totti was like a fine wine, just got better with age.

The comparisons are really drawn from the fact he plays in a No.10 role, local lad, tall, good with both feet....but Ross still has a long way to go to be like Totti. The comparisons are 'just', when not talking directly on ability.

What we need is a hairdryer manager ... one who will make them play to win for a full match right up until the final whistle.

Not a serious choice but a Sam Allardyce type of manager. Or a Slavan Bilic type. Maybe an Alex Fergusson type. Just someone who can put the boot into a lazy b'stard when needed. BUT can also achieve things

Barkley is till young, has much to learn. Totti was like a fine wine, just got better with age.

The comparisons are really drawn from the fact he plays in a No.10 role, local lad, tall, good with both feet....but Ross still has a long way to go to be like Totti. The comparisons are 'just', when not talking directly on ability.

But that's the thing. Totti was the key to Garcia's system at Roma so he would need to change that somewhat for Barkley. I'm not saying it can't be done but I think trying to turn Barkley into Totti would be like trying to force a square block into a round hole.

I went through the serious, or not quite so serious possibilities that I have seen or thought of and threw in a few extra suggestions. I do suspect that Moshiri will not sack Martinez right away. He will set goals and expect Martinez to deliver because he’ll have the dispatcher’s number in speed dial.

Ancelotti: Has won a lot, but also always has been at a top club when doing so. He seems to like to include as many star players into his team as he can.

AVB: No thanks. He has done well as long as it’s not in the Premier League. Problem is he is tactically quite inflexible and his preferred tactic (high defensive line but not very aggressive pressing) is problematic against quality opposition.

Benitez: Good for laughs, but otherwise nah.

Cocu: Definitely the wrong tactics for Premier League. No pressing, no tackling and skillful players can easily exploit the weaknesses. No ta.

De Boer: So-so. Dutch league is not that competitive but he has a good track record for developing youngster. Still, I’m not totally convinced.

Emery: Yes please. One of the best managers around. Interestingly he usually employs a tactic that would be a good fit for the current Everton setup. Might be hard to convince to leave Sevilla, though. One of the best tacticians around and a good man-manager to boot and has a good track-record with young players. http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/23/tactical-philosophy-unai-emery/

Favre: Tactically astute, his teams can both attack and defend although attacking is more based on devastating counter-attacks. But his teams are tactically flexible. Also has a good track record with youngsters. http://theinsidechannel.com/lucien-favres-tactics-at-borussia-monchengladbach/

Garcia: Did a really good job at Roma. I’m not so sure if Barkley can play the Totti role, though. Totti has fantastic vision and intelligence and this was key to Garcia’s Rome. http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/11/11/analysis-in-depth-look-at-romas-flexibility-triangles-totti-under-rudi-garcia/

Gourvennec: If we want to go with an interesting off-field choice (I doubt this) Guincamp’s Gourvennec could be an interesting choice. http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2291796/jocelyn-gourvennec-guingamps-answer-to-jurgen-klopp

Hecking: Another choice from the Bundesliga. And like they come, tactically astute and good with youngsters. Style is also pretty entertaining.

Hiddink: Obviously does a good job wherever he goes but in the past five seasons he has had five different jobs. I’d rather look at someone who stays for at least three years.

Howe: Maybe in a few years time. Still to prove himself.

Koeman: Is he really doing that great? He’s doing well, but is 9th in the league really that good for Southampton? Having said that, he’s clearly still learning so I wouldn’t be completely against even though he isn’t in my top three.

Mourinho: I’m torn with this one. Obviously the team would improve on the pitch, but he is so not Everton with his style. But still… he’d almost certainly bring some silverware.

Moyes: We have moved on.

Pellegrini: Just because this season hasn’t been stellar doesn’t mean Pellegrini isn’t a top manager. He did a fantastic job at Villareal (for instance getting into CL semi-finals), his Real Madrid team established a new club points record, and repeated that at Malaga (they, too, played well in the CL). And of course City won the Premier League with him. And remember how free-flowing they were that season.

Simeone: One of the most sought-after managers in the world. Produces world-class players who are then sold on and still Atletico stays competitive. The one caveat is I’m not sure the current Everton squad would fit his philosophy of high pressing, high intensity and fighting spirit.

Great summary for all the managers listed and your thoughts, are very similar to my own. The main differences in my choices would be;

Verdict:

Yes to Emery, Favre, Garcia, Simeone (highly unlikely though).

Maybe to: Mourinho (it'll cost you money, players and style), Hecking, Pellegrini

Not sure(Gamble): De Boer (i'm not that sold on him and Cocu is in the same boat for me), Koeman, Howe (like you, needs another top flight challenge before I can judge), Benitez (obvious reasons)

Edited by Lowensda

The only reason I'm for Mourinho is that if we want to win silverware in the next three seasons, he is the best bet out of any manager. And he would have a huge pulling power for the players.

I forgot that Favre does have one big if: he seems a bit unstable. He walked out of his last job all of a sudden and despite being pleaded to stay, because he felt he couldn't help the team overcome the slump they were in.

It'll be a Stubbs/Ferguson partnership and we'll win the league, Champions League, European Super Cup and World Club Cup within three years, plus two FA Cups (beating Liverpool 7-0 in one final and Arsenal 8-0 in the other). No League Cups though, we're just not destined to ever win that.

At least that's what my dream said :unsure:.

Honestly the more and more i think about it. I think Moshiri will give Roberto next year, during which time he will be taking over the majority of the club and then after next campaign he will either sack martinez (if he hasn't won a trophy or CL) or sign him to another deal (if he wins stuff). I dont' think the new owner wants to fire him just yet, i'd think he would want continuity while he takes over.

Honestly the more and more i think about it. I think Moshiri will give Roberto next year, during which time he will be taking over the majority of the club and then after next campaign he will either sack martinez (if he hasn't won a trophy or CL) or sign him to another deal (if he wins stuff). I dont' think the new owner wants to fire him just yet, i'd think he would want continuity while he takes over.

I think it all depends on the rest of the season. The majority of fans either want him out or they are struggling to defend him. A few more poor results and the Martinez supporters (myself included) will start to turn, then i cant really see Moshiri wanting to hand over £100m transfer kitty to a manager who has lost the fans.

So we're kind of half European style (offensive) and half, League 2 'don't fucking bother' (defensively).

Bit harsh on League 2. Defending crosses is bread and butter in the lower leagues. I can vouch for the fact that Martinez did not get his abysmal lack of attention to defending the wide ball from his time at the mighty Chester...