Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Even though this appears to be posted in the wrong thread, I will comment.

It should all be sorted by 2027 then.

Why is it in wrong thread mate? Part of the Brexit argument was that the EU restricted trade. Here's an example of the EU extending trade to the worlds 3rd biggest economy.

I'm sure it will take a while, that's realistic. Unlike a 2 year timeline to leave :rofl:

Why is it in wrong thread mate? Part of the Brexit argument was that the EU restricted trade. Here's an example of the EU extending trade to the worlds 3rd biggest economy.

I'm sure it will take a while, that's realistic. Unlike a 2 year timeline to leave :rofl:

Between the Japanese, who are the world's experts at negotiating deals which are to their advantage, and the EU bureaucrats, you are right that it will 'take a while'. :rofl:

Between the Japanese, who are the world's experts at negotiating deals which are to their advantage, and the EU bureaucrats, you are right that it will 'take a while'. :rofl:

naturally, complex situations take a long time to resolve ;)

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/quick-us-trade-deal-will-signal-uk-easy-prey

Added difficulty in this is the fact that the UK has no expertise in negotiating its own trade deals.

There is a risk the UK government will end up signing a lot of very bad deals quickly to prove a point. Just one more hidden difficulty of brexit.

Edited by holystove

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/quick-us-trade-deal-will-signal-uk-easy-prey

Added difficulty in this is the fact that the UK has no expertise in negotiating its own trade deals.

There is a risk the UK government will end up signing a lot of very bad deals quickly to prove a point. Just one more hidden difficulty of brexit.

The UK has been a trading nation throughout its history. 'No expertise in negotiating its own trade deals' is the most naive comment I have ever seen on the internet.

The UK has been a trading nation throughout its history. 'No expertise in negotiating its own trade deals' is the most naive comment I have ever seen on the internet.

"Trading nation throughout its history"? Make that expansionist, colonialist, asset stripping, murdering empire builders! "I'll trade you this bag of beads for your countries mineral rights as long as we can kill all the indigenous people who protest that we're on their land; take the deal or we'll kill you as well".

I don't think that sort of agreement will be signed off today.

"Trading nation throughout its history"? Make that expansionist, colonialist, asset stripping, murdering empire builders! "I'll trade you this bag of beads for your countries mineral rights as long as we can kill all the indigenous people who protest that we're on their land; take the deal or we'll kill you as well".

that only applies to Vikings :shaking fist:

UK is hiring foreigners (a new zealander, iirc) to head up their negotiating team and civil servants are given textbooks on tariffs and non tariff barriers and how to do trade deals. (no joke).

The trade experts the UK does have all work for the EU and May doesnt want them because they all think brexit is a dumb idea.

Noone denies UK was an empire (or "trading nation"), holds little relevance today though.

You haven't seen May's bag of beads! ?

What did the Romans ever do for us. I'm surprised you only went back 250 years..

Mike, as you seem to have a guilt complex in being British and as you are obviously enamoured of the EU, I thought I would help by suggesting some EU countries you could apply to for citizenship. France - no, colonialists too. Germany - lets not go there. Holland - colonialists, Denmark - Vikings (how far are we going back). Little Belgium - in the late 19th Century King Leopold ll became one of the worlds greatest mass murderers, killing an estimated 10m inhabitants of the Congo. Then there's the Spanish Inquisition. Could go on but have come across Malta, which seems the best bet. Hope this helps.

Mike, as you seem to have a guilt complex in being British and as you are obviously enamoured of the EU, I thought I would help by suggesting some EU countries you could apply to for citizenship. France - no, colonialists too. Germany - lets not go there. Holland - colonialists, Denmark - Vikings (how far are we going back). Little Belgium - in the late 19th Century King Leopold ll became one of the worlds greatest mass murderers, killing an estimated 10m inhabitants of the Congo. Then there's the Spanish Inquisition. Could go on but have come across Malta, which seems the best bet. Hope this helps.

I was commenting on your point that we'd been a trading nation throughout our history John; I'm fully aware that a shameful past isn't unique to us, but that wasn't what we were talking about :).

Oh, and I have no "guilt complex" about being British because it all (almost all anyway) happened before I was born. We'd largely seen the error of our ways by then, as had all of Europe.

this is not a good post John.

Anyway, here's how this will all probably end : https://www.ft.com/content/d992b7c0-62fc-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

Behind paywall so summary:

1/ UK accepts all EU terms (FoM, ECJ, exit bill)

2/ UK crashes out of EU (permanent and extreme hit to economy)

3/ UK withdraws A50 letter (no longer rebate)

with that logic john no country on earth is habitable.

Holystove, the thread was discussing the ability (or otherwise) of the UK to negotiate trade deals in the 21st century. Mike for some odd reason decided to raise the issue of the UK's colonial past, going back some 200+ years.. My post (which I thought was good, not poor) was aimed at highlighting the total irrelevancy of this. I notice that you did not post that Mike's post was poor, even though it was totally irrelevant to the discussion. Still, Mike is pro EU and a 'Remainer'. And, before anyone gets the wrong impression, a top bloke - we just have different opinions.

Holystove, the thread was discussing the ability (or otherwise) of the UK to negotiate trade deals in the 21st century. Mike for some odd reason decided to raise the issue of the UK's colonial past, going back some 200+ years.. My post (which I thought was good, not poor) was aimed at highlighting the total irrelevancy of this. I notice that you did not post that Mike's post was poor, even though it was totally irrelevant to the discussion. Still, Mike is pro EU and a 'Remainer'. And, before anyone gets the wrong impression, a top bloke - we just have different opinions.

The only reason I referenced history John was because you did ("The UK has been a trading nation throughout its history") so I'm unsure how my reasoning was odd :huh:.

Anyone want to know about how the English wiped out our Cornish language or more recently bought up property so that entire villages are uninhabited during the winter months? What about Westminster trampling over the legal rights of our stannary parliament? Worse, Prince Charles owns much of our land and derives most of his income off the backs of Cornish farmers.

The only reason I referenced history John was because you did ("The UK has been a trading nation throughout its history") so I'm unsure how my reasoning was odd :huh:.

Mike, I thought it fairly obvious that the term 'throughout history' was a qualification of our negotiating expertise, not an invitation for 'open house' on our dirty washing.

I find it odd Leave supporting commentators such as Iain Martin, Tim Montgomerie, Andrew Lilico are saying the chances of Remain are increasing (either through a 2nd REF or a new GE) as the failure of the current government to make brexit work becomes more apparent.

IMO, there is 0 chance the UK will remain in the EU as it is a legal impossibility.

It is the view of the legal service of the EU Commission the article 50 notice is irrevocable (http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-2001_en.htm). I tend to agree.

Article 50 is part of the constitutional law of the EU. Therefor it is irrelevant if there is poliltical agreement amongst the EU27 and UK to allow the UK to remain; politicial will is not above treaty law (as interpreted by ECJ). To Remain would require a Treaty change.

If the UK withdraws its A50 notice, and the EU27 accept, it is, by treaty, the duty of the Commission to appeal to the ECJ to make sure this is not in breach of EU Constitutional Law.

Ironically, the ECJ could be the Brexiters' greatest friend.

(I thought it important to quash any hopes Remain people might have on this issue thumbs%20up%20smiley.gif).

There is no remain, there is only re-join.