duncanmckenzieismagic

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

Liverpool refused to sell Suarez when his release clause was met by Arsensl, if another club comes in and offers 7.8 (for example) they aren't obliged to sell to us.

Different scenario.

The Suarez thing was decided by the PFA to be a 'good faith' release clause rather than a automatic release clause. So Liverpool were not at all legally obliged to accept any offer.

Gueye's is a release clause. Once the stated fee is met, the club have to accept it. Di Matteo has said they can't stop him leaving. The Villa chairman has said they can't stop him leaving.

(I only know this because I was getting confused by the whole meaning so looked into it!)

http://www.danielgeey.com/buy-out-release-clauses-in-football-the-basics/

Idrissa Gana: Aston Villa cannot keep midfielder after release clause triggered - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36904124

"GOODBYE GUEYE? NOT YET...

We understand there are still a few details holding up Idrissa Gueye's move from Aston Villa to Everton.

It is thought Villa are holding out for more money, even though Everton have met the player’s £7.1m release clause, possibly due to interest from elsewhere.

The 26-year-old Senegal international will earn £45,000-a-week at Everton – but he’s not yet had a medical or travelled to Merseyside to complete formalities."

-SSN

It was reported he'd already had a medical, apparently not.

The price isn't bad considering the market and I trust Koeman and Walsh's judgement if he does come in but I just haven't seen much to rate the lad he's looked as equally poor as the rest of the shite at Villa

I really hope we bring in better quality etc as I've been fairly patient but I'm not getting fired up or feeling optimistic yet...

Guest rusty747

Looks like another slow start to a season is likely and we'll be hearing a lot of 'don't judge us until at least christmas' from the players.

I still think Koeman is the right man and that he will slowly get who he wants - but it is taking too long for me now.

I'm confused by the reactions. He's had his one and only medical at FF today. Hopefully announced tomorrow.

Has he had it though?

They said the same last week and I can't see it on SSN or the official site.

Alright. Well, why in the hell would they take this picture at the academy entrance? Is the main door getting some shiny new hinges?

Apparently it's 'spitting' and the badge by the academy is under cover. They could quite easily crop the image to remove the text and keep the badge.

Wouldn't read too much into it being the 'academy' badge.

I think this is going to be oneof those signings that people don't really get excited about until they see him play.

A defensive high pressing midfielder,...this is exactly what we need.

I have a good feeling about this one.

People judge signings by the fee. There's almost a snobby element to it.

I think this will be a good move.

We ain't gonna be chucking money around for the sake of it.

Yep. If we'd spunked £30m on him this place would be in meltdown.

What did Leicester pay for Mahrez again?

Underwhelmed if I'm totally honest from what I've seen but hope he proves me wrong and I trust Koeman and Walsh to have made the right choice

That aside now he's donning the shirt he has my backing a 100%

Welcome to Everton! I hope you're better than the last Gueye we signed!

If he's the type of player who we need in our side to play the football the manager wants to play, then he will be a good signing. Who cares about the fee or where he comes from? How much did we pay for that lad from Sligo Rovers? What ever happened to him?

Guest rusty747

if we can get Williams behind him to marshall the defence and one of those Portuguese lads in front of him in midfield plus Gerry and Kev in form on the wings then he will have plenty of chances to demonstrate his passing once he has either broken up play or received it short from the back five.

With the right additional signings he could be an important part of this season's jigsaw puzzle!