IGNORED

Mikel Arteta

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Purely Sunday paper talk. It will be interesting to see if Arteta can make the step up into management, wherever that may be, as he’s clearly highly regarded as a coach already.

Exactly. 

Let him prove himself elsewhere. We need a proven manager, not another gamble. 

If it came to a choice between Unsworth and Arteta I would go with Unsworth, both would be a gamble but I would feel more confident with Unsy.

But we don't want either of them we want a top manager who can take us to the next level, a few people are saying who would come to us now, well there are plenty out there that would come if the board are willing to pay top money, they have to sell the club with the promise of a new stadium, then a decent transfer budget to spend so we are able to mix it with the top teams. There's quite a few who would want the chance to take it on.

To a degree everyone is a gamble what you try to do is shorten the odds, someone like Arteta would be a long shot were as Fonseca's odds would be a lot shorter.

Moshiri is a businessman he will always take risks yes they would be calculated because he knows his industry, but now he has stepped into a different game which is not in his comfort zone still all of his instincts will remain the same to take a risk.

So god knows who we will see as our next manager but there's a fair chance it won't be who or what were expecting.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't get all the talk of 'not wanting another gamble'. The last gamble we took was Moyes. All three permanent managers we've had since then had managed in the Premiership previously. 

Big difference is Arteta is an assistant Moyes actually managed a side 

Took over a poor side fighting the drop to then get them promoted on a similar shoe string budget to ourselves so he ticked many similar boxes were as bar the sentiment of being an ex player Arteta doesn't 

19 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Big difference is Arteta is an assistant Moyes actually managed a side 

Took over a poor side fighting the drop to then get them promoted on a similar shoe string budget to ourselves so he ticked many similar boxes were as bar the sentiment of being an ex player Arteta doesn't 

I don't disagree with any of that. But my point is, none of our recent appointments have been real gambles, they've just been poor choices. I'd rather take a punt on someone young and hungry with fresh ideas than do something daft like throw a load of money at Wenger whose approach has been found out. 

Being a coach is totally different from being a manager. Harvey was a great coach but failed as a manager because he didn't have the skills for it. Management requires a lot of people skills, even more now than then. You have twenty millionaires many of them petulant and you have to keep them all reasonably happy and motivated or it doesn't really matter what you draw on your whiteboard. As a coach you don't have to worry about that sort of things.

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Like who?

Personally I want Fonseca but he has never managed in England and Arteta knows the league a lot more than him so Fonseca would also be a gamble

My preferred choice hasn’t changed from the beginning, though still incrediblly unlikely. Other than that, I’m in a position where I’d have to whittle down the candidiates rather than suggest one. 

Rumours that we’d take Wenger, and for a short period I’d be happy with that. Not made up, but best of what’s being touted and ticks all the boxes (won things, knows the league, demands respect in the sport)

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

To a degree everyone is a gamble what you try to do is shorten the odds, someone like Arteta would be a long shot were as Fonseca's odds would be a lot shorter.

Moshiri is a businessman he will always take risks yes they would be calculated because he knows his industry, but now he has stepped into a different game which is not in his comfort zone still all of his instincts will remain the same to take a risk.

So god knows who we will see as our next manager but there's a fair chance it won't be who or what were expecting.

His risk taking when it comes to non-construction related things (which he knows well) have been less than encouraging in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

My preferred choice hasn’t changed from the beginning, though still incrediblly unlikely. Other than that, I’m in a position where I’d have to whittle down the candidiates rather than suggest one. 

Rumours that we’d take Wenger, and for a short period I’d be happy with that. Not made up, but best of what’s being touted and ticks all the boxes (won things, knows the league, demands respect in the sport)

Was it Ancelotti you favoured Matt I can't remember 🤔 

I did and still like the idea of Fonseca he's probably imo the best of the rest on paper and we will struggle to attract a household name 

1 hour ago, EFC-Paul said:

Was it Ancelotti you favoured Matt I can't remember 🤔 

I did and still like the idea of Fonseca he's probably imo the best of the rest on paper and we will struggle to attract a household name 

Indeed it is, but like I said, I know how unlikely that is

apart from stats and media stories, I don’t know much about Fonseca so I’m unsure. 

18 hours ago, rubecula said:

but not so fine between hopeless and naïve Matt.

Gotta have hope mate. Life is pointless otherwise. 

I know my preferred choice is pretty much impossible, but I believe still in nothing but the best, and that also requires a ton of hope

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Gotta have hope mate. Life is pointless otherwise. 

I know my preferred choice is pretty much impossible, but I believe still in nothing but the best, and that also requires a ton of hope

so true  wish I was still young enough to hope.  I want to see a use for the trophy room again before I shuffle off my mortal coil/