IGNORED

January Plans

Romey 1878

8 hours ago, Btay said:

I think if Coleman hasn’t improved by jan we need to be looking at a first team RB. 

We should be doing that anyway.

I'm not his biggest fan but that's not the main reason I think this. We shouldn't be doing with him what we did with Baines, and leave it and leave it. We have to have a plan for succession. 

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Bad form doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough. 

He was good enough when he was bombing forward scoring goals. He was good enough when he acted as our sweeper. 

He is going through some bad form after recovering from a few injury’s that’s all. Give the guy a break. Look for long term replacements by all means, but don’t hang our loyal players out to dry.... that’s what is meant to separate Everton from the rest! 

Loyalty does mean a lot to us. Go back to players like Eto.... class player, but no loyalty to any team ever, and he has brought teams down wherever he went. Do we really want to be there again? 

Sone of us are sentimental yes, but because we love our team before we love winning. It’s great to win and have success.... but I’ve supported Everton through some of the worst times in the clubs history, and I’ll still support them as I draw my last breath....even if we never win a trophy ever again.

Is it bad form though? Yes he has suffered a major injury and I think that has took his toll on him. I don't think he can perform to the level we aspire to be at. The amount of silly mistakes he makes per game is concerning, yes it might be small ones but look at Saturday, he gave away the pen (which was the right decision). He often lets the ball roll under his feet, a few times now he cant play a simple 1-2 pass past a defender. His crossing isn'tt as good anymore and his defensive work I've always had a problem with, even before his injury, infact I called for him to be played as right winger before.

Stuff like that are signalling for me that he is done, which I hate. Please don't take it as me saying this as I don't like Coleman, I love the bastard, he loves us. He is Everton through and through, but no player is bigger than the club as we are led to believe and therefore for me, he needs to be replaced. With him being the biggest fan favourite (the cheer when the team is read out pre match is always the loudest for him) makes it harder but its time to phase him out like we have done with Baines.

As for the Eto'o argument, I disagree. Didn't bring Barca down, didn't bring Inter down, nor did he bring the Russian team (not going to attempt to type that out!), Chelsea, the Turkish team etc. In fact majority of them he made them better. He spotted the flawed aspects of Martinez and was bombed out because of that. Lukaku didn't have any loyalty to us, just ask Haf! Yet I bet you would loved to of kept him.

46 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We should be doing that anyway.

I'm not his biggest fan but that's not the main reason I think this. We shouldn't be doing with him what we did with Baines, and leave it and leave it. We have to have a plan for succession. 

This for me.  Thankfully We have Brands who I trust to bring in a quality replacement.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Personally I feel we hung Baines out to dry by not replacing him earlier...

We did, and I banged on about getting someone in to replace him for about three years before we actually did!

Sometimes we (the club, not necessarily the fans) show a bit too much loyalty/sentimentality towards the players. We did the same with Cahill and by the end I was pissed off seeing his name in the starting 11.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Personally I feel we hung Baines out to dry by not replacing him earlier...

I’d love nothing more than for Coleman to be our rb for the next 2/3 years. He’s 30, which is hard to believe. He’s lost that yard of pace that was his saving grace. 

without a doubt, I feel some of his performances was over looked because he is so well liked, the same thing is happening with Coleman now. Its a damn shame to see but look at how much better our left side is now with Digne playing.

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

Bad form doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough. 

He was good enough when he was bombing forward scoring goals. He was good enough when he acted as our sweeper. 

He is going through some bad form after recovering from a few injury’s that’s all. Give the guy a break. Look for long term replacements by all means, but don’t hang our loyal players out to dry.... that’s what is meant to separate Everton from the rest! 

Loyalty does mean a lot to us. Go back to players like Eto.... class player, but no loyalty to any team ever, and he has brought teams down wherever he went. Do we really want to be there again? 

Sone of us are sentimental yes, but because we love our team before we love winning. It’s great to win and have success.... but I’ve supported Everton through some of the worst times in the clubs history, and I’ll still support them as I draw my last breath....even if we never win a trophy ever again.

I agree, he surprised us all by coming back as well as he did but its going to take time from him to really be back at the level he was, if indeed he ever does. He wasnt without his fault but he was an elite fullback. The counter to that is how long do you leave it to find out whether he does find his form and then the next question is how long do you give Kenny a chance to prove himself at the top level. The decision will need to be made soon though as otherwise we will be left with a Baines/Garbutt situation as others have alluded to.

On 22/10/2018 at 14:26, markjazzbassist said:

there is no option to buy, if they were thinking of selling him there would be.  not to mention he is seen as the successor to iniesta/messi.  

Didnt we get Deulofeu on loan with no option to buy and then we later bought him. If so your argument is flawed. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Unless we get a few infuries I’m happy with the squad. Still want to get rid of stek, Niasse. In the summer hopefully we will sign Gomes get vlasic and Henry back and we can look seriously at a right back and a striker 

What benefit is it to the club to get rid of Stek and Niasse? Genuine question as I never understand when fans want players sold who haven’t done any harm to the club. 

23 hours ago, StevO said:

What benefit is it to the club to get rid of Stek and Niasse? Genuine question as I never understand when fans want players sold who haven’t done any harm to the club. 

Stek is very bad at goalkeeping. I’d far rather see Virginia in goal if something were to happen to Pickford. Don’t think we should get rid of Niasse, though.

Surely we want to improve the squad and increase the competition? I’m fine with Stek as number 2 and Virginia as the young potential. I’d definitely sell Niasse though because he isn’t good enough. It’s becoming clear who’s in Brands and Marco’s plans and who isn’t. Niasse, Schneiderlin and Tosun will be the next three to leave. We desperately need a striker who can hold the ball and score goals. Richarlison is a stop gap there I feel. There has to be pressure on Walcott now as well. Performances haven’t been up to scratch lately. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign a right sided winger next summer either to add a bit more quality.

I don’t see the rush to get rid of a second choice. What happens if we get rid of him and Virginia is worse and Pickford gets injured? I’d rather the seasoned but average pro than risk an untested kid. 

Stek has also been given a new contract under the current management so the idea that he’s only here because of Koeman is out of the window for me. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I don’t see the rush to get rid of a second choice. What happens if we get rid of him and Virginia is worse and Pickford gets injured? I’d rather the seasoned but average pro than risk an untested kid. 

Stek has also been given a new contract under the current management so the idea that he’s only here because of Koeman is out of the window for me. 

agree on all counts, stek gets a bad rap that is unwarranted.  niasse is worthwhile as well, if DCL goes down we need someone to spell richarlison or throw on in 442 situations, unless we are bringing in another striker i don't want him to leave. 

we have a ton of central midfielders, if we are trying to get rid that would be the place for me.  Besic and schneiderlin could go and it wouldn't bother me.

Players we need:

ST, RW, CM (hopefully Gomes)

Players to go:

Schniederlin & Niasse

I'd like to see Besic given another chance in preseason as he could be a useful squad player. I think Tosun still has a role here as a back up to a new marquee striker signing with DCL also providing depth.

Based on the current squad we need a winger/striker, a physical CM/DM and a new RB to move us up to the next level. When Zouma and Gomes go we will need them to be replaced too. 

The market for a top striker is very thin at the moment. You look at almost every club bar City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal and their fans will say the same thing. Most teams would bite their arm off for Tosun and I suspect a few teams will be after Niasse in January. I dont see us getting better than Richarlison up top any time soon, so therefore I would look for another physical winger like him.

As good as Gana has been at times this season I would still like a better decision maker who is also going to be able to dominate a midfield. 

Then finally we need to line up Coleman's successor. 

I wouldnt be in a rush to bring anyone in this January nor flog anyone unless the price is right. If McCarthy comes back purring and Benny keeps progressing then Schneiderlin would definitely be high on the list to leave. I could see Dowell going to get some game time but that is probably the lot.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Based on the current squad we need a winger/striker, a physical CM/DM and a new RB to move us up to the next level. When Zouma and Gomes go we will need them to be replaced too. 

The market for a top striker is very thin at the moment. You look at almost every club bar City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal and their fans will say the same thing. Most teams would bite their arm off for Tosun and I suspect a few teams will be after Niasse in January. I dont see us getting better than Richarlison up top any time soon, so therefore I would look for another physical winger like him.

As good as Gana has been at times this season I would still like a better decision maker who is also going to be able to dominate a midfield. 

Then finally we need to line up Coleman's successor. 

I wouldnt be in a rush to bring anyone in this January nor flog anyone unless the price is right. If McCarthy comes back purring and Benny keeps progressing then Schneiderlin would definitely be high on the list to leave. I could see Dowell going to get some game time but that is probably the lot.

Dunno about the CM area, but that's only because it comes down to 2 inconsistent players that we have their already; McCarthy (injury) and Schneiderlin (which one will turn up). If either could address their inconsistencies (less so McCarthy, he gets injured because he puts himself on the line constantly), we'd have no problem. I'd rather Beni got a chance than add another expensive midfielder to the books. 

I still don't get the shouts for Niasse to leave, and I agree there might well be a few suitors coming in for him this January, but I still wouldn't sell him. Same for Tosun. 

I'd like to see a quality RB come in in January and that's about it really. Unless there really is a top draw striker available, although, like you said, it'll be slim pickings and with the January tax, over priced. 

I think a bit of patience is needed this season regarding more transfers. I've happily had my concerns quashed by Brands' and Silva's work over the summer, I really thought it was a Walsh/Koeman 2.0 with the amount of change, but they've done a fantastic job. However, to rush out and bring in a bunch of new faces is a bit premature, so even if Moshiri's statement of no signings is true, I won't be disappointed. Next summer is the big window, the biggest in terms of upgrading rather than bulking out the squad, that we've had for years.

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Dunno about the CM area, but that's only because it comes down to 2 inconsistent players that we have their already; McCarthy (injury) and Schneiderlin (which one will turn up). If either could address their inconsistencies (less so McCarthy, he gets injured because he puts himself on the line constantly), we'd have no problem. I'd rather Beni got a chance than add another expensive midfielder to the books. 

I still don't get the shouts for Niasse to leave, and I agree there might well be a few suitors coming in for him this January, but I still wouldn't sell him. Same for Tosun. 

I'd like to see a quality RB come in in January and that's about it really. Unless there really is a top draw striker available, although, like you said, it'll be slim pickings and with the January tax, over priced. 

I think a bit of patience is needed this season regarding more transfers. I've happily had my concerns quashed by Brands' and Silva's work over the summer, I really thought it was a Walsh/Koeman 2.0 with the amount of change, but they've done a fantastic job. However, to rush out and bring in a bunch of new faces is a bit premature, so even if Moshiri's statement of no signings is true, I won't be disappointed. Next summer is the big window, the biggest in terms of upgrading rather than bulking out the squad, that we've had for years.

The way I see it is that Schneiderlin isnt quick and he isnt strong and nor is he that good at reading the game or good enough on the ball to be a realistic CL chasing midfielder. 

As much as I love McCarthy he has to prove he still has it and given how much football he has missed over the last 3 or so years I would be surprised. I hope he does though.

Benni is way too early to be pinning any hopes on. He looked more like another Gana than another Gomes whereas I think we should be looking for a hybrid of them two plus a bit of McCarthy for good measure. Thats not a knock on either player btw. Finding that player isnt easy but its worth looking! 😀