IGNORED

Leicester City (Home) Wednesday July 1st

markjazzbassist

Stating the obvious this game is critical for us. We're right there in the mix for 7th/8th. Palace and Burnley play today. SheffU and Spurs on Thursday. Teams right near with guaranteed points dropped. Hopefully both draws. We win this game and we're 2-3 points away from Europe. Maybe even in it even we can rely on City's ban and anyone but Arsenal winning the FA Cup. 

10 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Stating the obvious this game is critical for us. We're right there in the mix for 7th/8th. Palace and Burnley play today. SheffU and Spurs on Thursday. Teams right near with guaranteed points dropped. Hopefully both draws. We win this game and we're 2-3 points away from Europe. Maybe even in it even we can rely on City's ban and anyone but Arsenal winning the FA Cup. 

never say never but i think we are too far out.  sure the math is there, but we have leicester, spurs, wolves, sheffield still left.  i think we have the hardest run in.  all those teams are battling for europe and we're behind them all.  we'd have to really rack up some big wins, i think 9th/10th is more likely.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

no they don't matt, that's my point.  england is very unique in the fact it goes from 0 to 100 with hype at an alarming rate, then once something bad happens they throw them to the wolves.  their media is vicious.  in america they talk about pulisic, and he is a good player, but there is no illusion he's a worldie.  it's tempered.  in england the minute a youngster does well you get ex-england stars bigging them up "he could be one of the best" "looks like a young Gazza/Rooney/Lineker/Etc" and the like.  the media goes into overload pumping out stories.  they get called up to the national team.  they make an error, and then are treated as refuse and used goods.  they quickly move onto the next person and rinse repeat. 

See John Stones, Ross Barkley, and many many others.  the reason i always point it out is because the majority of english posters fall for it hook line and sinker every single time.  They can't see it's the hype machine, they think John Stones will be the greatest defender in england nay the world.  when he falls short they move onto the next one that the media is hyping.  and then everyone acts like it's normal.  it's not.

Mark it’s the media not anything else and it’s not unique to football. They’ll hype anything up Royal Family, Politics, Sport, Celebrities until the next big story comes along but that’s the same worldwide. In terms of football I don’t think we (British public) get carried away more than the next country. We are in a unique situation here that we don’t have a league full of English players as we are truly multicultural, more than any other league so understandably more interest is on our ‘home grown’ talents as we want the National side to succeed. 

49 minutes ago, barryj said:

Mark it’s the media not anything else and it’s not unique to football. They’ll hype anything up Royal Family, Politics, Sport, Celebrities until the next big story comes along but that’s the same worldwide. In terms of football I don’t think we (British public) get carried away more than the next country. We are in a unique situation here that we don’t have a league full of English players as we are truly multicultural, more than any other league so understandably more interest is on our ‘home grown’ talents as we want the National side to succeed. 

good post.  yes you have every right to get excited.  i'm just asking for tempered expectations and less rose colored glasses.  or maybe my country's football just sucks and i'm jealous 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Don’t know why a country being proud of emerging talent is such a big deal for you Mark, every club and country does it!

Except for Evertonians. Kenny, Holgate, Davies, and DCL would have been sold by the fans. Possibly include Pickford and Keane although they were already established (guilty of wanting rid of the latter myself). 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Your country does suck at 'soccer' 😜

Very true. We failed to even qualify for the last World Cup. We are a shambles at this moment.  Pulisic is our best player, other than that it’s some 22 year olds playing in the bundesliga or MLS veterans who have never amounted to anything.  It’s dire

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

love the lineup, yeah carlo doesn't like bernard.  nice to see mina on the bench!  COYB so excited for this one, glad to see gylfi in over davies, hopefully he tries to prove he belongs.

This is the lineup I would've gone for also (except I'd pick Bernard but trust Carlo). 

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i would too, but like i said in the bernard thread for some reason he doesn't rate him, and i hope the local lad gives it a go!  we are desperate for solid wingers

Agreed. The whole midfield needs cleaning-up, bar Gomes. 

Gordon getting a nod makes me really happy, now is the perfect time to be playing these youngsters in preparation for next season. He should do much better on the wing too, I think he looked a bit claustrophobic in the middle and couldn't really use his pace. 

Iwobi starting is good too as he was fantastic against Norwich, Sigurdsson in place of Davies gets a massive thumbs up - expect our midfield to be really deep with us attacking down the flanks as a four. 

Hopefully Keane can go touch-tight against Vardy, with Holgate giving him a yard - almost in a libero role. Mina coming back to the squad makes me happy, he's really underrated IMO.