IGNORED

Leicester City (Home) Wednesday July 1st

markjazzbassist

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Unfortunately not, went out on loan to Reading and was dropped after a string of poor performances. 

He was highly rated at Arsenal (their fans were going mad about him being let go) so I wouldn't write him off just yet, but it seems as though he's not at Premier League level currently. 

That’s a bummer. Now that you say it, I do remember hearing that.

Just now, Palfy said:

Great result tactics spot on. 7 points from 9 since lockdown, you can’t grumble with that it’s top 4 pedigree. 

They never really looked like scoring to me, unlucky Masons clearance hit ianachos head and went in. Gordon was excellent, Keane solid, DCL a pain in the arse for their defenders, and a good subs performance from Tom, solid defending and some creativity towards the end.

We still could see Europe at this rate if things go our way in other games.

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

They never really looked like scoring to me, unlucky Masons clearance hit ianachos head and went in. Gordon was excellent, Keane solid, DCL a pain in the arse for their defenders, and a good subs performance from Tom, solid defending and some creativity towards the end.

When we were in possession Gordon was excellent played a big part in the build up to both goals, not scared of the big stage. 
I did critique him for not doing enough when we never had the ball, but he’s a young lad and Carlo will coach him to bring more out of him in that department. 

37 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

You've got stronger nerves than me. I was nearly behind the sofa. Felt like it was more a case of us hanging on, Mina nearly gave me a heart attack playing the ball infield!

That result was all down to the gaffer. Both teams were very average for the first 20 or so minutes but we scored a good goal and kept them at bay. God knows what Ndidi was thinking for the second (dreadful penalty btw) but after that and especially when Richarlison went off, we were very poor. We had little moments but the quality we showed was non existent for most of the game. Our discipline and organisation for the most part was excellent and moving to a back 5 was a really shrewd move given how and where Leicester were attacking. As for Leicester, Maddison was completely dominant when he was playing through the middle and I'm very surprised he was moved by Rodgers and their right back was absolutely diabolical, comfortably the worst player on the pitch. How on earth he stayed on is beyond me. My nan would have crossed the ball better. 

Pickford - Very good and quick save first half, shocker of a second. Keane bailed him out big time. 

Digne had one of his best games for a long time. He picked out passes, he defended really well and his covering for Holgate being all over the place at 0-0 was a big moment for him and us.

Holgate was poor, really poor. Very naive, almost confused by some of the movement around him. Some could say he was unlucky for their goal but he should have won the first ball. He gave away too much space all game.

Keane was head and shoulders Motm. This was probably one of his best games for us. I don't think he missed a beat all game.

Coleman was quite quiet. He didn't do a lot wrong but didn't do anything over and above either. Solid.

Gomes and Siggy were mostly statuesque. Every now and then they would try to make a challenge so that you could tell they were on the pitch, otherwise it was when they gave the ball away, Gomes in particular.

Gordon did ok. He had a couple of moments, like the assist and a lay off in the second half where he showed that glimpse of quality. Otherwise it was another disciplined but forgettable game from him.

Iwobi probably wished he had a forgettable game. He would do something a little eye catching and then he would give it away under no pressure.

Richarlison was another have a very good game prior to going off injured. He was not only we very good when ever we did get forward but he also got back and got his foot in a number of times. Ndidi was no doubt relieved when he went off. He took his goal really well. 

DCL had a iffy game. First half I thought he was dreadful, wasting every touch he had. Once Richarlison went off and he had to go back to doing the dirty work he showed his physical and mental qualities. 

As for the subs I thought Davies was the eye catcher. When he started at DM he was wasteful and being given the run around (eg Perez) but when we went to a 5 at the back he had more freedom and he showed his dribbling skills to good effect. Bernard didn't go a great deal but Mina did well in the middle.

This match for me demonstrates why this is a squad game, having the ability to bring on Davies, Mina and Bernard changes games, especially when you have a manager like Carlo.

We were unlucky to concede the goal, when the pressure was on we didn't panic, stood firm and let them huff and puff.

Very impressive performance. As we get better with a proper midfield partner for Gomes we can start to play more possession football.

Even though they had a fair bit of the ball I felt really comfortable in the first half. We were really solid all over the park and for the most part stop them being a threat. Then we took our chances when they came our way. You couldn’t really have asked for more.

Second half couldn’t have been more different. The defence still mostly looked the part but Pickford must’ve popped a few pills At half time, Gomes looked like these games coming thick and fast have taken a lot out of him, Iwobi was even more frustrating than Walcott, I barely noticed Gordon and Gylfi at all. We dropped deeper and deeper and allowed them to do whatever they wanted with the ball.

Carlo changed things up and I must admit I was a bit worried when Mina came on, but it did seem to shore us up a bit and we held out for a vital three points.

Sooner or later were going to have to perform for 90 minutes. It’s something we’ve struggled with for a long time now. 

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even though they had a fair bit of the ball I felt really comfortable in the first half. We were really solid all over the park and for the most part stop them being a threat. Then we took our chances when they came our way. You couldn’t really have asked for more.

Second half couldn’t have been more different. The defence still mostly looked the part but Pickford must’ve popped a few pills At half time, Gomes looked like these games coming thick and fast have taken a lot out of him, Iwobi was even more frustrating than Walcott, I barely noticed Gordon and Gylfi at all. We dropped deeper and deeper and allowed them to do whatever they wanted with the ball.

Carlo changed things up and I must admit I was a bit worried when Mina came on, but it did seem to shore us up a bit and we held out for a vital three points.

Sooner or later were going to have to perform for 90 minutes. It’s something we’ve struggled with for a long time now. 

How nice is though to actually take our chances. We had 11 touches in their box but somehow came away with 2 goals.

I remember some of those Martinez games where it felt like we had chance after chance and couldn't hit a barn door and then the other team would go down the other end and have 1 shot and score. Its much better for the blood pressure doing it the Ancellotti way!

I get comfortable in the first half. They had lots of possession without doing much, but once we had the ball we moved it upfield fast and looked dangerous.

Second half we were getting murdered for 25 minutes. We were awful. Gomes left the pitch, Iwobi was positive, but again, refused to put a foot in... even if it is 70/30 in his favour! DCL was battling, but couldn’t do anything without any service. 
Thank god for drinks breaks haha! Don’t believe I’m saying this.

Carlo made changes and spoke to them during the break. 

That last twenty minutes was a different Everton. One I haven’t saw for years. 
DCL came alive and looked a proper number 9. 
Gomes remembered who he was and suddenly looked that Rolls again. 
Davies looked confident, and ran at them? Where did that come from? 
Our defence soaked everything up, and I don’t think they had a real chance after that did they?

If Carlo can do that with what we have at the moment, I’m excited to see what he can do when he has his own players. 
Now let’s see if we can really buck the trend and go out and grab points against Spurs and really make a statement!

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

If Carlo can do that with what we have at the moment, I’m excited to see what he can do when he has his own players. 
Now let’s see if we can really buck the trend and go out and grab points against Spurs and really make a statement!

The futures bright the futures Blue, this feels right with Carlo, with the others it always felt like a false dawn and we would be back to square one or worse, which is basically what happened. 

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The futures bright the futures Blue, this feels right with Carlo, with the others it always felt like a false dawn and we would be back to square one or worse, which is basically what happened. 

I agree, because we always went with the up and coming unproven manager.