IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home) Thursday July 16

markjazzbassist

gonna be a tough one for us.  they are fighting for their lives we are fighting for nothing other than holidays.  on paper they are not a good squad.  we should beat them.  after the drubbing we endured i don't know what to expect.  im guessing holgate and mina still injured.  time to see beni out there and give virginia a run out.

Virginia

Coleman Keane holgate Digne

Walcott Gomes Beni Gordon

DCL Richarlison

Pickford 

Coleman Holgate Braithwaite Baines

Walcott Davies Baningime Richarlison

Iwobi 

DCL 

Keane's too much of a liability to the long ball so if we're looking to have possession and push forward he needs to sit this one out.  

Baines to help Braithwaite through the game. Plus Richarlison likes to get forward on his own so less onus for the overlap which leaves us exposed. Richarlison over Gordon as he's better defensively. 

Iwobi. Give him a chance in his better position. Plus I'm yet to see Richarlison and DCL have a good game together since the restart. 

Depending on how the game is going it's easily adjusted to 442 if need be with Iwobi dropping to the wing and either Walcott (if we're winning and then switch to counter) or Richarlison (if we're chasing and playing long balls) going up top to help. 

Bench wise I'd put a third keeper before Sigurdssen. Yesterday he was an absolute disgrace. Use him and draw a line. Let the players know half arsed effort will not be tolerated. Try and instil a winners mentality. The players need reminding this is a job, well if anything more than a job, because since Moyes left the effort levels just haven't been there. I bet any money that Man United players under Ferguson weren't smiling as much in their training sessions as our players do. Put the work in, get the reward. 

I have no idea why you would bench our most in form defender for a kid who had a fairly tough time on his debut but I would agree with you about Iwobi. The gambler in me would give him a whirl in centre mid if we kept the front two as they are.

I would be amazed if we saw Beni and given Ancelotti's comments about Siggy I am pretty sure he will start again. Given our problems and the fact he hasn't been used thus far, I think both Stek and Virginia have more chance of playing at the same time against Villa  than Beni does.

40 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have no idea why you would bench our most in form defender for a kid who had a fairly tough time on his debut but I would agree with you about Iwobi. The gambler in me would give him a whirl in centre mid if we kept the front two as they are.

I would be amazed if we saw Beni and given Ancelotti's comments about Siggy I am pretty sure he will start again. Given our problems and the fact he hasn't been used thus far, I think both Stek and Virginia have more chance of playing at the same time against Villa  than Beni does.

This.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i thought holgate and mina were injured?

I know you haven't seen a lot of the games in the restart (luckily for you!) but somehow Keane has been our standout centre back. I would say there was a fairly sizeable gap too.

In respect of your second post above, I would bloody hope there is a big bounce back against Villa. If you don't respond to your manager and captains comments like that, there is no hope!

No way this is a big win. Villa will be fighting for their lives and their vigour will scare our weakem midfield which will likely crumble again. 

Pickford 

Coleman Keane Branthwait Digne

Walcott Beni Davies Richarlison 

DCL    Kean

Our squad just gets thinner. Expecting nothing from this game. 

With each team named by you lot with Davies getting a reprieve a little piece of me dies :lol:

He’s been as shit as anyone but for some reason he is still a viable option for some. 100+ appearances and you can count his good games on one hand... I’ve not wanted to say it but I’ve reached the point where I don’t just think he’s playing shit, I’ve realised he just is shit.

If he is even getting a place on the bench next season then we have failed in the transfer market again. Not good enough for us. Not good enough for this league. Just. Not. Good. Enough.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I know you haven't seen a lot of the games in the restart (luckily for you!) but somehow Keane has been our standout centre back. I would say there was a fairly sizeable gap too.

In respect of your second post above, I would bloody hope there is a big bounce back against Villa. If you don't respond to your manager and captains comments like that, there is no hope!

keane is in the lineup, i rate keane always have.  i backed him earlier this season when others wanted rid.  he was in my original post with branthwaite.  i thought mina and holgate were injured.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I do; he doesn’t like him. 

i've always rated keane and holgate and backed both when many wanted rid (at one point only pete and i backed holgate).  i thought he was injured!  and i thought mina was too, i missed the last match, i just read they were both carted off.  i will add him back now that i've been told he's fit (is he though?).  i don't rate him?  what are you getting at.  only player i genuinely don't like is pickford and iwobi.  i even like sidibe and most on here bash on him non stop.

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

keane is in the lineup, i rate keane always have.  i backed him earlier this season when others wanted rid.  look again he's in my post.

i've always rated keane and holgate and backed both when many wanted rid (at one point only pete and i backed holgate).  i thought he was injured!  and i thought mina was too, i missed the last match, i just read they were both carted off.  i will add him back now that i've been told he's fit (is he though?)

Not sure why you’re quoting me there

55 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Only Davies and Beni are fit for this game in CM arent they? Even Holgate is doubtful. There is a lack of choice!

Even if there was plenty of choice it’d be the same. That’s being proven in other threads and discussions. It’s hurting me :lol:.