IGNORED

What are we missing to become top four team?

davies

I no we had a quality summer buy getting some quality players in maybe apart from kone but he may come good and we only lost feli.

so am just thinking we are maybe 3 or 4 players light of being top 4 side so am just thinking what you guys are thinking.

personal I think we need 1 top class striker 18 to 25 goals a season.

creative deeplying midfielder and attacking one

another winger to replace peanuts eventually

centre back to replace distan

so what do you guys think

Pretty much every area of the squad could be improved, but the main hinderance has been striker. Look at the top teams in the EPL. Man U has Rooney and RVP and Welback and Chicharito. Chelsea has Torres, Demba Ba, and Eto'o. Tottenham have Soldado, Adebayor, and Defoe. Manchester City has Dzeko, Aguero, and Soldado.

That's the quality of striker serious CL teams have. And even if one guy gets hurt or loses confidence they have a couple other capable guys. We've pinned all our hopes on Jelavic. Anichebe and Vellios are bottom of the table or Championship caliber strikers, I'm sorry to say. Kone not much better. And I'm not just saying that because he's sucked so far. Even at Kone's best he is not near any of those goes. Lukaku on loan gets us close to that caliber but, again, it's a loan. I'm afraid that until we find ourselves a capable, long-term striker we're not going anywhere.

He scored more times last year than any Everton player, so he can't be that bad. Given more opportunities to start, he'll come good this season.

Im fed up of people using this as an example, if that's the bench mark fans want to use for all our future strikers, lets just not bother and learn to play without, he only scored a few more than Jelavic, it was hardly 20-30 a season.

Howard .....

"Pretty much every area of the squad could be improved, but the main hinderance has been striker. Look at the top teams in the EPL. Man U has Rooney and RVP and Welback and Chicharito. Chelsea has Torres, Demba Ba, and Eto'o. Tottenham have Soldado, Adebayor, and Defoe. Manchester City has Dzeko, Aguero, and Soldado."

Soldado playing for two teams :o i think you mean Negredo for City.

Edited by Bill

He scored more times last year than any Everton player, so he can't be that bad. Given more opportunities to start, he'll come good this season.

Don't see what this has to do with anything. Like I said, even when Kone is at his best he is not at the level of a Dzeko or Rooney or RVP or Giroud. And most of these teams have multiple of these caliber guys.

Im fed up of people using this as an example, if that's the bench mark fans want to use for all our future strikers, lets just not bother and learn to play without, he only scored a few more than Jelavic, it was hardly 20-30 a season.

OK - well he's far better in build-up play as well. I don't know why Jelavic and Mirallas are so poor right now, but we can't afford to play them while they're in such a slump. Honestly, I thought that maybe sticking with them for the Cardiff game may help to re-establish their confidence, but they were even worse. All the good build-up play was wasted on their poor control and lack of incisiveness.

Following on, I wonder whether it's possible to plot a graph to correlate last season's final league position with the amount of money spent on transfers as compared to other independent variables - such as passing accuracy, chances created, amount of possession, longevity of players on the team, and so on. It could be quite revealing, and it would either silence or justify those who claim that money is the be-all and end-all.

Edited by Cornish Steve

What we really need? A season of luck with few injuries, stop conceding silly goals and rub of the green with the refs. Then at least we have a real hope of aiming high with these three things........

If the ref would have rewarded us that penalty on Baines against Cardiff, we'd have have 5 points instead of 3, which would put us in 7th instead of 15th. Even though it's still early in the campaign, It just goes to show you what a couple of points can mean.

I think we need that player who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen, a bit like Gerrard I guess. He kept an average Liverpool side in the top 4 for a long time and he also helped them win trophies.

I also think that we need some confidence, maybe even arrogance.

Yes if some match officials were a little more impartial towards us or not show bias towards opposition sides often enough, we could benefit a lot more from it. Tired sometimes of seeing the club fucked over by questionable decisions and other sides getting the benefit of things. As someone mentioned, having an injury free season if possible and a limitation on the inactive roster could really go our way, and let's not forget we've got a more attack minded manager than before who won't bore the crowd to death with frustrating tactics and philosophies. Or at least that's what many people envisaged when he took over this summer. Certain times this season it's been said, we haven't really moved on much from before, but say again, it's still early days, and not going to berate Martinez at such a premature stage of his tenure.

Some would argue the one concern would be the lack of investment and we're trying frantically to keep in touch but without the money invested, some can only see we'll be good for a UEFA cup place from season to season. Got to say, never proud of the idea or the way forward - in that it appears you have to spend big in order to achieve, and we won league championships in the 1980s with simply having a great team at no real cost and a decent manager in Kendall. Today you got plastics like CFC and Manchester City having all that cash at their disposal and simply buying their way to success, whereas 15 or 20 years ago they were just mediocre sides, not up to much. Fuck money in soccer sometimes - it'll be the eventual death of the game - but if it means Everton Football Club need to compete again or challenge the top four once again on a permanent basis - not just one hit wonders in 2005 - then some would see the need for cash investment as imperative. Seems the only way to survive now in the big league some would argue, as unfortunate as it has now become.