IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

Not buying this game is an insult to the years you may have spent sticking tapes in a casette recorder with nail varnish marking the perfect volume setting and typing:- LOAD"", go downstairs watch tv for 5 mins, come back and find Load system error on your screen and you were so desperate to play Chase HQ to hear speech on your speccy 128k (thats if you are older than 35)

Thats what i'm gathering anyways... Kids these days do not understand how lucky they are that we were the suckers who paid £10.99 at WHSmiths or John Menzies to build up a gaming industry that is now prodcucing games better than the quality of the sort where we would travel to an arcade to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Golden Axe etc etc costing 30p a credit (5 for a pound) probably the equivalent of 75p a go nowadays...

In 1976 I rode my FS1E (that's actually not mine, it was N reg but I don't have a picture sadly)....

150922.jpg

....to buy a machine that did this (special offer price of £29.95 at Hamleys in London)....

article-2238754-1639145C000005DC-968_634

....was ground breaking!

Not buying this game is an insult to the years you may have spent sticking tapes in a casette recorder with nail varnish marking the perfect volume setting and typing:- LOAD"", go downstairs watch tv for 5 mins, come back and find Load system error on your screen and you were so desperate to play Chase HQ to hear speech on your speccy 128k (thats if you are older than 35)

Thats what i'm gathering anyways... Kids these days do not understand how lucky they are that we were the suckers who paid £10.99 at WHSmiths or John Menzies to build up a gaming industry that is now prodcucing games better than the quality of the sort where we would travel to an arcade to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Golden Axe etc etc costing 30p a credit (5 for a pound) probably the equivalent of 75p a go nowadays...

THIS!

Champ manager on my commodore took 36 minutes to load a new game. I remember we used to put it on then go and play a game of footy and it would be ready when id get home when it was dark. with it on my tiny black and white tv, then on the tiny colour tv after that.

I now play PS3 on a projector with 96" screen and surround sound, my parents tell me i forget where i came from.

I actually enjoyed getting promoted with Wycombe Wonderers just as much as killing a guy on Assassins Creed or COD.

i'm playin it right now B)

cunt.

One of the most enjoyable playability games ever was "tanks" on the Combat Atari 2600 cartridge, you could hide behind walls and bend missiles, pure skill. 2 player mode there wasnt many better games.

epic game!

I loved Jet Set Willy on the BBC, mostly because it was bizarre and pointless, but my favourites were James Pond: RoboCod and Rick Dangerous on the Amiga (500+, I was posh apparently). You can actually play Rick Dangerous for free online now : http://rickdangerousflash.free.fr/

Gorillas was also great fun :)

Matt - they are launching a James Pond kickstarter soon. http://www.facebook.com/jamespondgames

I've been playing GTA for about 4 hours and still haven't met

Trevor

It's good that we can pick on MikeO for being older. ;) My cousin was telling me his friends would stay off school on the day that a big game is released. I told him it happened when I went to school too, he said "Yeah, for Pac-man".

Is that the same week they invented fire and the wheel?

Binatone "entertainment" system in the above, circa 1979

Used to have one of those, but back in the day, it was the best home entertainment money could buy.

Block soccer was basically an early form of Arkanoid, and no actual reference to the game, just keep a block in motion across the screen. Kids today wouldn't even give it two seconds, but it sold a lot of copies at the time.

GTA V:

I continue to be blown away by this game. I've just spent the past 15 minutes driving directly out into sea on a Speedophile and it's like nothing I've ever seen before. The sea continues to act like it would in real-life rather than having an invisible barrier 100 yards into the journey. The waves slowly begin to rise as the sea gets more and more treacherous and it genuinely feels as if I'm setting out to sea.

The furthest you can go is;

Until half of your 'arrow' is off the map, at that time the jet-ski cuts out and you either drown or spend a good half hour swimming back.

I re-spawned, took a plane and flew it into Nutters-vile. I had planned to do a long haul flight but noticed an air-port in the middle of nowhere, turns out it was an

army base and rocket launchers were fired at me when I attempted to touch down.

As I write this my girlfriend is tripping on cannabis and shooting aliens trying to abduct her. I'd give this game a solid 10/10, it's blowing me away.

GTA V:

I continue to be blown away by this game. I've just spent the past 15 minutes driving directly out into sea on a Speedophile and it's like nothing I've ever seen before. The sea continues to act like it would in real-life rather than having an invisible barrier 100 yards into the journey. The waves slowly begin to rise as the sea gets more and more treacherous and it genuinely feels as if I'm setting out to sea.

The furthest you can go is;

Until half of your 'arrow' is off the map, at that time the jet-ski cuts out and you either drown or spend a good half hour swimming back.

I re-spawned, took a plane and flew it into Nutters-vile. I had planned to do a long haul flight but noticed an air-port in the middle of nowhere, turns out it was an

army base and rocket launchers were fired at me when I attempted to touch down.

As I write this my girlfriend is tripping on cannabis and shooting aliens trying to abduct her. I'd give this game a solid 10/10, it's blowing me away.

tripping on cannabis?!

Matt - they are launching a James Pond kickstarter soon. http://www.facebook.com/jamespondgames

I've been playing GTA for about 4 hours and still haven't met

Trevor

It's good that we can pick on MikeO for being older. ;) My cousin was telling me his friends would stay off school on the day that a big game is released. I told him it happened when I went to school too, he said "Yeah, for Pac-man".

i just got to that point now..not found the airport yet though!

Update, I'm about 15% complete and in all seriousness it is awesome. The plot stories are ace, the FBI rescue job with a helicopter, sniper rifle and winch with a woman about to shove an 18 inch torch where the sun don't shine....

If you have a ps3 or xbox, just get it. It was everything you fantasised about being able to do in a computer game when you were a kid.