IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I don't think it's fair to downplay Lukaku's finesse play. No, he's never going to be Wayne Rooney, but he has pretty good ability on the ball for a guy with his frame. He's not just some goon like Emile Heskey who can only bully the ball into the net. Obviously that's a big part of Lukaku's game and he's going to score a lot of goals that way. But he's also a guy who is capable of chesting a ball down at the top of the box and then rifling it into a corner. Or bring a ball down in midfield and then make a perfect through ball. We've seen him prove capable of those kinds of finesse plays already. The Drogba comparison is convenient because of the Chelsea connection and because they look similar but they really are the same kind of player.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting about Thorgan, he looks like a great player and has been on fire for Zulte so far, but I must agree with the above I don't see him making it into the first team picture anytime soon.

I kinda hope that he would at least get the chance to prove himself but knowing Chelsea Football Club I must consider the possibility of that never happening, if Thorgan was to leave though I think Everton would be a perfect place, simply because it's in England and perhaps it could lure some temptation away in the future when Barca or Real come calling for Eden, and I'm sure they will.

I think we are being lazy in our appraisal of drogba - he was another level completely to Lukaku - Lukaku may get there but he has an awful long way to go.

Drogba had immediate control, an incredible touch and was physically comparible to Lukaku. Drogba could take a mean free kick also.

The one bad thing about Drogba was his cheating. Lukaku has plenty of potential but comparing him to Drogba right now is like comparing Barkley to Zidane right now. (Barkley could be the same type of player as Zidane - Lukaku could be the same type of player as Drogba) Possible - just not yet.

Edited by Hafnia

Oh my god, what a game. I must say I've found myself watching a lot more Everton games this season compared to previous years. From a neutral (when I say neutral I mean phock the scousers up up the beast) point of view it was a fantastic game of football. When Lukaku scored the 3rd I must say I celebrated quite a bit, it's like watching a bit of Chelsea play in exile.

Disappointing for you that Sturridge got the 3rd, I was really rooting for an Everton win but there wasn't much Howard could to about the last goal. Starting to dislike Sturridge more and more I watch him play. Great to see Lukaku on fire though.

Again, great game of football.

I really think he has the potential to be one of the best in Europe. It's so easy to forget that he's really just a kid, he only turned 20 in May. But already has a premier league record of 24 in 53 (I'm looking at his wiki page in not a stat head) which would be a great return for a player in their prime, he's got about seven years before he hits his prime, and he's been a first team player since he was 16.

If there are any billionaires out there who want to buy Everton, do it before Chelsea sell him to some one with enough money.

He is the best striker we will never have.

Obviously the man is in great form but has anyone else noticed he doesn't actually win much in the air?! He always seems to jump too early. It was glaringly obvious in the first half against the shite and It just surprises me given his height.

This is not a complaint, I'm loving having him with us, just maybe something he could improve on.

Obviously the man is in great form but has anyone else noticed he doesn't actually win much in the air?! He always seems to jump too early. It was glaringly obvious in the first half against the shite and It just surprises me given his height.

This is not a complaint, I'm loving having him with us, just maybe something he could improve on.

didnt he score a bullet in the derby to take us 3-2 up? Not to mention all the defensive work he does! Also, most of the time the ball is played to his feet!

Not sure where this is coming from dude ;)

Is everyone totally convinced we won't sign him?

Don't we have some Felliani money lying about?

If Jelly and Baines went then surely we'd had enough?

Look at the difference he's made this year. I'm really scared of the thought of next season without Lukaku, Barry, Delu....

Lukaku would cost at least £20m on his own and Jelly and Baines would both need to be replaced after being sold.

I think we are being lazy in our appraisal of drogba - he was another level completely to Lukaku - Lukaku may get there but he has an awful long way to go.

Drogba had immediate control, an incredible touch and was physically comparible to Lukaku. Drogba could take a mean free kick also.

The one bad thing about Drogba was his cheating. Lukaku has plenty of potential but comparing him to Drogba right now is like comparing Barkley to Zidane right now. (Barkley could be the same type of player as Zidane - Lukaku could be the same type of player as Drogba) Possible - just not yet.

completely missed this. Think the comparisons are spot on, if you compare them at the same age. Drogba got better and better but he didnt arrive at Stamford Bridge as the player you're referring to - cheating aside (which he did less of the better he got, though it was never erradicated. Same applies to Barkley and Zidane. All that said, agree with the fact it's only potential at the moment. But, no reason either of them couldn't reach the same levels, hopefully be even better.

On the point of buying Lukaku, there's no way we can buy him. One exception would be if, by some miricle, we are competing for the title or at least get CL football next season. But even then, that will largely be down to how Rom performs which will add another 5-10m to his roughly 20m price tag.

I'm hoping we get him on loan another season, along with Deul, and i think thats realistic, especially if Chelsea buy Martinez and Messi comes back to fitness after the Jan window (meaning Barca buy a replacement). But at the same time, if they do set the world alight over the rest of the season, there will be richer teams, probably playing CL footy, who can offer them better opportunities.

Anyway, most important thing is to enjoy them both whilst we can. I for one am very grateful to Barca and Chelsea for entrusting us with their next best things, and love how it reflects on our new manager and playing style!

I don't think Lukaku's going on loan for another season, I'm quite sure that next summer it's either first-team football or a permanent transfer, I wouldn't blame Lukaku for wanting to leave if Jose said to him you have to wait another year. So I'm hoping he'll be a regular for us next season.

But I do enjoy that he's playing great football at Everton,

He's saying Lukaku should say why he isn't at Chelsea, but he won't do it because it would be unethical to reveal a private conversation? Am I the only one who thinks that's hypocritical?

It's a petty overreaction either way if it's about the interview I mentioned in post #608. He was asked whether he talks to Mourinho after the games he plays and he just quickly responded he didn't and that he was focusing entirely on performing for Everton.

completely missed this. Think the comparisons are spot on, if you compare them at the same age. Drogba got better and better but he didnt arrive at Stamford Bridge as the player you're referring to - cheating aside (which he did less of the better he got, though it was never erradicated. Same applies to Barkley and Zidane. All that said, agree with the fact it's only potential at the moment. But, no reason either of them couldn't reach the same levels, hopefully be even better.

On the point of buying Lukaku, there's no way we can buy him. One exception would be if, by some miricle, we are competing for the title or at least get CL football next season. But even then, that will largely be down to how Rom performs which will add another 5-10m to his roughly 20m price tag.

I'm hoping we get him on loan another season, along with Deul, and i think thats realistic, especially if Chelsea buy Martinez and Messi comes back to fitness after the Jan window (meaning Barca buy a replacement). But at the same time, if they do set the world alight over the rest of the season, there will be richer teams, probably playing CL footy, who can offer them better opportunities.

Anyway, most important thing is to enjoy them both whilst we can. I for one am very grateful to Barca and Chelsea for entrusting us with their next best things, and love how it reflects on our new manager and playing style!

You're two of my favourite posters here, and I agree with the general point you're both making (that these boys are raw and need time to develop and become truly top players). Matt is also correct that Drogba was a late bloomer. But there's something very perplexing going on here too.

First, there's the implication that Lukaku has a long way to go to be as good as Drogba, and this point is argued by comparing Barkley to Zidane. This is flawed logic because Lukaku is actually better than Drogba was at 20, and it's very realistic that he may go on to surpass Drogba's achievements in the game, and be considered a better player - not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. On the other hand, Barkley will never ever be fit to lace Zidane's boots: I don't mean that as a slight on Barkley, he's a very exciting young talent and has a chance of being a very top player, but we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here - he's considered the best player of his generation alongside Ronaldo and many people consider him a top ten player of all-time. Barkley won't ever be that good, or anywhere near it. He might become world-class but Zidane is all-time great class. Zidane belongs to a tier which none of Drogba, Lukaku or Barkley will ever get near. There's also the other issue that Lukaku is similar to a young Drogba and will probably develop his game to the point where he will closely emulate Drogba's style. Barkley on the other hand isn't really that reminiscent of Zidane aesthetically - he's far pacier, more nippy, more explosive you may argue. Zidane was graceful, cerebral, incredibly smart. I'm thinking hafnia just threw Zidane's name out to highlight how absurd he feels the Drogba-Lukaku comparisons are (as Zidane is the pinnacle for any midfielder of the last two decades), but he actually does the opposite because it's a very reasonable debate when compared to Barkley-Zidane - both in terms of quality and style. He just undermines his own point by saying something as extreme as that.

Please don't take the above as criticism of Everton players - it isn't intended as that. It's just that we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here.

I realise this post has been a bit pedantic, but when I saw hafnia say that and then Matt state that there's no reason that Barkley can't be as good as Zidane, or better, I couldn't believe my eyes. There's plenty of reasons, the main one being that Zidane is one of the greatest players of all time.

Edited by Nikica