IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

shit game from him. Shit game from all Belgians, except Alderweireld who was the only one who seemed to take it somehow seriously. De Bruyne too but Alderweireld, maybe the least of the 11, was THE motm for me there. The rest sucked bollocks.

Was a dead game though so not much incentive to perform.

Was a dead game though so not much incentive to perform.

maybe the 50.000 people who bought a ticket deserved a better performance... It wasn't our strongest team out there but still should have beaten a team like Wales

Thought Lukaku was the worst belgian on the field.. first touch horrible, passing awful, ..

Lukaku is great in open space with lots of time to think about his next move but when he plays for a team that mostly plays on the opponents half of the pitch, he's not that useful. I much prefer Benteke at this point.

They seem to be average at home and awesome away. How uncanny.

But to say Lukaku was the worst, naah. He was sloppy, but for long he was the only attacking threat, because we all know Chadli doesn't know how to play football and Mirallas didn't feel like making a difference and did something selfish every now and then.

Don't take anything away from the performance from Wales though. With the squad we had that was an incredible point. Thought Ramsey was excellent once again. He really is a class act!

I thought Wales wasn't even playing well tbh :P Ramsey was the only good one. Point is, Belgium did get loads and loads of chances, but just were too sloppy to score. They didn't seem to really care. Ramsey did score, but for the rest of the game him and Witsel were in balance.

quick question as much as i highly doubt they will but you have to stay posetive. if chelsea want to sell lukaku becuase they have loaned him to us will we get first choice to bid for himor does he just go from us back to chelsea then he is put on the market?

If I had to describe Lukaku in one sentence it'd be: "He's a guy with a plan and he won't settle for anything less". So he's going to try and be the best he can be within the timespan of his plan. He even has a target number of goals he wants to score for EFC.

My opinion? He's a perfect striker for EFC. If he wants to move on to the next step, he's going to need to work on his ball control. He already improved lot on his positioning when he doesn't have the ball and he's a hell of a hard worker, so who knows, maybe he can... But he's not refined, he's more of a wrecking ball kind of striker.

pretty sure Haf mentioned something similar in this thread (Im not going to go through and find it though!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/24577584

Hull manager Steve Bruce believes Jose Mourinho might have sent Romelu Lukaku to Everton in a bid to hurt Chelsea's title rivals.
Bruce is preparing his side to face Lukaku for the second time this season - the Belgium striker having been a substitute for the Blues in the first game of the season at Stamford Bridge.
"He's a hell of a loan signing on deadline day, someone like Lukaku," said Bruce. "I saw him playing for Belgium in midweek and he's going to be one hell of a player.
"Maybe the reason why he's gone there is Jose has thought 'maybe Everton can go and get a few points off the big boys with him in their team'. That would be pretty shrewd really and I think they can."

yeah great point, i wouldn't be surprised if that's what mou was doing. mind games are his specialty.

Yeah could make sense. Title candidates tend to not play too defensively, so when there's space in the back, that's when Romelu flourishes with his runs and physical kind of duelling. That's why he's better against good teams.

so... it is an issue the "Lukaku doing it for 90 minutes" - I agree with RM, I would sooner see Lukaku go flat out till he runs out of gas and hope that with each game that stage occurs later on each time. If we get 60 minutes of him being a beast, that should normally be enough, then it gives the opportunity to throw Kone or Mirallas up front.

Why have a set of strikers and tell one of them it's ok not to put a full shift in whilst dropping others?

I'd much rather Lukaku was under pressure not to be dropped.

Where have you read this? He's said he'd much rather have Lukaku put a full shift in while he's on the pitch before being subbed, rather than him not playing 100% in order to play for 90 minutes.

Where have you read this? He's said he'd much rather have Lukaku put a full shift in while he's on the pitch before being subbed, rather than him not playing 100% in order to play for 90 minutes.

This.

Martinez is saying he wants him to go full tilt for as long as he can, and hopefully the amount of time he can do that will increase every time.

Is it just me or is everyone's tactic recently to say we tried to get Lukaku. Steve Bruce said it and now Paul Lambert has said he wanted him last season. I understand every club would love a player like Lukaku but change the record now and again.,...

Trying to get him and actually doing it was a credit to martinez and the way in which he sold the move to him. Again the same could be said for capturing Gerry and McCarthy. Players seem to now base much of their decision making on how the team plans to accomodate them and how the tactics will suit them. Ozil to Arsenal is a perfect example.