IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

the flick on thing was true again yesterday..he even missed some when unchallenged...need to play it to his feet and let him use his strength

havin a quiet game and still scoring though is a sign of a quality striker

I noticed it too today.

But he scored three goals in two games where I think he's looked average.

IF, massive IF, we got fourth place, and qualified, would everyone be happy if we spent all the money to get Rom on a permenant deal?

Absolutely. Providing we can seal this second season loan for Delou then I believe Martinez has the right attitute to help everton exceed expoectiations in the CL.

If we lose him, we will struggle next season without a proven striker.

Lukaku as much as I love him isn't the only striker in the world. The way we are playing chances will keep coming whoever is up front. I'm sure Roberto has someone lined up

You're two of my favourite posters here, and I agree with the general point you're both making (that these boys are raw and need time to develop and become truly top players). Matt is also correct that Drogba was a late bloomer. But there's something very perplexing going on here too.

First, there's the implication that Lukaku has a long way to go to be as good as Drogba, and this point is argued by comparing Barkley to Zidane. This is flawed logic because Lukaku is actually better than Drogba was at 20, and it's very realistic that he may go on to surpass Drogba's achievements in the game, and be considered a better player - not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. On the other hand, Barkley will never ever be fit to lace Zidane's boots: I don't mean that as a slight on Barkley, he's a very exciting young talent and has a chance of being a very top player, but we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here - he's considered the best player of his generation alongside Ronaldo and many people consider him a top ten player of all-time. Barkley won't ever be that good, or anywhere near it. He might become world-class but Zidane is all-time great class. Zidane belongs to a tier which none of Drogba, Lukaku or Barkley will ever get near. There's also the other issue that Lukaku is similar to a young Drogba and will probably develop his game to the point where he will closely emulate Drogba's style. Barkley on the other hand isn't really that reminiscent of Zidane aesthetically - he's far pacier, more nippy, more explosive you may argue. Zidane was graceful, cerebral, incredibly smart. I'm thinking hafnia just threw Zidane's name out to highlight how absurd he feels the Drogba-Lukaku comparisons are (as Zidane is the pinnacle for any midfielder of the last two decades), but he actually does the opposite because it's a very reasonable debate when compared to Barkley-Zidane - both in terms of quality and style. He just undermines his own point by saying something as extreme as that.

Please don't take the above as criticism of Everton players - it isn't intended as that. It's just that we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here.

I realise this post has been a bit pedantic, but when I saw hafnia say that and then Matt state that there's no reason that Barkley can't be as good as Zidane, or better, I couldn't believe my eyes. There's plenty of reasons, the main one being that Zidane is one of the greatest players of all time.

I havent got a crystal ball, so I cant see into the future :P

Ok, maybe a little carried away but the lad is 19, impressing in his debut season in one of (arguably the) best leagues in the world, and has massive potential so who knows where he will end up. I didnt see Zidane as a 19yr old, I saw him with Madrid (with very vague memories of him at Juve) when he was nearly 30, so I cant compare.

Anyway, we can hope cant we? ;)

You're two of my favourite posters here, and I agree with the general point you're both making (that these boys are raw and need time to develop and become truly top players). Matt is also correct that Drogba was a late bloomer. But there's something very perplexing going on here too.

First, there's the implication that Lukaku has a long way to go to be as good as Drogba, and this point is argued by comparing Barkley to Zidane. This is flawed logic because Lukaku is actually better than Drogba was at 20, and it's very realistic that he may go on to surpass Drogba's achievements in the game, and be considered a better player - not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. On the other hand, Barkley will never ever be fit to lace Zidane's boots: I don't mean that as a slight on Barkley, he's a very exciting young talent and has a chance of being a very top player, but we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here - he's considered the best player of his generation alongside Ronaldo and many people consider him a top ten player of all-time. Barkley won't ever be that good, or anywhere near it. He might become world-class but Zidane is all-time great class. Zidane belongs to a tier which none of Drogba, Lukaku or Barkley will ever get near. There's also the other issue that Lukaku is similar to a young Drogba and will probably develop his game to the point where he will closely emulate Drogba's style. Barkley on the other hand isn't really that reminiscent of Zidane aesthetically - he's far pacier, more nippy, more explosive you may argue. Zidane was graceful, cerebral, incredibly smart. I'm thinking hafnia just threw Zidane's name out to highlight how absurd he feels the Drogba-Lukaku comparisons are (as Zidane is the pinnacle for any midfielder of the last two decades), but he actually does the opposite because it's a very reasonable debate when compared to Barkley-Zidane - both in terms of quality and style. He just undermines his own point by saying something as extreme as that.

Please don't take the above as criticism of Everton players - it isn't intended as that. It's just that we're talking about Zinedine Zidane here.

I realise this post has been a bit pedantic, but when I saw hafnia say that and then Matt state that there's no reason that Barkley can't be as good as Zidane, or better, I couldn't believe my eyes. There's plenty of reasons, the main one being that Zidane is one of the greatest players of all time.

My barkley/zidane comparison is that I don't think i've seen such a big lad with such balance and vision since Zizou.... will he reach zidance heights??? Unlikely - zizou won everything and scored crucial goals in major finals, Barkley is english so will therefore struggle playing alongside chalatans like Cleverley and having to contend with our press trying to destroy him.

Barkley does have the potential to be the best technical midfielder England have had since Scholes and that for me is an outstanding plaudit - given how highly zizou himself rated scholes. I guess the only way you can appraise my ambitious statement is to compare a 19 year old zidane to a 19 year old barkley.

But just to make it clear, Zidane is one of the best players ever.

Whatever happens we won't be signing him, look at Salgado at spurs £27 mill. Lukaku has two years left in his contract, when he goes back to Chelsea he can whittle his contract away and sign on a free/ tribunal or Chelsea will sell him to the highest bidder

Matt and hafnia - fair play guys. It is remiss of me to judge - after all, if you can't get carried away with a local teenage lad starting for the team, who can you get carried away with? :)

Back on topic - Lukaku does have to polish his game but he's scoring goals freely and has been for a while (all his career, actually). You'd imagine that once that raw ability is translated into more experience, technique and intelligence, he will be almost the complete striker. Fancy him to do well tonight, especially if up against Smalling. Although i'd imagine Vidic will be the main marker as he's a powerhouse himself.

I could see this coming off!

Watching Lukaku in recent weeks you can see that although he is a beast as a solo player, he isnt really up to a top four player as a team player.

His passing is awful, his decision making is poor and his control is... well he has none.

Is this the type of player that will fit into a Chelsea team? i dont think so. but i think with the way we play he fits!

Chelsea have the money to buy a ready made player to fit straight into thier team, where we dont have that luxury and need to spend time progressing players to the level we need them to be.

The last few games he has looked very poor, but you simply cannot take him of as you know how explosive he can be.