IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

bugger me thats a lot of money!

£5 million was the figure I heard as well, I believe he originally favoured going back to West Brom, (was happy there and had a big mate in Benteke at the Vile), but the money offer for his services from Everton put it beyond us, he is totally professional though and will be a pleasure for fans and team mates alike.

The thing about a guy like Lukaku is that he is similar to Fellaini. Even when he's having a shit game the simple fact that he exists creates problems for the opposition. He eats up a ton of space and you have to watch him at all times. That creates room for others. Even when he's not producing it will be an upgrade over the irrelevance of Kone/Jelavic so far this season.

Very true, Jelavic and Kone have been toothless in the main this season, so having him is an improvement.

We need a goal scorer, he showed last season at the Baggies that he can do that.

offcourse he's happy to be here, here he can play more often than at Chelsea

he just wasn't happy that he had to find out late in the evening that he was going on loan,

after he was promised by the board and mourinho to be in the squad this year.

he was the best striker off the squad in pre season

and didn't get any chance at chelsea

I'd take it with a pinch of salt the last I read was that He chose us over WBA.....

He'd have had a good say in where He wanted to go and from Chelsea's point of view WBA would have been the more logical option He's been there before and it helped improve their player and WBA always expressed their desire to sign him permanently.

I very much doubt any fee agreed by us would have been much more than what WBA offered.

I might have some news that's not too positive: according to the Belgian media, Lukaku isn't too happy with his loan deal at EFC :( (Dumbass, you better be happy, this is the best place you can be at)

Belgian media have been more accurate and better informed on the Lukaku matter, as well as the Fellaini matter on deadline day, so I trust this is probably true.

that he is very happy with his choice and never has said anything else.
He is very satisfied with his choice and to be able to play at a higher level than last year

that he is very happy with his choice and never has said anything else.
He is very satisfied with his choice and to be able to play at a higher level than last year

In the interview he questions where the rumour that he was unhappy came from as he claims he's very happy. He says it'll be good for his development to play at a higher level at a team where there's more pressure to perform well than at WBA and at a team with a manager that has a reputation for good football. He started to get calls from 8pm from a couple of clubs, he had a very positive phone call with Martinez that lasted for half an hour about what happens in training and what he expects from Lukaku and eventually he decided that Everton would be the best choice for his development. Then they talk a bit about the penalty he missed in the Super Cup and how he has been able to get over it.

Edited by Steve_E

I think he could be leaving Chelsea as well next summer, unless he actually does score 25 goals this season or something like that. After spending his first team in their reserves and now being shipped out to different clubs for two seasons, I think he'll be growing disenchanted with Chelsea. Neither Chelsea nor Mourinho are known for developing youngsters either, I think it's more likely that they'll spend 40m on another centre forward next summer rather than giving Lukaku his chance. If he does well for us, but not good enough to motivate Chelsea to make them their first choice striker (for example, he scores 15 goals this season), I think he'll be pushing for a move. Most of the top clubs in England already have their striker so if we could somehow muster the funds required (15-20m?) I think we'd have a decent chance, especially if he does well and is happy here.

Howard

Jags Distin

Coleman Baines

McCarthy Gibson

Miralles Gerald

Lukaku Jela

For the moment, at least, the days of Jelavic and Mirallas starting are over. They've been given ample opportunity in the first three games to show their stuff and have disappointed on each occasion. At this point, it will be between Deulofeu, Kone, and Lukaku.

For the moment, at least, the days of Jelavic and Mirallas starting are over. They've been given ample opportunity in the first three games to show their stuff and have disappointed on each occasion. At this point, it will be between Deulofeu, Kone, and Lukaku.

yh, cause Kone was so much better..

So you want to bench Mirallas? Possibly the most exciting player we have had in quite a few years?

Hey guys,

Chelsea fan here in peace. Looking forward to playing you guys after the international break.

Just wanted to clear a few things up regarding Lukaku. I've seen quite a few on here thinking that Lukaku is disillusioned with the loan and I can tell you that that is far away from the truth.

Today in an interview he sought to clear things up a bit. Lukaku is a very intelligent guy who knows this deal will help him improve as a player. Here's what he said:

Further from that, someone on a Chelsea forum who's very close to the Lukaku camp has also said that this is exactly what happened:

• He did get a phone call from his manager yesterday night to inform him what Chelsea were planning to do (problems with loaning out Ba -> Lukaku was plan B?)
  • He then called his parents (who weren't against this loan). Until this far his first choice was still WBA IF he had to go out on loan.

• He called Mourinho (who explained the case and said Everton would be the best choice to practice his running lines and movement. Furthermore Everton plays a lot more on ball possession than WBA + also the pressure on Rom's will also be a lot higher here. All in all good reasons to go out on loan IF you are told it will be difficult to get a lot of game time at Chelsea).

• He then called Martinez who told him he was eager to get Rom's on a loan deal. He also convinced Romelu that this deal could be the best option for him.

He was more than ready to compete with Torres, Ba & Eto'o for that first spot. He's very ambitious and eager to improve every aspect of his game. Mourinho gave him a lot of trust and it seemed to work out well. So yes, Romelu really thought he was going to play for us (Chelsea) this season and Mourinho would make him better every game but the fact that Eto'o came and it didn't worked out to loan out Ba changed all of this. Mourinho told him a loan would probably be a better option since he could play every single game... even as a starter. Something he cannot promise Romelu because of the competition.

Mourinho and Romelu are working on a very specific game plan for Lukaku. It's all part of a bigger plan to make Romelu a real top striker. They both agreed yesterday that with close coaching from Jose and assistants himself that it'd be better for Romelu to go out on loan. He could develop this plan at Everton a bit faster than with us.

Romelu has big ambitions to play for Chelsea and sees Everton as an ideal step towards that. He'll benefit from developing with you guys, and you'll benefit from having a great striker on your books for a season! Your team is looking very impressive this season, definitely top 6 material, maybe top 4? Martinez has really bought well, and you look stronger than without Fellaini. McCarthy is a great buy, better for Martinez's philosophy than Fellaini ever will be.

In my opinion this is your best starting XI at the moment:

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Barry McCarthy

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku

What a team that is. Obviously you can interchange with the likes of Deulofeu, Kone, Jelavic, Gibson etc. but that looks brilliant. Well done to your club for still continuing to create an even better team!

Again looking forward to playing you lot in a few weeks! I'll be popping in here now and then to see how he's progressing according to you guys. Cheers!

Great post. Cheers!

To be fair on Lukaku, if he was given a choice he would have picked WBA. I think we were willing to pay more on the transfer fee and that's why we got him. Lukaku wanted to go back to WBA as he scored 17 goals in 20 starts, that is some record. He is probably a little bit nervous about how it will turn out, will he score goals or will he be another Jelavic - good first season then rubbish the next..

I think that is spot on despite the later quote, I would not worry about it though, one thing you will love is his total professionalism and single mindedness, he just wants to get better, puts many older pros to shame. As I have said before, you will love him and always give him a good reception in years to come.

So you want to bench Mirallas? Possibly the most exciting player we have had in quite a few years?

Yes. Absolutely. He's been terrible in the first three games. IMO, Kone, while still not at full fitness, has been better. Maybe Mirallas will find his form in training, but we can't afford for him to continue in the first team right now.

Edited by Cornish Steve

I like that we hadn't actually tried for this but Mourinho thought of us!

We are the logical choice if you look at it from Chelsea's perspective probably. Outside of the top clubs, a lot of teams play a lot of long balls or have counter-attacking styles which is very much gonna play to Lukaku's strenghts. If he's ever gonna succeed for Chelsea, he's gonna need to improve in his first touch and in his play in tighter spaces. It's basically gonna be us and Swansea where that's really gonna be asked of him, perhaps Southampton too under Pocchettino. But those sides have bought their own 15m strikers.

Edited by Steve_E

We are the logical choice if you look at it from Chelsea's perspective probably. Outside of the top clubs, a lot of teams play a lot of long balls or have counter-attacking styles which is very much gonna play to Lukaku's strenghts. If he's ever gonna succeed for Chelsea, he's gonna need to improve in his first touch and in his play in tighter spaces. It's basically gonna be us and Swansea where that's really gonna be asked of him, perhaps Southampton too under Pocchettino. But those sides have bought their own 15m strikers.

So, basically, being paupers has been an advantage this time :P.

Yes. Absolutely. He's been terrible in the first three games. IMO, Kone, while still not at full fitness, has been better. Maybe Mirallas will find his form in training, but we can't afford for him to continue in the first team right now.

I dont agree with you but I understand where you are coming from.

I think Mirallas still is a threat to other teams even when he is hit and miss. He will occupy defenders minds regardless as they know what he can do. Leaves space for others to come forward. (Barkley, Pienaar)

Mirallas needed a few games last season to. He will soon get going.

Miralles will play himself into form - we know how good he is.

I still believe in Jela. I don't think that first season was a fluke. Natural, instinctive goals, I don't see how they can go away so easily.

• 2 weeks later...