IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Guest blueboy122

Remy wants to play in the Champions League.... Redknapp said he'd spoke to him and he's looking for a move to a CL club only.

Not sure whether he will get that to be honest. Arsenal have been rumoured but I would have thought that if they wanted him why didn't they get the deal done before the World Cup.

I would definitely take him, he's a real quality player who is affordable.

But I can see him going to a Turkish side following the money.

Haf I don't see how or why you would prefer a 1 in 3 striker over a 1 in 2 striker.

You moaned about Moyes making his strikers run the channels and track back rather than concentrate on putting the ball in the net. Lukakus whole game is just putting the ball in the back of the net. Wanting the player better involved in the rest of the game is Moyes mentality. You are confusing the hell out of me when it comes to Lukaku for this very reason! If Moyes had hi on loan running the channels you'd be screaming that he is there to put the ball in the back of the net. I agree with you on most things, but I don't understand this one mate.

Agree on Origi, lad looks quality. But will be a massive price now.

Edited by StevO

Haf I don't see how or why you would prefer a 1 in 3 striker over a 1 in 2 striker.

You moaned about Moyes making his strikers run the channels and track back rather than concentrate on putting the ball in the net. Lukakus whole game is just putting the ball in the back of the net. Wanting the player better involved in the rest of the game is Moyes mentality. You are confusing the hell out of me when it comes to Lukaku for this very reason! If Moyes had hi on loan running the channels you'd be screaming that he is there to put the ball in the back of the net. I agree with you on most things, but I don't understand this one mate.

Agree on Origi, lad looks quality. But will be a massive price now.

No I'm not talking about strikers running channels and tracking back, I'm talking about strikers being able to mix it up. Ultimately I want them doing damage in the box, but I expect them to be able to get involved in holding the ball up and linking play like shearer did, like Suarez does.

Lukaku is very one dimensional.

Going back to the touch and learning how to control the ball thing. Without doubt its easier to learn this as a youngster as pretty much everything is and any child that can master this skill at an early age will have an edge over another child who hasnt. However, the child that hasnt will still be able to improve. It will be slower and it will take longer and he probably will never get to the game level as the child that mastered the skill, but he will be able to improve to a high level.

Golfers manipulate their swing all of the time and they develop it as they get older. Some players are complete naturals and shoot crazy scores from a young age, have their swing on plane from day one and others have to work really hard to keep it up to scratch and use other aspects of their game to even the playing field. Lukaku will never be as good on the ball as some players, but he can improve with hard work and he can also use the other strengths he has to neutralise his 'average' touch.

No I'm not talking about strikers running channels and tracking back, I'm talking about strikers being able to mix it up. Ultimately I want them doing damage in the box, but I expect them to be able to get involved in holding the ball up and linking play like shearer did, like Suarez does.

He isnt one dimensional though is he. A one dimensional player doesnt score the goals he has and create the impact he had on our campaign last season. Straq was one dimensional.

what like providing assists (2nd in the team by 1, behind Mirallas. 2 more than Baines who was next), scoring headers, scoring after a driving run, scoring one touch?

The only way he is one dimensional is that hes a goal machine, by himself and assisting others.

Edited by Matt

He isnt one dimensional though is he. A one dimensional player doesnt score the goals he has and create the impact he had on our campaign last season. Straq was one dimensional.

He is very one dimensional in the sense that he is a "poacher" not a player. Yes he can score the odd dynamic goal when getting a run on his man, however barring that he is very much an 18 yard box operator.

I will use Giroud as an example, previously very much maligned - because he wasn't Thierry Henry, Ian Wright or RVP.... typical Arsenal elitest mentality. The lad is a far more complete striker than Lukaku, tremendous touch, great ability to hold up the ball and link up play and he scores goals. Nigh on a 1 in 2 striker - he cost Arsenal £9.6m at the age of 25. I expect him to bang in 20 goals next season. His assist record for a striker with a good rate is excellent 4 highest assists in prem last year.

But we are looking at spending £20m plus on a player who does not have the consistency of touch that Giroud has, the ability to take the ball when marked.

My point being in short is that Lukaku is being seen as such a depseration buy like a bloke viewing a half fit bird at ten to two on a saturday night. The reality is that the night is young, and there are plenty of fitter girls.

I give up. There are so many point incorrect in that post...

There isn't, its a simple fact that you see a different player to me. I really do not rate him as a footballer - as you may have guessed. He is a goalscorer yes, when things are on a plate for him its in the back of the net, when players stand off him he does damage. When this doesn't happen, he's as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Will he get better as a footballer? yes, but not not by much. You could say he's very similar to Gary Lineker in those respects, the direct ball over the top and falling in for him around the box is his way. For me that breed of player isn't what the modern game accomodates anymore. Need far more to their game.

There isn't, its a simple fact that you see a different player to me. I really do not rate him as a footballer - as you may have guessed. He is a goalscorer yes, when things are on a plate for him its in the back of the net, when players stand off him he does damage. When this doesn't happen, he's as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Will he get better as a footballer? yes, but not not by much. You could say he's very similar to Gary Lineker in those respects, the direct ball over the top and falling in for him around the box is his way. For me that breed of player isn't what the modern game accomodates anymore. Need far more to their game.

Fair enough, my apologies for being rude.

I just think you're exceptionally harsh. If he had a better close control, he would be a perfect striker. He can jump, he can use his strength (depending on the scenario), he can head the ball, he can run with the ball, he can setup goals up, he can do just about everything and at 21, thats incredible. Really incredible.

I cant accept your side of it because you are comparing him every time against players with 5 years more experience, all of whom didnt come to the Premiership until after they were 23. Its not a fair comparison. Find me another player at the same age who is playing now and makes the same impact and has proven it over more than a season. Its slim pickings...

The other thing I dont get - if hes a goalscorer, and goals win games, why not play to his strengths and give him as many opportunities to score as possible? the AMC is the guy to hold the ball up and link up play, the striker is there to put the ball in the net. I know the game is evolving, e.g. FBs expected to do the jobs of Wingers, DCM filling in at DC so I can see that. But as someone who was so against putting round pegs in square holes, why would you want a striker doing 2 jobs when hes exceptional at his main job?

Edited by Matt

Fair enough, my apologies for being rude.

I just think you're exceptionally harsh. If he had a better close control, he would be a perfect striker. He can jump, he can use his strength (depending on the scenario), he can head the ball, he can run with the ball, he can setup goals up, he can do just about everything and at 21, thats incredible. Really incredible.

I cant accept your side of it because you are comparing him every time against players with 5 years more experience, all of whom didnt come to the Premiership until after they were 23. Its not a fair comparison. Find me another player at the same age who is playing now and makes the same impact and has proven it over more than a season. Its slim pickings...

The other thing I dont get - if hes a goalscorer, and goals win games, why not play to his strengths and give him as many opportunities to score as possible? the AMC is the guy to hold the ball up and link up play, the striker is there to put the ball in the net. I know the game is evolving, e.g. FBs expected to do the jobs of Wingers, DCM filling in at DC so I can see that. But as someone who was so against putting round pegs in square holes, why would you want a striker doing 2 jobs when hes exceptional at his main job?

He doesn't use his strength at all for me. Example being is that he gets easlily nudged off balance, his feet stay rooted but his upper body gets knocked over his centre of balance way too often - meaning he has to regain balance. His size creates an illusion of strength - his dynamic strength is not very good, compare that to suarez, when he isn't looking for a foul his ability to resist sudden impacts and shoulder barges is exceptional.

The same goes for his leap, not good enough he doesn't win any where near as much in the air as he should. I'm being serious.

He doesn't use his strength at all for me. Example being is that he gets easlily nudged off balance, his feet stay rooted but his upper body gets knocked over his centre of balance way too often - meaning he has to regain balance. His size creates an illusion of strength - his dynamic strength is not very good, compare that to suarez, when he isn't looking for a foul his ability to resist sudden impacts and shoulder barges is exceptional.

The same goes for his leap, not good enough he doesn't win any where near as much in the air as he should. I'm being serious.

His goal against Hull shows how well he uses his strength. When hes trying to hold the ball up, I agree but again it seems youre being very harsh on the lad.

gotta agree with haf on the headers thing...naismith wins more in the air

goals or holding up play?

Anyway, Naismith is a freak when it comes to reading the ball in the air, like Cahill. Not the biggest but his timing and leap are exceptional.

I wouldn't mind Haf but the only other option you seem to give is Bony, who I think is currently on par with Lukaku. Lukaku has scored well in two consecutive seasons in the PL at 21 years of age. I don't care what he does off the ball he's there to score.

It's only with his back to goal where he is limited... He can work on that. He's proven in our system and he is the right person to spend the big money on there is absolutely no question of that.

What we need is competition for him. That's all it is an additional striker who can give him a run for his money. He didn't have that last season.

If we could get Batshuayi and Lukaku for £25m that would be absolutely fantastic business and a lethal strike force on paper. I'm not saying that will happen but that's the type of thing we need to do.

Bony looks lazy, I've said it time and time again his body language reminds me of Yakubu.

i wouldn't say he's particularly good to be honest..maybe i just notice it when he doesn't win them but seems to me he loses more than he wins..like he has lead boots sometimes...then when he puts his mind and body to it he scores like he did against the shite which was an awesome header

I wouldn't mind Haf but the only other option you seem to give is Bony, who I think is currently on par with Lukaku. Lukaku has scored well in two consecutive seasons in the PL at 21 years of age. I don't care what he does off the ball he's there to score.

It's only with his back to goal where he is limited... He can work on that. He's proven in our system and he is the right person to spend the big money on there is absolutely no question of that.

What we need is competition for him. That's all it is an additional striker who can give him a run for his money. He didn't have that last season.

If we could get Batshuayi and Lukaku for £25m that would be absolutely fantastic business and a lethal strike force on paper. I'm not saying that will happen but that's the type of thing we need to do.

Bony looks lazy, I've said it time and time again his body language reminds me of Yakubu.

I've given us options of Remy, Welbeck, Bony, Origi, Batshuayi, I repeat "options".

Bony looks lazy? Really? Not when I have seen him, he works his socks off, really gives defenders a tough time.

Lukaku actually miscontrolled a simple pass on the half way line against WBA and they equalised - it really is an important factor to have more than just a poachers instinct.

i wouldn't say he's particularly good to be honest..maybe i just notice it when he doesn't win them but seems to me he loses more than he wins..like he has lead boots sometimes...then when he puts his mind and body to it he scores like he did against the shite which was an awesome header

Agree with this, he actually does look like he's got lead in his boots. I'm not too sure where all these superb attributes are coming from, he's like a tank when he gets momentum - the thing is defenders have cottoned on to this.

He went on a run of scoring 1 goal in 11 games... the 1 in 2 ratio etc etc doersn't pick up on this. At the stage when he went through this drought we were 9 points off 4th place having been in there up till then. We drew 1-1 away to stoke with a last minute pen from Baines, he was awful in that game, he was awful against WBA when we drew.

Thing is in this drought he really did offer very little. In the crucial end to the season where we had 4th spot in our own hands he produced two of the worst centre forward displays of the season against Southampton away and Palace at home.

Its amazing how people forget such performances, sure he's not the only one to have the odd bad game but we are talking about blowing a ridiculopus amount of £££ on someone who for me is no where near where people think he is as a player.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with this, he actually does look like he's got lead in his boots. I'm not too sure where all these superb attributes are coming from, he's like a tank when he gets momentum - the thing is defenders have cottoned on to this.

He went on a run of scoring 1 goal in 11 games... the 1 in 2 ratio etc etc doersn't pick up on this. At the stage when he went through this drought we were 9 points off 4th place having been in there up till then. We drew 1-1 away to stoke with a last minute pen from Baines, he was awful in that game, he was awful against WBA when we drew.

Thing is in this drought he really did offer very little. In the crucial end to the season where we had 4th spot in our own hands he produced two of the worst centre forward displays of the season against Southampton away and Palace at home.

Its amazing how people forget such performances, sure he's not the only one to have the odd bad game but we are talking about blowing a ridiculopus amount of £££ on someone who for me is no where near where people think he is as a player.

Have to agree again Haf.

I can't help thinking that if we didn't have Lukaku last season and Kone started all the matches Lukaku did Kone would be there or there abouts with his goal tally obviously that his hindsight. But I don't believe that we have to spend big on a player with Lukaku's attributes.

I think there's better cheaper options than Lukaku. My opinion of course.

Have to agree again Haf.

I can't help thinking that if we didn't have Lukaku last season and Kone started all the matches Lukaku did Kone would be there or there abouts with his goal tally obviously that his hindsight. But I don't believe that we have to spend big on a player with Lukaku's attributes.

I think there's better cheaper options than Lukaku. My opinion of course.

Ah now you've said it... Kone!!! He missed an open goal and hit a post in less than 90 minutes play plus he played for Wigan... he cost £6m and we have no resale value...

I actually think he will be a good player for us.

Guest blueboy122

Ah now you've said it... Kone!!! He missed an open goal and hit a post in less than 90 minutes play plus he played for Wigan... he cost £6m and we have no resale value...

I actually think he will be a good player for us.

Agreed he is much more of a complete player compared to Lukaku.