IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Messi has no right foot, can't head a ball and doesn't hold the ball up that well either.

Now, where is the exit?

Messi doesn't hold the ball up well??? Holding the ball up is receiving it in an advance position and retaining it in order to bring others into play, Messi does not lose the ball - simple as that. He holds ther ball up brilliantly.

Messi has a right foot http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/leo-messi-getting-off-on-the-right-foot

But what he has shown is he has worked on it - with a left foot like his he can be forgiven for negrlecting his right but he has worked on it.

Dunno if you missed the header he scored against Man United but it was special to say the least.... its just that Barca play on the deck that you will rarely see how good he is for one so short.

Using Messi as an example is great way to show why Rom need to be better - he has a good 7-8 inches on messi yet messi can leap and compete in the air (Ossie is good in this regard too) - Rom is good with his left yet seems to rely on it, yet messie has prbably the best left foot ever seen and still works on his right.

We are identifying areas for him to work on - not labelling him.

He did OK. Felt sorry for him, we just didn't give him anything. We keep going wide and wide Mirallas and Geri, they never give up the ball.

His touch definitely seemed better today and actually won a few in the air, however, he should have won it at the end and being a game of margins, that could be crucial this season.

He did well on all his attributes that are usually poor and did poor in his attributes that are usually good.

Naismith helped out a little, Osman tried the odd bit but it meant Rom came back to the halfway line, which is infuriating.

He did OK. Felt sorry for him, we just didn't give him anything. We keep going wide and wide Mirallas and Geri, they never give up the ball.

His touch definitely seemed better today and actually won a few in the air, however, he should have won it at the end and being a game of margins, that could be crucial this season.

He did well on all his attributes that are usually poor and did poor in his attributes that are usually good.

Naismith helped out a little, Osman tried the odd bit but it meant Rom came back to the halfway line, which is infuriating.

Based on the commentary I observed he is offside far too often - this really does need sorting out as he is way and above the most offside player in the prem. Its not like he's slow so I really dont get why he has to get greedy on the yards.

Aside from that - he is credited with being a goalscorer, in the prem you often only get a few chances (he averages 3.5 shots a game which is fine) - he has got to convert better. We can't keep blaming service when he misses sitters. I do think he is a finishers but he has got to work on getting his longer range shots down.

Positive:- tremendous penalty, calm and clinically placed

Based on the commentary I observed he is offside far too often - this really does need sorting out as he is way and above the most offside player in the prem. Its not like he's slow so I really dont get why he has to get greedy on the yards.

Aside from that - he is credited with being a goalscorer, in the prem you often only get a few chances (he averages 3.5 shots a game which is fine) - he has got to convert better. We can't keep blaming service when he misses sitters. I do think he is a finishers but he has got to work on getting his longer range shots down.

Positive:- tremendous penalty, calm and clinically placed

Twice in the second half. One was no where near an offside. The other, he scored from and it was disallowed (i've added an image to show how tight it was).

So the off sides weren't an issue for me. Poor refereeing.

But I agree on his conversion of chances. Has to bury some of them. They're too good to waste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After his inept display against Watford, who out there is thinking 'we bought a lemon'? I've seen so little in his EPL performances that one wonders if Bobby must be thinking the same thing. He also realises that the club spunked up 26million or thereabouts 'so I have to play him'.

We wuz robbed!

After his inept display against Watford, who out there is thinking 'we bought a lemon'? I've seen so little in his EPL performances that one wonders if Bobby must be thinking the same thing. He also realises that the club spunked up 26million or thereabouts 'so I have to play him'.

We wuz robbed!

I thought that well before the Watford game.

I actually didn't want us to sign him after his loan. Yes he scored goals that season but his overall play is very flawed. When he doesn't score goals he offers us next to nothing and is unbelievably lazy.

I don't think it's the manager who is lumbered with persisting with him. Too many fans got far too excited by him and our need to sign a big striker that they have missed critiquing him properly. There's kinda this "love is Blind" thing going on. Like a parent who has a naughty child.... "Oh its not his fault he's tired, he's lowon blood sugar" when inn actual fact the need a good bollocking.

Edited by Hafnia

Agree with all of the above. I can't believe how quiet this thread has gone following the game. Maybe everybody's finally woken up and are now thinking like others have on here for a long, long time. The guy can't play at prem standard for shit. He was great last seaon in the Europa when he was essentially playing against championship and league 1 level teams. Fell over to be less than adequate against good opposition.

C'mon where are all the Rom lovers now?

I don't think he's as poor as you are saying - he has attributes that just need activating, he can finish and when he is up for it he can be formidable. He is like Fellaini was for us, looks unplayable one game and then has 3-4 where he is anonymous and doesnt seem to care.

I just think people over state his ability.