IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Lukaku needs to improve in many ways... Work rate off the ball... Close quarter control and strength... It worries me that Maurinho passed on him as I find his assessment of talent is what sets him apart from the rest...

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the lad go for the right price... I don't see him as a CL striker.

... I don't see him as a CL striker.

He's at the right club then isn't he !

We finished mid-table, because we played like a mid-table team.

This season just gone, Coleman didn't play like a CL fullback, nor did Baines, Jags, Barkley, etc,etc ! It seemed as though the tactitcs, formations, preperations, mind setts were all.......mid-table.

Coleman, Baines, Jags and a few others could, should and were at times on the radars of the big boys, last season they just didn't look the part........that doesn't mean they couldn't play there, just like Lukaku......for a 'better' team.

Last season Everton were below average.

Lukaku will leave us for big money and will play CL football, but between now and then I hope we get the best out of him.

This daft arguement rumbles on and will next season even if he scores 25 league goals, because it will all be down to the players round him, the manager, poor opponets etc, etc ! Lukaku to some will still be a figure of hate......probably goes back to a childhood incident.

To recap, Lukaku last season was average.......so were the rest of the team, why isn't there a thread on the rest of them (as long as this one), continually being picked to pieces........on which note I think Martinez got of very lightly.

He's at the right club then isn't he !

We finished mid-table, because we played like a mid-table team.

This season just gone, Coleman didn't play like a CL fullback, nor did Baines, Jags, Barkley, etc,etc ! It seemed as though the tactitcs, formations, preperations, mind setts were all.......mid-table.

Coleman, Baines, Jags and a few others could, should and were at times on the radars of the big boys, last season they just didn't look the part........that doesn't mean they couldn't play there, just like Lukaku......for a 'better' team.

Last season Everton were below average.

Lukaku will leave us for big money and will play CL football, but between now and then I hope we get the best out of him.

This daft arguement rumbles on and will next season even if he scores 25 league goals, because it will all be down to the players round him, the manager, poor opponets etc, etc ! Lukaku to some will still be a figure of hate......probably goes back to a childhood incident.

To recap, Lukaku last season was average.......so were the rest of the team, why isn't there a thread on the rest of them (as long as this one), continually being picked to pieces........on which note I think Martinez got of very lightly.

Spotters sincerely hope he proves me wrong but I doubt very very much it will happen. Writings on the wall Martinez didn't have a clue last season.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, they will be naming a mine detecting rat after Lukaku, good luck to the rodent.May he save many lives.

We must rememeber the rodent is still young, learning the art of detection, he may have off days, but we know he will do his best.

So in an open message..........get off his furry back, the rat will come good.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-show-van-persie-romelu-9629111

Great read.

NO Premier League strilker over the past four years has a better eye for goal than Romelu Lukaku.

And statistics published on social media underline the Belgian’s importance to the Everton cause.

A survey to discover which Premier League forwards had the best record in front of goal - discounting penalties - produced some predictable findings.

Even discounting penalty kicks, Sergio Aguero, Luis Suarez and Robin van Persie have been the top flight’s most prolific marksmen since 2011/12. But other findings showed just how impressive Everton’s young centre-forward has been since making his Premier League bow in 2011.

In that timescale Lukaku and Robin van Persie boast the best shot accuracy in the top flight - with 43.3% of all their efforts on target. Second is Sergio Aguero (42%), Harry Kame next on 41.9% and another Everton old boy, Yakubu, fourth on 40.9%. Lukaku also fares respectably on the number of shots he manages every 90 minutes.

Lukaku: Being dropped was my wake up call

Luis Suarez was the player who peppers opposition goals the most, with an average of five shots per match, with Aguero and Edin Dzeko just behind on 4.5. But at 3.5 shots per game Lukaku is still busier than Christian Bentke, Jermain Defoe, Yakubu, Loic Remy and Olivier Giroud.

Where Lukaku has work to do is in his shot conversion. While he manages a good proportion of his shots on target, only 12.3% are successful - better than Wilfried Bony and Demba Ba, but still towards the bottom end of the Non Penaly Goals per 90 minutes table.

Top of that table by some distance is Stoke’s Mame Biram Diouf (21.4%) who made a handful of appearances for Manchester United 2010 but has enjoyed the bulk of his success with Stoke City last season - and second is Yakubu with 21%.

Louis Saha: Lukaku must be aiming for 30 goals a season

Lukas Podolski comes next on 18.3% and Again Harry Kane fares well on 16.5%.

What the figures underline, however, is that Romelu Lukaku is crucial to Everton’s frontline cause. He is a focal point, a prime source of goals - and shots, and most important of all, consistent.

He is also, largely, leading Everton’s striking charge on his own – but that’s an another argument for another day ...

Edited by tenaciousj

What else can we take out of his stats to try and dilute his achievements only to find he still has an excellent record before people realise we have a great player at the club?

I think I know what argument(s) are coming but I lie in wait, anticipating their arrival, ready to pounce.

Edited by tenaciousj

He is getting shots away, hitting them on target but the keeper is saving alot of them - so chances are there.

I have often thought he is very much a "aim at middle of goal" striker - which is a debated topic. Some strikers like Robbie Fowler, Andy Cole, Kevin Phillips, Thierry Henry, Van Nistlerooy "see the corners" - basically taking the risk of missing the target altogether in favour of putting it in an unsavable spot.

I will be honest there is two schools to this, if you take the shot quick and the keeper hasn't had chance to set his feet then the aim at goal can work well - if a keeper has set his feet trhen you have to work the angles.

The best natural finisher the english game had seen Greaves - aimed for the inside of the net - passed it in.

Ironically Michael Owen who I thought worked the angles well in the game was a poor penalty taker, he never got tight enough to the post, he may not have missed the target many times but keeprs saved a fair few.

He is getting shots away, hitting them on target but the keeper is saving alot of them - so chances are there.

I have often thought he is very much a "aim at middle of goal" striker - which is a debated topic. Some strikers like Robbie Fowler, Andy Cole, Kevin Phillips, Thierry Henry, Van Nistlerooy "see the corners" - basically taking the risk of missing the target altogether in favour of putting it in an unsavable spot.

I will be honest there is two schools to this, if you take the shot quick and the keeper hasn't had chance to set his feet then the aim at goal can work well - if a keeper has set his feet trhen you have to work the angles.

The best natural finisher the english game had seen Greaves - aimed for the inside of the net - passed it in.

Ironically Michael Owen who I thought worked the angles well in the game was a poor penalty taker, he never got tight enough to the post, he may not have missed the target many times but keeprs saved a fair few.

OK, I never expected that response. But I understand (and agree with) what you're saying (separate issue to the stats for me though).

He is more of a 'pop' shot/poacher, than a true 'clinical' finisher. Relies on power and reactions, over calm head and placement.

But we should be playing to his strengths knowing that. I just really like him, he's more Big Dunc (minus the heading ability) than Yakubu.

I accept he has his flaws and he's not the 'complete' striker but by god he's probably one of the best strikers (especially for the modern game), we've had the privilege to call "ours".

Edited by tenaciousj

OK, I never expected that response. But I understand (and agree with) what you're saying (separate issue to the stats for me though).

He is more of a 'pop' shot/poacher, than a true 'clinical' finisher. Relies on power and reactions, over calm head and placement.

But we should be playing to his strengths knowing that. I just really like him, he's more Big Dunc (minus the heading ability) than Yakubu.

I accept he has his flaws and he's not the 'complete' striker but by god he's probably one of the best strikers (especially for the modern game), we've had the privilege to call "ours".

Its a bit of a daft story by the echo if i'm honest and i'm not sure if they are being deliberately patchy after their anti everton accusations.

Its a bit like Golf World saying - Jim Herman is a statistically better ball striker than Rory....

The reason is this - Jim Herman hits more greens in regulation than Rory McIlory. The reason he does this is he doesn't go for the pin, he takes the easy root to the putting surface and avoids risk - leaving himself with longer putts. Rory goes for the flag in order to get birdies.

So whilst Jim Herman appears to be a more accurate golfer than Rory, the reality is he is 260 odd in the world and Rory is world number 1.

Its a bit of a daft story by the echo if i'm honest and i'm not sure if they are being deliberately patchy after their anti everton accusations.

Its a bit like Golf World saying - Jim Herman is a statistically better ball striker than Rory....

The reason is this - Jim Herman hits more greens in regulation than Rory McIlory. The reason he does this is he doesn't go for the pin, he takes the easy root to the putting surface and avoids risk - leaving himself with longer putts. Rory goes for the flag in order to get birdies.

So whilst Jim Herman appears to be a more accurate golfer than Rory, the reality is he is 260 odd in the world and Rory is world number 1.

13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg

13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg

Is it really grasping at straws or is displaying an ability to cut through spin?

My conclusion based on those stats is that "he doesn't convert enough chances compared to other strikers".

If i'm wrong then lets go all out for boyhood evertonian Jon Walters - 67% shooting accuracy in 2014-2015 as at 23/03/2015 - finished with 8 goals.

Edited by Hafnia

His stats are decent. But he's far from an Aguero, Van Persie (in prime) player. His all round game is nowhere near the level of those he's being mentioned with. He's lazy 80% of the time. His touch and passing are bog standard - bordering awful. He can't win a header to save his life. Let's not forget he's here to score goals but please stop putting him in these lists with big players he's not even close YET

Is it really grasping at straws or is displaying an ability to cut through spin?

My conclusion based on those stats is that "he doesn't convert enough chances compared to other strikers".

If i'm wrong then lets go all out for boyhood evertonian Jon Walters - 67% shooting accuracy in 2014-2015 as at 23/03/2015 - finished with 8 goals.

We've provided you over the last two years with stats that BACK-UP Rom's ability and effectiveness to our team, yet you STILL can't accept he's better than you give him credit for.

You can't do it. Physically, your head would explode like a scene from Scanners should you say anything positive.

I've now just accepted that you're blinded by stats and facts, you have a propaganda against him for whatever reason and until he creates world peace and the cure for cancer, you'd still critisise him for not cutting his grass short enough.

His stats are decent. But he's far from an Aguero, Van Persie (in prime) player. His all round game is nowhere near the level of those he's being mentioned with. He's lazy 80% of the time. His touch and passing are bog standard - bordering awful. He can't win a header to save his life. Let's not forget he's here to score goals but please stop putting him in these lists with big players he's not even close YET

I'll happily take stats and facts over your opinion, any day of the week.

If his record suggest he's welcome among the elite, i'll accept it.

"Big players" always start from somewhere.

We've provided you over the last two years with stats that BACK-UP Rom's ability and effectiveness to our team, yet you STILL can't accept he's better than you give him credit for.

You can't do it. Physically, your head would explode like a scene from Scanners should you say anything positive.

I've now just accepted that you're blinded by stats and facts, you have a propaganda against him for whatever reason and until he creates world peace and the cure for cancer, you'd still critisise him for not cutting his grass short enough.

it makes me chuckle - we are a club that have had a history of great goal scoring strikers but Lukaku is being famed as an out an out goal scorer with his 15 goal a season benchmark, like he's Rodger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile.

Why is that? I will tell you... becuase recent memory has images of a James Beattie chugging along, AJ bouncing off centre halves, Saha pulling up injured and Yak having one promoising season before a pretty much career ending injury. Lets not forget Straq, Marcus Bent and Beckford in there....

So that makes his a world beater? No - not in my opinion. Far from it. When he fancies doing a bit he can actually look a decent player capable of actually putting defenders in an uncertain position - but "when he fancies it"...

One good game when he's had a bit of a wake up call - he then reverts to type, states his desire to play at a higher level and then stinks the place out.

He's in danger of being ruined by hype, much of which is down to lazy media and starry eyed fans who look at this impressive specimen who looks like a lion with all the courage and aggression of a sloath.

Funny isn't it - one of the players who suppposedly improved from Lukakus age was Luis Suarez - if he had 1/10th of his desire, agression, will to win then I could overlook his technical downfalls - but those downfalls aligned to his overinflated opinion of himself = a player that will be forever talked about in terms of potential.

As it stands, we have invested big bucks in him - he better prove me wrong, he really needs to do that. I for one will be made up to get vaulted on him.

You have to accept an argument from Haf with that link.

Simply it puts him at the low end of chance conversions. In a team like ours that is huge.

Those stats are saying that he needs to improve his finishing, but that is he is getting in the right positions.

I started further up the field, but got moved into the middle due to me being.. Too accurate...I always hit the centre of the goal.

Scored more from midfield that from a forward position.

What does bode well is that like it or not....he is still young and already he is getting the chances.

Once he learns that slice...goals will come.

it makes me chuckle - we are a club that have had a history of great goal scoring strikers but Lukaku is being famed as an out an out goal scorer with his 15 goal a season benchmark, like he's Rodger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile.

Why is that? I will tell you... becuase recent memory has images of a James Beattie chugging along, AJ bouncing off centre halves, Saha pulling up injured and Yak having one promoising season before a pretty much career ending injury. Lets not forget Straq, Marcus Bent and Beckford in there....

So that makes his a world beater? No - not in my opinion. Far from it. When he fancies doing a bit he can actually look a decent player capable of actually putting defenders in an uncertain position - but "when he fancies it"...

One good game when he's had a bit of a wake up call - he then reverts to type, states his desire to play at a higher level and then stinks the place out.

He's in danger of being ruined by hype, much of which is down to lazy media and starry eyed fans who look at this impressive specimen who looks like a lion with all the courage and aggression of a sloath.

Funny isn't it - one of the players who suppposedly improved from Lukakus age was Luis Suarez - if he had 1/10th of his desire, agression, will to win then I could overlook his technical downfalls - but those downfalls aligned to his overinflated opinion of himself = a player that will be forever talked about in terms of potential.

As it stands, we have invested big bucks in him - he better prove me wrong, he really needs to do that. I for one will be made up to get vaulted on him.

Who called him a world beater?

Well we'll just go back to the likes of Bent, Straq and Beckford then. There's absolutely no comparisons, he IS the best striker we've had in recent years. I have no doubts.

As I (and many many others) have pointed out. We know his flaws (for the millionth time). We know he's lazier than we'd like. We know his touch isn't great. We know he's shite in the air. But he makes up for it in other departments which you can't and wont give him credit for.

So that's why we get fed up arguing his case (and ironically) making you beleive we idolise him. We don't. He's far from the greatest striker out there but he's our striker. Our young, potentially brilliant and already better than anything we've had in the last 10 years, so accept it man.

Who called him a world beater?

Well we'll just go back to the likes of Bent, Straq and Beckford then. There's absolutely no comparisons, he IS the best striker we've had in recent years. I have no doubts.

As I (and many many others) have pointed out. We know his flaws (for the millionth time). We know he's lazier than we'd like. We know his touch isn't great. We know he's shite in the air. But he makes up for it in other departments which you can't and wont give him credit for.

So that's why we get fed up arguing his case (and ironically) making you beleive we idolise him. We don't. He's far from the greatest striker out there but he's our striker. Our young, potentially brilliant and already better than anything we've had in the last 10 years, so accept it man.

I won't accept it - I will not accept a player who talks himself up when he has glaring weaknesses:-

no right foot

lazy

poor in the air

poor control

loses the ball

poor back to goal

loses balance when physically challenged

We have paid well over the odds for him and he doesnt have the humility to keep his trap shut and lets his football do the talking. He scored 10 prem league goals last year (sorry europa but you don't pay the £50m+ in players wages), a return of just under 1 in 4 games.... soz man but i'm not having it.

I will promise this - when I see good things I will shout them out, that is a promise.