IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

But £24m for Soldado looks like a joke. £35m for Andy Carroll looks like a joke. £33m for Robinho looks like a joke. Even players with incredible records, may cost you millions (Torres - £50m, Schevchenko £30m) and even that's not a guarantee of how a player will perform at the new club. Those two were absolute dead certs to carry on their credentials. It just so happened not to. They were finished articles and flopped. We have an unfinished one, who's heavily critisised.

Until you pay it, how do you know if they're worth the money?

Suarez did well in Holland, not that brilliant, he became a MUCH better player at Liverpool. Without doubt. He was worth (£23m) that, back then. Alfonso Alves came from Holland, scored a goal a game....turned out he just liked pies too much.

Take a bow son.

Ps you are a mod aren't you :D

Pad, i'm just pointing out that players from abroad can be bought cheaper than at home, which is why i gave Suarez as an example.

Cant help you with your question because i know very little about "foreign" footy, and seeing as i'm not on the EFC scouting payroll i havent got a scooby doo. :dont know:

OK I will put in a question mark if it really makes you happy

What are Roms stats like this year since we actually started playing the ball forward ?

Apparently I'm not on the ale, and the stats are easy enough to find, albeit potentially coincidental ...

Up til the New Year: 7 goals - 6 in the league (5 of which we won, he equalized for a point at Hull for the 6th). Not including his assists.

After New Year: 13 goals, 4 in the league (4 of which we won, he equalized for a point at Hull for the 6th). Again, no including his assists.

Obviously ignoring his European and Cup goals, because they don't count apparently. Plus, stats are pointless aren't they?

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=56521&season_id=144

He's not been great this season, along with the rest of the squad (who seem impervious to criticism) but his goals - which is what he was brought in for - have been essential.

Talk about sacrifical lambs?! Fuck me, one experienced player contributes nothing and is defended to death, the other responsible for 35-40% of all goals scored (2 seasons in a row now), is flogged because we paid a lot of money (still not 28m....)

Sorry for being late to the party, was trying to recoup some sanity...

It's a ridiculous question and it leads me to this - we changed our style of play for the better? Clearly as we had 21 points after 20 games and we finished with 47 after 38.

Then why did Rom score only 2 goals from open play in that time Sorry to discount the penalties but they aren't indicative of the "chances we need to create for him"

The suggestion is that we played to Roms style after New year, yet he only scored 2 league goals from open play in that time. I personally do not think the second half of the season was any justification for his supposedly worse first half.

Edited by Hafnia

It's a ridiculous question and it leads me to this - we changed our style of play for the better? Clearly as we had 21 points after 20 games and we finished with 47 after 38.

Then why did Rom score only 2 goals from open play in that time Sorry to discount the penalties but they aren't indicative of the "chances we need to create for him"

The suggestion is that we played to Roms style after New year, yet he only scored 2 league goals from open play in that time. I personally do not think the second half of the season was any justification for his supposedly worse first half.

I don't think we did necessarily play to Roms strengths it was more a case of us actually getting the ball into the oppositions half rather than continuously fucking about with it in our own half

The tactic of minding the ball while we wait to get beat really wasn't going to get the best out of any forward never mind Rom

And actually in the 22 games he has played in this year, since we started going more direct, he has scored 13 and assisted 4

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Just for interest's sake, I thought I'd compare Lukaku's lifetime average for goals per game with some well-known strikers. His average is obviously less than players such as Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, and Ibrahimovic. However, he's on a par with Robben, Van Persie, Costa, and Toni. In fact, he's not that far behind Rooney and Tevez. While Rom can certainly improve, that's really not too shabby.

Stats, I know, but why not throw them around?

I don't think we did necessarily play to Roms strengths it was more a case of us actually getting the ball into the oppositions half rather than continuously fucking about with it in our own half

The tactic of minding the ball while we wait to get beat really wasn't going to get the best out of any forward never mind Rom

And actually in the 22 games he has played in this year, since we started going more direct, he has scored 13 and assisted 4

Remember Frankie Bunn?

Just for interest's sake, I thought I'd compare Lukaku's lifetime average for goals per game with some well-known strikers. His average is obviously less than players such as Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, and Ibrahimovic. However, he's on a par with Robben, Van Persie, Costa, and Toni. In fact, he's not that far behind Rooney and Tevez. While Rom can certainly improve, that's really not too shabby.

Stats, I know, but why not throw them around?

If you can put messi, tevez Rooney etc as 16 year olds playing in the Jupiter league then we can have a fair comparison.

Simply put. You stick messi, Rooney, Owen, shearer as 16 year olds playingup front for anderlecht and its like fishing with dynamite. Rooney at 16 playing for anderlecht would have got 50 goals in a season. I am not kidding.

If you can put messi, tevez Rooney etc as 16 year olds playing in the Jupiter league then we can have a fair comparison.

Simply put. You stick messi, Rooney, Owen, shearer as 16 year olds playingup front for anderlecht and its like fishing with dynamite. Rooney at 16 playing for anderlecht would have got 50 goals in a season. I am not kidding.

The site I referenced for stats includes only 3 goals total for Ajax, so they are clearly adjusted. That's fewer goals than van Persie scored for Feyenoord. In other words, Rom's record comes very largely from his time in the Premier League.

Anyone remember a time when this thread wasn't the worst fucking thing on TT?

There is the ignore thingybob. Unless we can all be in unanimous agreement how great this super loyal wonderkidadult is the next Dixie Dean and £28m makes the £60k we spent on Seamus look almost like we were ripped off...

The site I referenced for stats includes only 3 goals total for Ajax, so they are clearly adjusted. That's fewer goals than van Persie scored for Feyenoord. In other words, Rom's record comes very largely from his time in the Premier League.

He's averaged 14 goals a season in the prem.

Raw numbers for Romelu Lukaku, Arjen Robben, and Luca Toni. The three quoted numbers are games started, games as a sub, goals scored.

Lukaku

Everton 41(7)20

Everton (loan) 31(2)16

WBA (loan) 23(15)17

Chelsea 4(11)0

Anderlecht 8(2)3

Robben

Bayern Munich 128(35)94

Real Madrid 44(17)12

Chelsea 74(32)19

FC Groningen (loan) 27(1)6

PSV Eindhoven 59(7)20

FC Groningen 13(4)2

Toni

Verona 70(2)42

Fiorentina 15(12)8

Juventus 5(9)2

Genoa 16(0)3

Roma 6(3)1

Bayern Munich 12(1)3

Brescia 32(2)13

Counting all games equally (start or sub), their goals per game are Lukaku (0.39), Robben (0.35), and Toni (0.39). (Note: I was wrong on van Persie. His number is higher at 0.51.)

So, Rom can genuinely count himself in the same company as Robben and Toni, two of the greatest goalscorers of our time.

Any questions? :)

There is the ignore thingybob. Unless we can all be in unanimous agreement how great this super loyal wonderkidadult is the next Dixie Dean and £28m makes the £60k we spent on Seamus look almost like we were ripped off...

I think this is where you're getting mixed up. He is potentially world class, but at the moment he's got some development to do. He is still very, very good despite that need for development and for the 25m we signed up (not that the price tag is anything to do with him - how many fucking times?!) for (paid 10m so far) he's given nearly 40 goals. Oh, but his control needs improving so he's shit :doh:

Fact of the matter is, he is nowhere near as bad as you make out, he's not even average. Bought to get goals, goals he has gotten. He is not here to link up play, he is not here as a premade superstar. But, he will be if we play him right.

Guys the thing is......

It lies somewhere in the middle.

He's nowhere near as bad as made out at time.

He's nowhere near as good as made out at times.

He had a bad season last year but for some reason was awesome in Europe. That shows that if he can replicate that form in the premier, then we may have a 20+ goal striker for the first time in a very long time.

Interesting that he says he was working "very hard" - but needed to work harder. I would say he wasn't working hard at all at that time and he increased his work rate to an acceptable level which was what we witnessed against Man city, arguably his best game of the season for me.

Interesting that he says he was working "very hard" - but needed to work harder. I would say he wasn't working hard at all at that time and he increased his work rate to an acceptable level which was what we witnessed against Man city, arguably his best game of the season for me.

I seriously doubt that would come as a shock to anybody that has ever looked in any thread on this forum