IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I can't believe I'm still reading this shite.

Stats can prove anything! Apart from this lads ability to put the ball in the back of the net. Even though the only true constant in football is that particular stat, it doesn't count.

Haf that under 21 thing may not mean a lot to you, but I don't think you can compare "top flight" at premier league, Serie A, LA liga or bundesliga with the Welsh division can you? That's shit even for you. Their best teams play in the English leagues. I'm disappointed, I expected better.

I can't believe I'm still reading this shite.

Stats can prove anything! Apart from this lads ability to put the ball in the back of the net. Even though the only true constant in football is that particular stat, it doesn't count.

Haf that under 21 thing may not mean a lot to you, but I don't think you can compare "top flight" at premier league, Serie A, LA liga or bundesliga with the Welsh division can you? That's shit even for you. Their best teams play in the English leagues. I'm disappointed, I expected better.

33 of those goals were scored in the belgian Jupiter league, a sub standard league. Compared to the likes of aguero who scored his playing for inependiente in Argentina and athletico in la liga?

I was being pedantic highlighting what a load of shite that early bird picture is. Every time I see it I cringe. There really is no comparison between Rom and those other players.

As I've stated before, put a 16 year old Wayne Rooney up front for anderlecht and he would get 50+ goals.

Surely you're joking. You're not giving Anderlect -- or that league -- enough credit.

Or maybe Wayne Rooney waaay too much.

Information to support this is out there. Even anderlecht themselves blamed poor domestic league quality for the poor performances in Europe.

http://worldfootballweekly.com/2013/07/10/belgium-the-good-the-bad-the-pro-league/

I'm really not trying to antagonize here, but a 16 yr old Rooney would get the goals if he got the service.

Anyway, ignore the goals if you want (seeing as any goal in Europe doesn't count, at least for Rom). Look at the Premier league timeline - 134 games (including Europe), 53 goals. Thats pretty flippin good and the best part, he will only get better.

I'm ashamed to be so high!

Then stop smoking! :shaking fist:

Edited by Matt

I'm really not trying to antagonize here, but a 16 yr old Rooney would get the goals if he got the service.

Anyway, ignore the goals if you want (seeing as any goal in Europe doesn't count, at least for Rom). Look at the Premier league timeline - 134 games (including Europe), 53 goals. Thats pretty flippin good and the best part, he will only get better.

Then stop smoking! :shaking fist:

Point being a 16 year old Rooney playing in the Jupiter league would rip the goal scoring records up - service or no service, he would absolutely destroy teams single handedly.

The whole "early birds" table is flawed to say the least. Put simply, Rooney is the best player I have seen under the age of 21 and he did this playing in one the toughest leagues in the world. Yet this table indicates that Rom is somehow a better goalscorer.... I'm sorry but i'm just not having it.

Rom may become a good player, believe it or not I really hope he does! but the level of appreciation he gets is ridiculous.

Rom has played 112 premier league games and scored 42 goals - which is pretty decent:- 1 in 2.6 games.

Point being a 16 year old Rooney playing in the Jupiter league would rip the goal scoring records up - service or no service, he would absolutely destroy teams single handedly.

The whole "early birds" table is flawed to say the least. Put simply, Rooney is the best player I have seen under the age of 21 and he did this playing in one the toughest leagues in the world. Yet this table indicates that Rom is somehow a better goalscorer.... I'm sorry but i'm just not having it.

Rom may become a good player, believe it or not I really hope he does! but the level of appreciation he gets is ridiculous.

Rom has played 112 premier league games and scored 42 goals - which is pretty decent:- 1 in 2.6 games.

I know mate. I-m on some pretty niec painkillers today, so can't be bothered arguing

I just wish you would give him a tenth of the slack you afford to the likes of Alacraz, Kone, McGeady etc, who provide nothing to the team, to someone who is responsible for 40% of our goals over 2 seasons.

I know mate. I-m on some pretty niec painkillers today, so can't be bothered arguing

I just wish you would give him a tenth of the slack you afford to the likes of Alacraz, Kone, McGeady etc, who provide nothing to the team, to someone who is responsible for 40% of our goals over 2 seasons.

If you spend £10 on a pair of trousers from Asda and they split after wearing them a few times then its to be expected, if you spend £100 on a pair of trousers and they last only a few weeks longer after promising to be hard wearing you kinda feel annoyed. I know you dont like talking about his price, but that is the reality - not just that but he seems to be far too focussed on promoting himself too much and has ideas way above his station.

I would expect Rom to provide 40% or more of our goals as main striker, is scoring 40% of the teams goals a good thing? You would kinda expect the main lone striker to have 50-60% surely? I really don't know if 40% is a strong stat to be honest.

Hang on... You want him to score more whilst linking up play? Want him to part the Red Sea too?

And again, fuck the price tag! If you're expectations are purely based on on a price tag, its pointless debating with you and honestly I expect better. The price tag has no relation to the players ability!!! How many times?!

Shall I list the expensive flops again Matt?

Got your back pal.

Hang on... You want him to score more whilst linking up play? Want him to part the Red Sea too?

And again, fuck the price tag! If you're expectations are purely based on on a price tag, its pointless debating with you and honestly I expect better. The price tag has no relation to the players ability!!! How many times?!

so forwards aren't expected to link up play and score goals??? Blimey I need to remove the memories of Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Aguero, Dzecko, Henry as i'm pretty sure all those boys were/are able to give the midfielders the opportunity to pass it, move, receive the return and get on the end of the next ball.

It has everything to do with the price. Why doesn't it?! At any stage have you not laughed at Liverpool spending £35m on Carroll??? I'm pretty sure you have. Why would that be? Because they paid more money that they should have done. If they paid £7m for him then there wouldn't be any more talk of it.

Edited by Hafnia

so forwards aren't expected to link up play and score goals??? Blimey I need to remove the memories of Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Aguero, Dzecko, Henry as i'm pretty sure all those boys were/are able to give the midfielders the opportunity to pass it, move, receive the return and get on the end of the next ball.

It has everything to do with the price. Why doesn't it?! At any stage have you not laughed at Liverpool spending £35m on Carroll??? I'm pretty sure you have. Why would that be? Because they paid more money that they should have done. If they paid £7m for him then there wouldn't be any more talk of it.

Partly. but that is more the role of the supporting striker / AMC, i,e. a Barkley (again, someone who escapes the same level of criticism despite providing nothing this season). If a striker is not available to receive the ball and shoot because he's busy linking up play, how do you expect him to make 60% of the goals?! Maybe we need a clone... Plus, the team is not 1 player and the responsibility to create chances should be more on the wingers, midfield and in our case wingbacks. Either way, we need someone in and around the box to put the ball in the net.

Youre missing the point. The money has no reflection on the players ability! Absolutely none, you don't suddenly gain abilities because your transfer fee is big. Its not magic. If you have a problem wiht the price tag (and if you get the price tag right), point the blame at the negotiators. It is a transaction, of which the player has no influence on. None, nada, nichts. Yes, I laughed at the Carol deal because he is shite and paid far too much. But I don't hold the player responsible for the figure, because it has nothing to do with his abilities or anything else for that matter! You expect more from a player because of a transaction?

Edited by Matt

Partly. but that is more the role of the supporting striker / AMC, i,e. a Barkley (again, someone who escapes the same level of criticism despite providing nothing this season). If a striker is not available to receive the ball and shoot because he's busy linking up play, how do you expect him to make 60% of the goals?! Maybe we need a clone... Plus, the team is not 1 player and the responsibility to create chances should be more on the wingers, midfield and in our case wingbacks. Either way, we need someone in and around the box to put the ball in the net.

Youre missing the point. The money has no reflection on the players ability! Absolutely none, you don't suddenly gain abilities because your transfer fee is big. Its not magic. If you have a problem wiht the price tag (and if you get the price tag right), point the blame at the negotiators. It is a transaction, of which the player has no influence on. None, nada, nichts. Yes, I laughed at the Carol deal because he is shite and paid far too much. But I don't hold the player responsible for the figure, because it has nothing to do with his abilities or anything else for that matter! You expect more from a player because of a transaction?

For the record I don't hold Rom responsible for the £28m - that was RM's fault. I hold himspresponsible for talking himself up for being a complete striker etc etc when in reality he pretty much a penalty box operator.

Again you miss my point linking up play does not mean you stay where you were - you drop deep, you take the ball, you look after it and move it on, in the meantime the lines have been allowed to progress, the defenders push up, the midelfielders press onto the defenders and the next phase of attack happens whereby any striker worth his salt will be in the box.

That is being a striker plain and simple. If we wanted a Mickey Quinn or a Kevin Phillips type then we could have saved £20m and got a player who was only fit for standing around waiting for the ball to find him who scored goals. In essence you are reducing Roms job description in order to alleviate any criticism of the things other strikers do well that he can't. Well for me that means we have wasted money.

Can we ban Haf from one thread? Please. Just one mods, he can have full access to ever single other one. I don't want to take away his contribution from the rest of the forum, not at all. Just this one. Please. Please. Please. Please.

He's in the right thread this time at least!

Can we ban Haf from one thread? Please. Just one mods, he can have full access to ever single other one. I don't want to take away his contribution from the rest of the forum, not at all. Just this one. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Been to North Korea on your hols or something? May as well call this Grand Old Team.

For the record I don't hold Rom responsible for the £28m - that was RM's fault. I hold himspresponsible for talking himself up for being a complete striker etc etc when in reality he pretty much a penalty box operator.

Again you miss my point linking up play does not mean you stay where you were - you drop deep, you take the ball, you look after it and move it on, in the meantime the lines have been allowed to progress, the defenders push up, the midelfielders press onto the defenders and the next phase of attack happens whereby any striker worth his salt will be in the box.

That is being a striker plain and simple. If we wanted a Mickey Quinn or a Kevin Phillips type then we could have saved £20m and got a player who was only fit for standing around waiting for the ball to find him who scored goals. In essence you are reducing Roms job description in order to alleviate any criticism of the things other strikers do well that he can't. Well for me that means we have wasted money.

So then stop mentioning the price tag, please!

And you have a problem with him wanting to be the best?! :doh:

I don't ignore his weaknesses, but he will improve on them so I don't dwell (or obsess) on them. In the meantime, I believe in playing to his strengths, his main one being that he puts the ball in the net - that is being a striker, pure and simple.

Anyone ever wondered if Martinez spent that much money on him to save face after THAT video where he shouted "of course we'll get him"

Not beyond the realms of possibility that he may of baulked at that price if he hadn't said that. He would have looked a right twat if we hadn't especially if we hada season like we did.

Anyone ever wondered if Martinez spent that much money on him to save face after THAT video where he shouted "of course we'll get him"

Not beyond the realms of possibility that he may of baulked at that price if he hadn't said that. He would have looked a right twat if we hadn't especially if we hada season like we did.

i'd hope he's not gambling the clubs transfer kitty on players due to pride and stubbornness.

I wonder about the % of goals scored for the team. How did you get this number as bad or good?

I mean, Tottenham Hotspur this season -total goals 57, per transfermarkt.com :

Harry Kane -allegedly wonderkid valued £30+-: 21 goals / 34 games (36,8% of goals of the team). Christian Eriksen: 10 goals in 38 (17.5%). Nacer Chadli: 11 in 36 (19.3%). Soldado & Adebayor combined: 3 (5,3%). Lamela 2, Townsend 2, Danny Rose 3, Dier 2...

No one is saying that Kane had a bad season, just the opposite...the only criticism that everyone can see is to wait if he can keep his excellent level.

For the record, Lukaku this year scored 10 in 36, top scorer in the League with 20.4%. Although I see it low, I also saw the poor football offered and the general poor level of the team. I'd be very happy if he can chip 15-18 PL goals next year, adding some assists.