IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Most people thought the world was flat Steve, what's your point? I would actually argue that missing word is denial.

He is the most defended player I've known.

I've been here before, I called Michael Owen for what he was and was ridiculed. I said without pace he is average at best. Of course that was flamed, till people actually rewalised it was true.

You're starting to come across as a bloke who thinks because he sunk a few pens infront of the kop has golden eye for spotting striking talent.

He had a tough season in the EPL and got found out for his weaknesses - we as a team didnt help him and play to his strengths but he is guilty of under performing and has warranted criticism. Prem is the toughest league, and it will be interesting to see how Kanes second season goes.

But Lukaku also won golden boot in a European tournament, we have been screaming for a goal scorer for years, we get one and now people constantly try and tear him apat. Does my head in no end.

You're starting to come across as a bloke who thinks because he sunk a few pens infront of the kop has golden eye for spotting striking talent.

He had a tough season in the EPL and got found out for his weaknesses - we as a team didnt help him and play to his strengths but he is guilty of under performing and has warranted criticism. Prem is the toughest league, and it will be interesting to see how Kanes second season goes.

But Lukaku also won golden boot in a European tournament, we have been screaming for a goal scorer for years, we get one and now people constantly try and tear him apat. Does my head in no end.

Of course it's all because I scored a few pens at the kop end....

Actually it isn't , that comment whilst factually correct has no bearing whatsoever on what I think of lukaku. Talking shit there btay.

I judge strikers, the way I judge footballers. Never more has there been a need to be two footed, instant control, and able to look after the ball. Teams set up to counter attack, the wait for players to lose the ball. Trust me that lad loses the ball more than any player I've seen play up front for us. Defenders get right to him as they know his control is shite, they show him to his right foot.

You say weaknesses? Pretty glaring IMO

Edited by Hafnia

Of course it's all because I scored a few pens at the kop end....

Actually it isn't , that comment whilst factually correct has no bearing whatsoever on what I think of lukaku. Talking shit there btay.

I can just imagine David Brent saying this - brilliant! ?

Rooney left 11 years ago so I didn't really have him in mind

Saha was never fit enough but certainly had the talent , and the touch

The Yak had a great first season but was woeful after that. In fact it's probably the only time I've ever been happy to see an Everton player pick up a long term injury , he was that shite

Ok Haf, if Rom gets 20 league goals next season, will you drop this argument with everyone else on the board and admit to being wrong about him?

Win win situation. If he's as bad as you think then you'll never have to admit being wrong. If he scores 20 league goals then we have a great striker on our hands.

Ok Haf, if Rom gets 20 league goals next season, will you drop this argument with everyone else on the board and admit to being wrong about him?

Win win situation. If he's as bad as you think then you'll never have to admit being wrong. If he scores 20 league goals then we have a great striker on our hands.

Would it count if 8 of them were on the road to winning the FA Cup? That would be only 12 league goals.

If I thought he could get 20 league goals then I wouldn't have any complaints. He won't, but ok yeah.

Watch him "only" get 19 now.

Well the most league goals scored in recent years is 15 (prior in 1996 when Kanchelskis scored 16). As i've said before its kinda embarrassing. On average 8-10 players score 15 or more in a season.

Top prem goalscorers and their highest tally.

15 - Lukaku - Yakubu

13 - Saha

12 - Campbell

11 - Fellaini, AJ, Cahill, Big Dunc,

The situation here is Lukaku's all round game is 'meh'. Joint highest goalscorer whilst cost double what Yakubu cost. Could the £28m have been spent on on all round better striker? Most certainly. The only way I look at it is "Lukaku" as a brand will hold value. So we may have to cut our losses at some point and get the money back. Because right now he isn't looking anywhere near that price tag. 10 goals in the league for a £28m striker isn't good enough.

Edited by MC11

Could the £28m have been spent on on all round better striker? Most certainly.

Who would you suggest we bought?

This goes for Haf as well (it's not to stir) i'm just interested to know.

In August 2014, the board said, "You have £28m to spend on a striker, go out and buy someone for us", who would you have bought?

In August 2014, the board said, "You have £28m to spend on a striker, go out and buy someone for us", who would you have bought?

I still say it now, Wilfried Bony £20m at the time would have triggered release clause. I would have had Welbeck ahead of him also.

I still say it now, Wilfried Bony £20m at the time would have triggered release clause. I would have had Welbeck ahead of him also.

I think he'd have been a great addition in fairness, but that summer it would have been a straight race between us and City.

Realistically, I think we'd have known the outcome. Do you think he would he have joined Everton from Swansea if reported interest was coming in from City?

Welbeck's scored 4 PL goals so far. Albeit he cost £10m less. Definitely more realistic option though.

Edited by tenaciousj

There is nobody, not that would have any resale value anyway which is absolutely a must when a club like us pisses 28 million up the wall (not up front but still)

People were mentioning Wellbeck, after a semi decent side he's done absolutely fuck all for a much more free scoring team than us with much better players around, Bony maybe but no resale from him and he was only as proven as Lukaku was. CharlieAustin, Ings? Nobody else would probably ofcome on our wages to us I don't think.

Lukaku will come good I have no doubt about that. We will also get our money back off him regardless of how he does.

There is nobody, not that would have any resale value anyway which is absolutely a must when a club like us pisses 28 million up the wall (not up front but still)

People were mentioning Wellbeck, after a semi decent side he's done absolutely fuck all for a much more free scoring team than us with much better players around, Bony maybe but no resale from him and he was only as proven as Lukaku was. CharlieAustin, Ings? Nobody else would probably ofcome on our wages to us I don't think.

Lukaku will come good I have no doubt about that. We will also get our money back off him regardless of how he does.

voice of reason. thank you. spot on.

In January 2011, Suárez transferred to Liverpool for €26.5 million (£22.8 million).

I know this was a few years ago but this makes the (£25m) fee for Lukaku look like a joke, there are plenty of better strikers out there if you search for them.

The mistake was to buy from another English club ,they are always way over priced.

Edited by Bill

I think he'd have been a great addition in fairness, but that summer it would have been a straight race between us and City.

Realistically, I think we'd have known the outcome. Do you think he would he have joined Everton from Swansea if reported interest was coming in from City?

Welbeck's scored 4 PL goals so far. Albeit he cost £10m less. Definitely more realistic option though.

We bought Rom before Bony signed his contract with Swansea that enabled them to get more than the £20m, I actually think we could have got him.

Welbeck is just one unlucky lad, because hw is such a willing runner he is used out wide, Giroud is a better finisher, but I honestly believe with extended games centrally Welbeck would flourish.

In January 2011, Suárez transferred to Liverpool for 26.5 million (£22.8 million).

I know this was a few years ago but this makes the (£25m) fee for Lukaku look like a joke, there are plenty of better strikers out there if you search for them.

The mistake was to buy English, they are always way over priced.

Lukaku's Belgian?

In January 2011, Suárez transferred to Liverpool for 26.5 million (£22.8 million).

The mistake was to buy from another English club ,they are always way over priced.

So who would you have taken instead then?

We bought Rom before Bony signed his contract with Swansea that enabled them to get more than the £20m, I actually think we could have got him.

Welbeck is just one unlucky lad, because hw is such a willing runner he is used out wide, Giroud is a better finisher, but I honestly believe with extended games centrally Welbeck would flourish.

Our best opportunity to sign Bony was pre-Swansea IMO. After that and his great first season, we were already out of the running.

Bill - Who, as of last summer, would you have taken for £28m.

Not years gone. Just last summer. What were the options.

In January 2011, Suárez transferred to Liverpool for €26.5 million (£22.8 million).

But £24m for Soldado looks like a joke. £35m for Andy Carroll looks like a joke. £33m for Robinho looks like a joke. Even players with incredible records, may cost you millions (Torres - £50m, Schevchenko £30m) and even that's not a guarantee of how a player will perform at the new club. Those two were absolute dead certs to carry on their credentials. It just so happened not to. They were finished articles and flopped. We have an unfinished one, who's heavily critisised.

Until you pay it, how do you know if they're worth the money?

Suarez did well in Holland, not that brilliant, he became a MUCH better player at Liverpool. Without doubt. He was worth (£23m) that, back then. Alfonso Alves came from Holland, scored a goal a game....turned out he just liked pies too much.

Edited by tenaciousj