IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Lukaku let himself down with his comments this week. Footballers really are just daft sometimes, he doesn't want to sign a new contract, fine, but keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. If he scores today, fine, he gets paid to do that and you can just put the talk down to immaturity or bad advice or whatever. But if he looks off the pace he'll get slaughtered and can't really complain.

Just out of interest what did he say that was wrong for you to say he let himself down ?

Just out of interest what did he say that was wrong for you to say he let himself down ?

You could go 2 ways with it.

One is he questioned the ambition of the club and therfore insulted the ambition of Moshiri, Koeman etc and commented on things which aren't his place to comment on in the media.

Or you could say why, for the 3rd year in a run at the same time each year, come out with statements that cause negative attention.

Took his chances, did his job and was respectful to the crowd.

If he goes I'll be gutted, really gutted, he's the player we've needed for so long. A striker who can score on such a regular basis, who defenders fear, who is genuinely top class. I've enjoyed his Everton career so far, I sat on the edge of my seat for hours waiting for him to sign, and he hasn't disappointed. I'll enjoy the next nine games, and quietly hope for more. I genuinely believe this club is going the right way, we can get there much faster with Rom than we can without him.

2 good finishes and another assist, or are we still pretending he offers nothing else to the team?

His all round contribution has improved - not just looking at 'assists'.

Then again why would that be of interest to you? Apparently the only thing that mattered was him scoring... losing the ball etc wasn't an issue was it?

Well not when he was doing it... of course it wasn't a problem.

Funny thing with timings to some fans.... by all accounts Rom was ok to question the boards ambition after we have spent a fair chunk of money on players and are looking to imminently move into a new stadium.

But it wasn't ok for the fans to call the chairman to question who has sat over two failed stadium moves.

Edited by Hafnia

I think suggesting the club you play for lacks ambition in public is always a little lacking in class personally, unless it is glaringly obvious it's being run by pricks. To suggest it of a club in out position is just silly.

But look, he's a quality goal scorer, I want him to stay because he'll be very hard to replace. If he really believes we cannot match his ambitions to win things, we should be looking at a world record fee for him. Who would you rather have, Lukaku or Pogba?

'Assists'....

Yep... what about them?

Are we playing this game where any relevant criticism prior to any improvement becomes irrelevant - almost as if it wasn't a problem?

I don't have that form of "Romnesia" where games like the fa cup semi final dissappear from memory when he talks about wanting silverware etc.

He's having a very good season. Let's not try and make out he's been player of the season the previous 4 years.... he wasn't player of the season in any of them.

His all round contribution has improved - not just looking at 'assists'.

Then again why would that be of interest to you? Apparently the only thing that mattered was him scoring... losing the ball etc wasn't an issue was it?

Well not when he was doing it... of course it wasn't a problem.

Funny thing with timings to some fans.... by all accounts Rom was ok to question the boards ambition after we have spent a fair chunk of money on players and are looking to imminently move into a new stadium.

But it wasn't ok for the fans to call the chairman to question who has sat over two failed stadium moves.

What the fuck are you on about now?

When have I ever said the only thing that matters is him scoring goals?

I've always seen what Lukaku brings to the table and what he is capable of , you're the one who thinks the only thing he offers is his goals

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Everyone else was understanding of his flaws as he was young and still improving.

He has since improved and now has 21 goals and 6 assists in (I think) 27 games. We all thought he would get to this level, it wasn't excuses, it was patience.

No...it wasnt people understanding his flaws it was blatant denying them. This answer applies to dunc too.

Some absolute bullshit on this thread - to the point of either piss taking or being a WUM.

Yes he's scored a grand sum of goals - as a team we are more potent. His general play has improved - it needed to. That's the thing that pisses me off - i was highlighting how it was impacting our play and his game ... "ah no it wasn't a problem".... err yes it fucking was. Even to the point that clear stats were being disputed around his passing accuracy - distance covered etc..... it was a problem and I dare say it's a watch item at best.

Either way - he will be off playing for whoever soon enough. His ability to finish is a credit to the team and will be tough to replace but - his overall game can be replaced and improved.

No...it wasnt people understanding his flaws it was blatant denying them. This answer applies to dunc too.

Some absolute bullshit on this thread - to the point of either piss taking or being a WUM.

Yes he's scored a grand sum of goals - as a team we are more potent. His general play has improved - it needed to. That's the thing that pisses me off - i was highlighting how it was impacting our play and his game ... "ah no it wasn't a problem".... err yes it fucking was. Even to the point that clear stats were being disputed around his passing accuracy - distance covered etc..... it was a problem and I dare say it's a watch item at best.

Either way - he will be off playing for whoever soon enough. His ability to finish is a credit to the team and will be tough to replace but - his overall game can be replaced and improved.

Ha ha that's twice in a week I've found myself agreeing with you in one of the Rom threads , there definitely is some absolute bullshit being spouted!

Read the comments sll.

Clear to see that it's 50/50.

Why can't any of you accept it?

Why do you have to be right?

He is attest goalscorer and asset to the team.

But he isn't a great footballer.

Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't know football in my opinion. It's really not that hard to see.

It simple fact is....and it's really simple.

He IS a great goalscorer.

He is a HUGE asset to the team.

It's simple.

I hate it when people say "he's not a great footballer."

His goals have been class and his hold up play has improved tremendously. Throw in his assists, and he's the best forward in the league.

He's a great footballer. I don't give a damn what he says in the press. It has no bearing whatsoever on his ability.

Alle-fucking lulliah and Amen.

End of thread.

It's hilarious that people wanted to run the Lukaku is only goals argument... like fuck it's only goals, who needs that in the first place but ignoring that....

2013/2014 15 Goals, 6 Assists (2nd best in assists)

2014/2015 10 Goals, 5 Assists (2nd best in assists)

2015/2016 18 Goals, 6 Assists (3rd best in assists)

2016/2017 21 Goals, 6 Assists (2nd best in assists)

Yep, he nowhere near being a great footballer, he's only been our top goalscorer for 4 seasons and top 2 in assists for 3 out of 4 seasons and he'll probably go for stupid money if he gets sold.....

He'll be winning the golden boot by a street if he was taking pens like all his competitors........

Wow imagine how good he would be if he was a great footballer.

Until the stadium is announced it means nothing. More than half the squad might not even be playing for us by the time it's built..... if it's announced.

And spending an extra 27.1 million on players (23-24 mil depending on how much Sunderland paid for Oviedeo) isn't a fair chunk. Especially if Deulofeu, Cleverley and Niasse's buy on loan options are taken..... we'll nearly be even on transfer spend if they all go....

It's like players can't do maths themselves or something lol....

You know what would show ambition? Announcing the stadium and spending 100m on players while keeping our best players in the team. Not selling Rom for 80m, others for 20m and spending 90-110 million.

We're closer to Champions League with Rom in the side than without and with Arsenal in the shape they are right now..... (cya Sanchez)

Edited by Westlo

His goals have been class and his hold up play has improved tremendously. Throw in his assists, and he's the best forward in the league.

He's a great footballer. I don't give a damn what he says in the press. It has no bearing whatsoever on his ability.

I grew he has improved greatly. I just wouldn't say he is a great footballer.

A great goalscorer yes. And he is an assist machine.

But Bergkamp was a great footballer. Rom is a good footballer.

But it is all about goals, and he is one of the best if not THE best in the premier at the moment and we should cherish what we have.

I grew he has improved greatly. I just wouldn't say he is a great footballer.

A great goalscorer yes. And he is an assist machine.

But Bergkamp was a great footballer. Rom is a good footballer.

But it is all about goals, and he is one of the best if not THE best in the premier at the moment and we should cherish what we have.

Depends what your definition of footballer is.

For me Rom is a great footballer, he scores goals, creates chances, stretches defenses. What he does not have is great ball control which Bergkamp did have. But Technique is not the be all and end all of being a great footballer.

More assists than Hafs beloved Kane too. Kane got a ton of pens too, Lukaku none. He's by and large the best striker in the league this year. And he's ours. World beater.

To repeat for the umpteenth time my concerned about him were/are attitude, footballing contribution in terms of working from the front and ball retention.

I find it very difficult to get all giddy over stats when my eyes see something that concerns me that affects the team.

Kane isn't my "beloved" - he's a player who I have huge admiration for. His natural ability is not anywhere near great - his mental strength, self driven development and team focus is what makes him so good.

I'd actually counter your argument by showing Kane's goals despite missing 2 months of football but I can't be fuckin arsed.

"He's ours".... haha... he never fuckin has been, he's made that abundantly clear.

Edited by Hafnia

A great "footballer"?

I think toffeetalk could do with a glossary..

Great finisher? Great goalscorer? - yep I'll go with that. Great athlete? Yep.

Great footballer? - not even near. Muller wasn't a great footballer, Latchford wasn't, Lineker wasn't, rush wasn't.

great "footballers" who play or played as strikers - Bergkamp, zola, rooney, Henry, stoichkov. He does not belong in that category - no way near. Great "footballers" are technical players with an immediate footballing brain who know instinctively what to do.

His back to goal play is still pretty hit and miss - his control although improved is sub par for a pro footballer.