IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I seen Peter Reid bend in a beautiful left footer in 1985 that made him look like liam brady.... the reality is that he was a box to box midfielder.

We can use examples of players doing things that are great - Rom may score the odd goal like he did against chelsea. The reality is that he is not a dribbler He can go one to one and beat a man with a knock past and use pace - taking on a few players - no his feet arent quick enough.

This is the problem - people can't accept him for what he is. They have to make out that he's something far more to justify his hype.

He's a great goalscorer without being a very good footballer. Nothing wrong with that. Inzaghi, owen, huntelaar, jardel, Lineker, gomez. If he was a great footballer he would be worth the £90m plus no question.

Your arguments are starting to fall on deaf ears now fella, we get it, you don't rate Rom as highly as many of us, you are very much entitled to that opinion as we are with ours, just I don't think we need reminding every few posts about it.

To quote you "This is the problem - people can't accept him for what he is" what makes your opinion right over mine? I see him as a great footballer, he does what his position would have him do, score goals, and he does that very well.

I like majority of your posts Haf, just I don't agree with your Rom ones.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/03/20/evertons-late-goals-habit

ROM’S RELIABILITY

Then, of course, there is Romelu Lukaku and the now unshakeable expectation that he will, at some point, score.

Hull City was a prime example. After a driving run and shot that sailed narrowly over the bar, quickly followed by another venomous effort that drew a spectacular save from Eldin Jakupovic, the Blues striker could have been forgiven for thinking it simply wasn’t his day.

And yet, within half an hour of that latter chance, Lukaku had netted twice – his ninth and 10th goals that fall in the ‘late’ category.

Recently it has been a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’ Lukaku will score. He has nine in his last six games and 27 in 33 appearances for club and country across the campaign.

6aae19d3a52e4333b859b0fd0d6ad5b4.jpg?la=

His shot conversion rate further demonstrates his reliability in front of goal. Lukaku has scored 21 league goals from 80 shots, meaning 26.28 per cent of his efforts have found the back of the net. To put that in perspective, those recognised as the top strikers in the league boast the following percentages:

Alexis Sanchez – 19.15%
Harry Kane – 27.53%
Diego Costa – 21.79%
Sergio Aguero – 13.98%

With Everton enjoying this knack of scoring late goals, and with big games to come against Liverpool and Manchester United, Evertonians would certainly be advised to stay in their seats until the final whistle for the remaining nine game of the campaign...!

http://www.football365.com/news/origi-adamant-that-lukaku-has-not-streaked-away

Divock, you were never even close to Romelu. Now you're so insignificant that's it's embarrassing you even get brought up in the same conversation.

Soz.

I agree there is no comparison, right now Rom is way ahead of him. But to be fair to Origi, three/four years ago, they were comparable, with some even making the case Origi had the brighter future. In the last two seasons Rom just took off, while Origi has stalled.

Technically the lad has a higher ceiling than lukaku. He is quicker off the mark whereas lukaku has pace over a longer stretch. As a finisher lukaku is the more natural.

Origi will be a top class player - he's already very good. Till his injury he was flying. If he gets a solid run in a set position he is quality.

I agree there is no comparison, right now Rom is way ahead of him. But to be fair to Origi, three/four years ago, they were comparable, with some even making the case Origi had the brighter future. In the last two seasons Rom just took off, while Origi has stalled.

And some thought that was laughable at the time. Myself included.

He's faster than Rom, and that's about it. Origi will never get close Romelu.

And some thought that was laughable at the time. Myself included.

He's faster than Rom, and that's about it. Origi will never get close Romelu.

How do you know this? You don't. Most on here had him down for being a lemon and his run of goals and performances was met with silence, as was his return from a summer break with 5 pounds of muscle which seen him push in the side.

He is pretty much the backup for coutinho.

For a 21 year old - i dont think there is much wrong with the lad. He is a good player and will be a top player.

How do you know this? You don't. Most on here had him down for being a lemon and his run of goals and performances was met with silence, as was his return from a summer break with 5 pounds of muscle which seen him push in the side.

For a 21 year old - i dont think there is much wrong with the lad. He is a good player and will be a top player.

You ask how I know this and then state your own opinion as fact as well :lol:.

Ok, Haf, in my opinion Origi will never, ever, come close to Lukaku.

You ask how I know this and then state your own opinion as fact as well :lol:.

Ok, Haf, in my opinion Origi will never, ever, come close to Lukaku.

In my opinion they are different types of players - origi is more technically accomplished, quicker but if given a run as a central striker could become very effective.

Thierry Henry was utilised very much in the same was as origi having very similar traits until Wenger bought him and used him as a striker.

They bought him for £8- £10m.... I said at the time it was a bargain and it is. I'm just gutted they got him.

Ironically it was the tackle in the Derby that knocked him. Confidence player imo and he will be very good.

Technically the lad has a higher ceiling than lukaku. He is quicker off the mark whereas lukaku has pace over a longer stretch. As a finisher lukaku is the more natural.

Origi will be a top class player - he's already very good. Till his injury he was flying. If he gets a solid run in a set position he is quality.

Haf, stop it mate, seriously. You are so obsessed over this Lukaku thing. Just let it go and admit you are wrong. To even suggest Origi could one day be better than Lukaku is just ludicrous it really is.

Holy shit, Origi is very good yet Lukaku isn't great.smh.

Origi is mostly potential, Lukaku is proven and still has a lot of potential to fill.

As 19 year olds Origi scored 5 goals for Lille, meanwhile Lukaku scored 17 for West Brom including a hatrick in Sir Alex final game.

Origi had a good spell at one stage while Lukaku was poor, the difference between them has returned to normal levels.

17 in 35 for West Brom, 64 in 132 for us, 19 in 54 for Belgium

Vs

13 in 63 for Lille (not counting the season he moved their), 9 in 35 for Liverpool and 3 in 22 for Belgium.

They're not close and they never will be except for one six month period where Origi was at his best and Lukaku at his worst.

FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!! how many times do I need to clarify my definition of a "great footballer" vs "great goalscorer"

You can be a great defender a great goalscorer and actually be an average footballer.

That is why I bring up "technical" into the critique.

Seriously do some people just pick snippets from what is written? Yet they get pissed off when journos do the same?

Will origi score as many goals as lukaku? Probably not. Is he a better footballer? Yes - plus he has the opportunity to get better..

Comparing origi to Lukaku is like comparing lookman to Lukaku. Origi is used out wide but I believe he has the potential to play central. More skillful and technically adept than Rom - doesn't have his natural finishing.

Now.... is everyone clear on that or do I need to differentiate a great footballer from a great finisher or whatever again?

The best finisher in the world can be shite at football and more valuable to a team than the best "footballer" in the world. The best defender in the world may not be able to pass a ball more than 10 yards, can't bring a ball out and be generally really shit at football but as a defender is brilliant at stopping the opponents which makes them invaluable to the team.

None of you had the problem in understanding this when we were comparing John stones to ashley williams but all of a sudden it becomes a problem to refer to Rom as not being a great footballer? About right.

Edited by Hafnia

Your missing the point though.

YOU aren't allowed to have an opinion on Lukaku. People don't like it.

Others are and will be allowed to post as much as they like to discuss it. But if you comment then your obsessed.

Just incase you are wondering.... the Haf police aren't obsessed.

Your missing the point though.

YOU aren't allowed to have an opinion on Lukaku. People don't like it.

Others are and will be allowed to post as much as they like to discuss it. But if you comment then your obsessed.

Just incase you are wondering.... the Haf police aren't obsessed.

Don't worry the "grand old team" levels of hypocrisy and pack mentality isn't lost on me. Fuckin pathetic.

When Rom is good you see so much fawning on here.... any reserved opinions are met with ridicule.

When Rom is bad any criticisms are faced with excuses and further ridicule.

As I've said on numerous occasions the obsession is far from being one sided.

Edited by Hafnia

Probably the same way you knew Roms linkup play and control will never improve because it's learnt and an early age....

My silence on Origi, as with Kane, is that I couldn't give a shit - they don't play for Everton

Edited by Matt

Probably the same way you knew Roms linkup play and control will never improve because it's learnt and an early age....

My silence on Origi, as with Kane, is that I couldn't give a shit - they don't play for Everton

Roms touch and link up play is like seeing an x factor winner 6 months after they won the contest. Had alot of work done to it but alas when compared to its peers is still pretty shit.

I will grant you this - it's better. It could barely get worse. Is it actually at a level where he could play for a touch football side? No fuckin way.

His touch is like a golfer with an inconsistent swing - it will let him down at the most critical of times as we have seen in the euros and fa cup semi final.

Edited by Hafnia

Pack mentality? We're not on GOT levels, nowhere near.

Sometimes the majority disagree with you (and others) that's fine. Don't claim they're on a witch hunt because views differ.

No question that both sides are either overly critical or overly praising. That's as plain as day. I wouldn't even be able to tell if it's because one side is/was so one sided, that the other has had to compensate for it.

Edit: His touch is certainly not "shit", as you say his touch may not be as clinical or controlled as the best technical players in the world but it's far from being shit. There's an example of extreme bias.

Edited by Lowensda

Problem is that one side seems to get perosonal comments much much more. So looking at it from a neautral point.....and mine is neautral because I love Rom and want him to stay. But see Hafs views as credible but ferociously believed by himself.....it seems like he is just told to give in, or, we get it, don't go on Haf...etc etc.

This thread is meant to discuss Lukaku, not Haf and his obsession with proving Lukaku is shit. Instead of discussing how credible Hafs opinions are we should be discussing Lukaku. If after being shown another side Haf still thinks he is right, then discuss more or let it be.

There isn't an end game to a discussion of opinions. You don't have to change a persons mind. It's ok to have your own views.

Trust me, it gets just as boring for others to read.... for gods sake Haf! Than it is to see, Lukaku has a shit touch.

Anyway. Who is better, Lukaku or Kane?

Not sure what perosonal is, but I stand by it!

Edited by Shukes