IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

A ten day contract and sixteen seconds of game time :huh:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/basketball/32214585

What's that about then?

the game is won or lost by then so it doesn't matter who is on the court. guess the coach was doing him a favor by just giving him a chance to be on the court. 10 day contract is the same as being "on trial" in the EPL. they test you out see what you got maybe play you when the team is getting beat by 10 or more points and hope for the best.

Bloody hell; ref gives defending team a free kick for encroachment during a penalty rather than ordering a retake so the end of the match has to be replayed, starting with the pen in the 96th minute!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32231318

Never heard of that before, complete games have been replayed in the past but that's a new one!

And it was a goal, and it means the England team make it to the finals.

Just happened to look at the player roster for Bournemouth, currently at the top of the Championship. Of their 28 players, two are on loan from other teams, so let's exclude them. This means that all but two players are from the British Isles and most from England. The exceptions are one player from France and one from South Africa. Which just goes to show that teams can do well with homegrown talent without the FA having to come in and disrupt the transfer market.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Just happened to look at the player roster for Bournemouth, currently at the top of the Championship. Of their 28 players, two are on loan from other teams, so let's exclude them. This means that all but two players are from the British Isles and most from England. The exceptions are one player from France and one from South Africa. Which just goes to show that teams can do well with homegrown talent without the FA having to come in and disrupt the transfer market.

Hold that thought until/when they're in the PL and see how competitive they are then.

Hold that thought until/when they're in the PL and see how competitive they are then.

Indeed; I really hope they come up because they deserve it for the way they've played (plus the boss is an Evertonian I think) but they'll struggle.

In other sports; what an incredible thirty-six holes from Jordan Spieth! Lowest half way score in Masters history. Shame to see Justin Rose dropping shots early in his round today, thought he was in with a good shout after yesterday, but he's got a couple back so all is not lost. Also nice to see Paul Casey at the sharp end again.

Got £5 e/w on speith at 11/1. Got 5 e/w on Jason day and Dustin Johnson pays out up to 7th. So it's looking good.

Good calls. McIlroy looking like he'll do well to make the cut now, Casey and Rose still in contention.

Really enjoy the Masters :).

Good calls. McIlroy looking like he'll do well to make the cut now, Casey and Rose still in contention.

Really enjoy the Masters :).

It's a couple of hours away from here, and many many people travel to watch. I used to have a colleague from Canada, and he put his name into the lottery each year for the right to attend. Many more want to attend than can actually attend.

I've been to 3 Open championships and I'd trade them all in to be able to walk round Augusta, it's breathtaking. Even non golfers look at the tv screen in amazement at the course, perfection in its appearance 1000s of acres all looking like every blade of grass has been trimmed to mm accuracy.

Bloody hell; ref gives defending team a free kick for encroachment during a penalty rather than ordering a retake so the end of the match has to be replayed, starting with the pen in the 96th minute!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32231318

Never heard of that before, complete games have been replayed in the past but that's a new one!

That's what they get for letting a.split arse ref it. How would she of known when to give offside :huh:

England once again a complete shambles - this time against the Windies.

They're like the England football side - they play too conservatively and never think outside the box. Which puts themselves under pressure, and then when one of them gets out the pressure increases again and it just gets worse and worse.

341-5 at the close, test cricket is the one format we still contend in, great recovery.

After an extremely slow start Bell was brilliant. I do love watching him bat when he's in full flow.

I'm a big fan of Root and Stokes too. They're two players we should build around. Especially if Stokes can improve his bowling, which is a bit hit and miss. He's a much better all-round prospect than Woakes.

Are England the only team with a tail at the top and bottom of the order?

(Stole that off the beeb by the way, but wish I'd thought of it)

I couldn't see many sides sticking with a captain that's an opening batsmen that hasn't scored a competitive hundred in 2 years.

The thing about it is that he just doesn't even look like getting back in form.

I'm not really sure what the point of Alastair Cook is. Other than to blink really slowly like a sloth.

Edited by Romey 1878

Back on the scarcity of black managers again...

Quotes the stats..

Black and ethnic minority representation

Players in Premier League and Football League - 25%

UK population - 14%

Managers in the Premier League and Football League - 6.5%

Which resulted in this comment below.

"So based on the Black and ethnic minority representation table in the article where it states that 14% of the U.K population is black. 25% of footballers in the U.K are black, well above population percentage.

Why isn't there a campaign to get more white players playing professional football?"

And in fact only 3% of people defined themselves as "black" or "black British" in the 2011 census; the other 11% the article describes as black are actually asian or of asian decent, and those countries historically and generally (though there will obviously be exceptions) tend to be more interested in cricket and hockey.

So I think the figures are misleading anyway; 6.5% of managers being black is probably an over-representation in truth.

Back on the scarcity of black managers again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31970841

Quotes the stats..

Black and ethnic minority representation

Players in Premier League and Football League - 25%

UK population - 14%

Managers in the Premier League and Football League - 6.5%

Which resulted in this comment below.

"So based on the Black and ethnic minority representation table in the article where it states that 14% of the U.K population is black. 25% of footballers in the U.K are black, well above population percentage.

Why isn't there a campaign to get more white players playing professional football?"

Yeah I just think chairman and board members ignore the best candidates to spend their money and to get as much revenue from tv rights etc. As long as they are white they will get the job....

It's not like John Barnes, Ruud Gullit, Tigana, Ince got jobs at big clubs whilst being unproven is it?

Of course it's a load of bollocks, imagine if Tim Sherwood was black after being sacked from spurs with his record, or Nigel Adkins was black whilst getting sacked from Southampton....

Getting to be a joke all this.