IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Nice piece on Eddie Howe, one of us despite his south coast roots so great to see him so successful. Just the same as me (career path aside) in that he watched the Blues in countless away games before visiting Goodison. Good guy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46254655

46 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And me not the good guy bit 😒

foreign aliens  load up you guns guys  we are scousers  not reds lol lol

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Nice piece on Eddie Howe, one of us despite his south coast roots so great to see him so successful. Just the same as me (career path aside) in that he watched the Blues in countless away games before visiting Goodison. Good guy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46254655

Would love him here if Silva were ever to depart. 

Just watching the start of the Wales/Springboks game and it boils my blood every time that all England international teams (whatever the sport) have to suffer the dirge of "God Save the Queen" while Wales/Scotland/NI have their own national tunes/songs. Why?

(Commonwealth Games is an exception)

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Just watching the start of the Wales/Springboks game and it boils my blood every time that all England international teams (whatever the sport) have to suffer the dirge of "God Save the Queen" while Wales/Scotland/NI have their own national tunes/songs. Why?

(Commonwealth Games is an exception)

Don't know but the sooner they get their own independence the better especially Scotland and Northern Ireland, for such a small population they have far too much say in parliament.

Sorry Mike went on a different tangent then I think it's to assert their independence from us.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Sorry Mike went on a different tangent then I think it's to assert their independence from us.

I applaud them for that, so why can't we assert our independence from them? GB & NI medals at the Olympics or whenever we're competing as such GSTQ fair enough, even though I hate the deference to God and the monarch which I don't think any other country in the World resorts to so I wish it were changed. Everyone else celebrates their country rather than their head of state I think, and even countries where religion is a big deal (and it's a minority interest here unlike the US for example) don't sing to their "God".

Annoys me intensely and I refuse to join in if I happen to be at an event where it's sung.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I applaud them for that, so why can't we assert our independence from them? GB & NI medals at the Olympics or whenever we're competing as such GSTQ fair enough, even though I hate the deference to God and the monarch which I don't think any other country in the World resorts to so I wish it were changed. Everyone else celebrates their country rather than their head of state I think, and even countries where religion is a big deal (and it's a minority interest here unlike the US for example) don't sing to their "God".

Annoys me intensely and I refuse to join in if I happen to be at an event where it's sung.

You know that saying where British as if to excuse why we don't do things we maybe should, or we let people take the piss because we are British and we can rise above criticism or unfair play, it should really be because we are English even in sport we try and give the other home countries some form of big brother support when all they want is to see us fail, now politics is going the same way, now for me the national anthem is English and if we all part we would keep the national anthem, I would hate that to be played at a Scotland match of any description.

23 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You know that saying where British as if to excuse why we don't do things we maybe should, or we let people take the piss because we are British and we can rise above criticism or unfair play, it should really be because we are English even in sport we try and give the other home countries some form of big brother support when all they want is to see us fail, now politics is going the same way, now for me the national anthem is English and if we all part we would keep the national anthem, I would hate that to be played at a Scotland match of any description.

My problem is that the the anthem has no mention/relevance to England or the wider UK, it's purely knee scraping to the monarch and asking god to look after her. Compare to "Advance Australia Fair" or " La Marseillaise" or "The Star-Spangled Banner" or even the Greek "Hymn to Liberty" (I include that because I've sat in the spot where Dionysios Solomos got his inspiration to write it). The national anthem should be about the nation, not some inbred head of state who happened to be born into a dysfunctional family. 

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

My problem is that the the anthem has no mention/relevance to England or the wider UK, it's purely knee scraping to the monarch and asking god to look after her. Compare to "Advance Australia Fair" or " La Marseillaise" or "The Star-Spangled Banner" or even the Greek "Hymn to Liberty" (I include that because I've sat in the spot where Dionysios Solomos got his inspiration to write it). The national anthem should be about the nation, not some inbred head of state who happened to be born into a dysfunctional family. 

I agree Mike, it's never been an anthem that I've taken on board as a representation of my national pride or identity just a nod to the Royals who I don't care much for 

There Will Always Be An England by Vera Lynn would be far more befitting tbh 

I actually like the national anthem. I dont really give a shit what the words say but I think its a quick and quite passionate anthem that as a player would get me pumped up for the game. 

Some of these fancy dan anthems around the world are far to upbeat and go on for days! 

I do wish they would stop getting opera singers to do it though. Give the mic to a group of blokes at a pub and it would be far better!

32 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t know why they don’t ban them.  Why would you pay money to go watch a match obstructed by flags?  You can’t bring that stuff into stadiums in America.  Small signs but they aren’t obstructing views.

They're not going to wave them for the whole game are they? Probably just when the teams run onto the pitch at the start of each half!