IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

On 01/11/2018 at 17:12, hafnia said:

I'm still not attached to a team in the NFL yet....

First US state I went to was Baltimore..... landed there .. that was it.  Stayed in LA and San Diego and Vega (they don't have a team).

I'm drawn to Kansas City.... dunno why. But their Quarter Back is potfntially gonna be the  greatest of all time. Patrick Mahomes. Kid has got serious talent.  

First, to get pedantry out of the way, Baltimore is a city in the state of Maryland. The Oakland Raiders are moving to Vegas in the off-season, so they will have a team soon.

On 02/11/2018 at 09:45, sibdane said:

Bit early for that! But yes, he has some serious talent. He really came out of nowhere.

Lastly, I wouldn’t say Mahomes came out of nowhere. They managed him well, but he was taken with the 10th pick in the 2017 draft as the 2nd quarterback (only one additional quarterback was taken until late into the third round - the other two being Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson). In college, he set single game NCAA records for most offensive yards in a game and most passing yards in a game, and led the country in total offensive yards, passing yards and touchdowns in his final season.

The only reason he didn’t get rookie hype was that the Chiefs smartly waited for him to learn the offense in his rookie season as they had a very capable veteran QB in Alex Smith for him to learn from. As soon as the season was over, they let Smith leave for the Redskins because Mahomes was always their plan for the future.

my cleveland browns are a great story.  didn't win a game last year, got the QB of our future in Mayfield and now we are still alive for the playoffs.  Could have a winning record!!  We got the right GM finally in John Dorsey (guy who turned around Green Bay and won a super bowl, and is the reason Kansas City is so good now including Mahomes).  

22 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

First, to get pedantry out of the way, Baltimore is a city in the state of Maryland. The Oakland Raiders are moving to Vegas in the off-season, so they will have a team soon.

Lastly, I wouldn’t say Mahomes came out of nowhere. They managed him well, but he was taken with the 10th pick in the 2017 draft as the 2nd quarterback (only one additional quarterback was taken until late into the third round - the other two being Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson). In college, he set single game NCAA records for most offensive yards in a game and most passing yards in a game, and led the country in total offensive yards, passing yards and touchdowns in his final season.

The only reason he didn’t get rookie hype was that the Chiefs smartly waited for him to learn the offense in his rookie season as they had a very capable veteran QB in Alex Smith for him to learn from. As soon as the season was over, they let Smith leave for the Redskins because Mahomes was always their plan for the future.

I meant it more in the sense that he has exploded this season. He's having a season like a Brady or Manning, and it's his first one with the starting job. Yes, the Chiefs managed him well, but you don't expect newer players, especially QBs, to start off as well as he has. 

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

my cleveland browns are a great story.  didn't win a game last year, got the QB of our future in Mayfield and now we are still alive for the playoffs.  Could have a winning record!!  We got the right GM finally in John Dorsey (guy who turned around Green Bay and won a super bowl, and is the reason Kansas City is so good now including Mahomes).  

The Browns have been bad for so long that I've actually developed a soft spot for them. Hopefully they've finally found their QB in Mayfield. How many QBs have they gone through over the years?! Notably, Manziel and RGIII recently. 

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Drew Brees, enough said.  Most underrated dude in the NFL along with Aaron Rodgers.

Totally agree. I love the Packers, so I really appreciate Rodgers, and I'm about an hour from NOLA so hear about Brees a lot. They'll both go down as all-time greats, especially Brees, even though I think Rodgers is technically better. 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

Had him as my QB last year. Was great till he did 3 on the bounce for a total of 15 points.

Got mahomes this year... I'm in the final. 

I'm in the final too in my money league. NFL fantasy football is so much better than fantasy soccer, even though soccer is the greater sport.

Mahomes has been insane. 

9 hours ago, sibdane said:

I'm in the final too in my money league. NFL fantasy football is so much better than fantasy soccer, even though soccer is the greater sport.

Mahomes has been insane. 

I was predicted 0-13 for my FF league, came second with 10-3 but got knocked out in the first round of playoffs. Still considering that a win considering the initial projection :) 

On 19/12/2018 at 23:18, sibdane said:

Mahomes has been insane. 

It's a brilliant real time format.... appeals to the inner geek.  Massively addictive. 

On 19/12/2018 at 12:53, sibdane said:

The Browns have been bad for so long that I've actually developed a soft spot for them. Hopefully they've finally found their QB in Mayfield. How many QBs have they gone through over the years?! Notably, Manziel and RGIII recently. 

Yeah Mayfield’s a bit of a dick, though. Chubb I like a lot. There’s a lot of good talent there. I’d love to see them do well.

On 19/12/2018 at 18:18, sibdane said:

Mahomes has been insane. 

Agreed. It’s frustrating as hell but there are far too many inconsistencies and immeasurables to make fantasy soccer a good game. I’ve tried the past couple years but I just can’t get into it. Hopefully they’ll work it out. I like the draft system better but I was working during the ToffeeTalk draft and ended up with the shittiest squad in the league by a good measure, so I had to quit.

And yeah, Mahomes has been incredible. I have him in 2/3 leagues. Unfortunately I also had Le’veon Bell in one of them.

7 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Agreed. It’s frustrating as hell but there are far too many inconsistencies and immeasurables to make fantasy soccer a good game. I’ve tried the past couple years but I just can’t get into it. Hopefully they’ll work it out. I like the draft system better but I was working during the ToffeeTalk draft and ended up with the shittiest squad in the league by a good measure, so I had to quit.

And yeah, Mahomes has been incredible. I have him in 2/3 leagues. Unfortunately I also had Le’veon Bell in one of them.

Bell has to be the biggest disappointment this season. I'd love to see the statistics on how many people picked him as their first pick.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Cue Scudamore coming back to help but only if the clubs pony up another 500k to bring him back.

#corrupt

The Telegraph Sport (today) has an article about Dinnage pulling out.  In the article headline, Scudamore is spelled Scuadmore and in the article narrative it says that 'Scudamore would receive a £53 million golden goodbye.   They must have been partying in proof reading.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Who is the England international who has been copped using cocaine?  Apparently the FA are refusing to name him.

(There is no truth in the rumour that his name is Charlie.)

I'm calling bullshit given the "source".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6556189/England-footballer-kicked-nightclub-caught-snorting-cocaine-toilet.html