IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

dembele to china for 9m.  i would have been all over that if i was in charge.  he could be the lone sitter we need, physical and great dribbler of the ball able to move quick in transition.

I don't think we should be trying to compete for players that are only interested in a pay cheque, which is the only reason why anyone goes to China.

17 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

dembele to china for 9m.  i would have been all over that if i was in charge.  he could be the lone sitter we need, physical and great dribbler of the ball able to move quick in transition.

At 31? 

He was a great, often underrated, player but he’s been out so long that by the time he got up to speed again, he’d be 32. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

At 31? 

He was a great, often underrated, player but he’s been out so long that by the time he got up to speed again, he’d be 32. 

He is class and speed has never been his game ala Barry.  He’s a dribbler like no other.  StRted At CF for Fulham, moved to the wing, then to the deep role.  I used to watch a lot of Fulham back then because they had Dempsey my favorite American player.  Dembele was a beast on the ball, no one could take it off him.  He still is

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He is class and speed has never been his game ala Barry.  He’s a dribbler like no other.  StRted At CF for Fulham, moved to the wing, then to the deep role.  I used to watch a lot of Fulham back then because they had Dempsey my favorite American player.  Dembele was a beast on the ball, no one could take it off him.  He still is

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly. But I was surprised by your comment because age and sell on value seem to factor into your assessments of players quite often 

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly. But I was surprised by your comment because age and sell on value seem to factor into your assessments of players quite often 

oh i agree, but he's one i've wanted for a long time.  just like gylfi.  i have my favorites in the league, them being 2 of them.  i also really enjoy Sari on fulham and bernardo silva from city.  i like the creative players.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

oh i agree, but he's one i've wanted for a long time.  just like gylfi.  i have my favorites in the league, them being 2 of them.  i also really enjoy Sari on fulham and bernardo silva from city.  i like the creative players.

B Silva is going to be a superstar. Sari... meh. 

Callum Hudson-Odoi will reject Chelsea’s offer of a new £85,000-a-week contract. Bayern Munich have made four bids for the 18-year-old winger with the last one at £35m.

His Chelsea contract runs out in 18 months and he does not want to sign a new deal. 

Hudson-Odoi has made 14 first-team appearances without starting a Premier League game and came on as 80th-minute substitute in the 2-0 defeat at Arsenal on Saturday.

He's only got 88 minutes of Premier league experience. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Callum Hudson-Odoi will reject Chelsea’s offer of a new £85,000-a-week contract. Bayern Munich have made four bids for the 18-year-old winger with the last one at £35m.

His Chelsea contract runs out in 18 months and he does not want to sign a new deal. 

Hudson-Odoi has made 14 first-team appearances without starting a Premier League game and came on as 80th-minute substitute in the 2-0 defeat at Arsenal on Saturday.

He's only got 88 minutes of Premier league experience. 

Sancho didn't have much prem experience either and now look at him. They don't have to have the prem experience to be a very good player, which Hudson-Odoi is. A team like Chelsea will play the big name signing over the younger up and coming stars for a number of factors.

1 hour ago, aaron said:

Sancho didn't have much prem experience either and now look at him. They don't have to have the prem experience to be a very good player, which Hudson-Odoi is. A team like Chelsea will play the big name signing over the younger up and coming stars for a number of factors.

He's been offered £85k a week before he even played 90 minutes at this level. It's crazy. 

Following on from my discussion with Bailey about us on paper being the best of the rest on paper. What team would have the most players in it. I'd have us with 4.

Pickford 

Pereira Duffy Zouma Digne

Zaha Neves Dacoure Richarlison 

Gross 

Jimenez 

Goal Keeper. Pickford is out of form but would you swap him for any of the others? 

RB the hardest to pick with Wan-Bissaka and Holabas. Went for Pereira as he's the most balanced. 

RCB. No one really stands out but Duffy has now experience than Tarkowski and Lacellas the only other decent ones I could think of. 

LCB. Sakho, Maguire and Ake close. Depends on the style of football who you'd want. 

LB. Probably the easiest pick. 

LW. Fraser is more creative in his vision but Richarlison is a potential match winner. 

Centre mids. Along with Digne they pick themselves. 

RW. Zaha, not been great this year but he was head and shoulders above everyone last year. Probably the player that needs a move to help himself progress. 

AM. Another tight pick. Anderson and Jota being very close. 

ST. Arnautovic the only other I could think of. Jimenez edges it on experience. 

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

Following on from my discussion with Bailey about us on paper being the best of the rest on paper. What team would have the most players in it. I'd have us with 4.

Pickford 

Pereira Duffy Zouma Digne

Zaha Neves Dacoure Richarlison 

Gross 

Jimenez 

Goal Keeper. Pickford is out of form but would you swap him for any of the others? 

RB the hardest to pick with Wan-Bissaka and Holabas. Went for Pereira as he's the most balanced. 

RCB. No one really stands out but Duffy has now experience than Tarkowski and Lacellas the only other decent ones I could think of. 

LCB. Sakho, Maguire and Ake close. Depends on the style of football who you'd want. 

LB. Probably the easiest pick. 

LW. Fraser is more creative in his vision but Richarlison is a potential match winner. 

Centre mids. Along with Digne they pick themselves. 

RW. Zaha, not been great this year but he was head and shoulders above everyone last year. Probably the player that needs a move to help himself progress. 

AM. Another tight pick. Anderson and Jota being very close. 

ST. Arnautovic the only other I could think of. Jimenez edges it on experience. 

Interesting to think about...

The players I would look at are:

Bournemouth: Ake, Fraser, Brooks, Wilson, King

Palace: Wan-Bissaka, Zaha

Leicester: Schmeichel, Evans, Maddison, Vardy

Newcastle: Dubravka, Lascelles, Rondon

Watford (not that I have seen much of them): Geri, Doucoure

West Ham: Rice, Anderson, Arnautovich

Wolves: Neves, Jota, Jimenez

I would probably go with:

Pickford

Wan Bissaka / Lascelles / Zouma / Digne

Doucoure / Rice / Neves (that might be too negative)

Zaha / Arnautovich / Anderson (Bernard and Richarlison would be very close)

I think if we picked up Lascelles and Rice we would immediately have a much stronger, smarter, and organised spine to our team.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think if we picked up Lascelles and Rice we would immediately have a much stronger, smarter, and organised spine to our team.

One of the only ones who we could pry that said I wouldn't mind giving Holgate another chance first. 

Agree on the spine, I'd axe Sigurdssen too though. I'd prioritise those three positions before the obvious ones that we need in a striker and a right back. It's easier to build round a good spine than it is to work barkwards. It's weird watching a 'soft' Everton team, need a little grit and fire. 

8 hours ago, johnh said:

Gordon Banks has died. RIP.   I played golf with him at the Belfry some years ago.  A lovely man and the best goalkeeper England ever had.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47215837

Praise doesn't come much higher.

What would he be worth today John? Priceless. I only ever saw him play live once and I was eight at the time (England 5-0 France) so no real memories to call upon but the highest praise I can give is that he was probably very nearly as good as Southall:).