IGNORED

Rodwell to be called up for Senior England squad

FairWooney

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, based on form, Baines shouldn't be anywhere near this squad.

Correct.

It's great to see Everton lads get noticed, but it's so topsy turvy. When they are at the top of their game, they get overlooked in favour of regular 'brand name' players, yet play like a frog glued to an ironing board and it's instant call up.

I think fans should be able to vote the England team.

That's not really viable though is it? I mean, you'd have some morons just voting for players of their clubs even if they're absolute garbage.

What about a shortlist then? Shortlist made up of viable candidates etc? Then you chose a squad list from the original list, stop absolute shitters getting in every time!

How on earth can Glen Johnson be in the squad, and Micah Richards, who has been superb, overlooked?

Also how can Jags get in ahead of the Newcastle lads?

This type of bullshit selection really pisses me off.

completely agree and with the Baines statement too. Dunno about the shortlist idea though, how do you control voters using multiple accounts to vote for the same player, how to restrict to the English only..... Far too complicated and dangerous in terms of politically correctness...

How on earth can Glen Johnson be in the squad, and Micah Richards, who has been superb, overlooked?

Also how can Jags get in ahead of the Newcastle lads?

This type of bullshit selection really pisses me off.

Have to say Avin i will agree with you on that, how the hell Johnson gets in any squad is beyond me, and ahead of Richards beggers belief, Micah Richards has had an awesome start to the season, and Jags should not be anywhere near our team at the moment let alone the England team

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/11/07/SOCCER_England_Rodwell.html&BID=165

Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell's first call-up to the senior England squad is reward for his fantastic form this season, according to team-mate Phil Jagielka.

The 20-year-old has been selected by Fabio Capello to be in the party for the forthcoming friendlies against Spain and Sweden.

Rodwell has represented his country through a number of age groups and has been a regular for the under-21s for some time.

Jagielka, whom Rodwell will join along with Toffees left-back Leighton Baines in the national set-up, said the midfielder has made a noticeable improvement this season with a number of consistent performances that have earned him promotion to the senior squad.

He felt that was in part due to the transfer deadline day sale of Mikel Arteta to Arsenal in August, which provided an opening for the youngster to earn a regular place.

"We have said with Mikel leaving and us being short of numbers in the middle it was time for Jack to step up and he has been fantastic since he has done so," Jagielka told evertontv.

"He was unfortunate with the red card against Liverpool but other than that he has been up there with our players of the season so far."

According to todays Sun Capello is set to name an injured Jagielka in his side on Saturday.

That pisses me off, he needs rest and it isnt like he would be first choice. England is blessed with many talented Centre backs at present who are also in better form than Jags at present.

You can't really argue with Capello asking him to play tbh, we've been asking him to play after injections as well.

You can't really argue with Capello asking him to play tbh, we've been asking him to play after injections as well.

We pay his wages though and don't have an abundance of players in his position. There are plenty of players Capello could play instead. Smalling, Jones, Shawcross, Cahill, Lescott to name but a few

Yes you can, these meaningless friendlies are bad enough, i don't even like our fully fit players being selected.

We pay his wages though and don't have an abundance of players in his position. There are plenty of players Capello could play instead. Smalling, Jones, Shawcross, Cahill, Lescott to name but a few

If we hadn't been asking him to do the same thing then I'd be annoyed, but we have been asking him to have injections to play. And he's been shite (probably because of this) so I think it's been a bit of a silly move.

But if Jags gets injured our best current CB (distin) will have to play with our other best CB (Heitinga) and Jags won't be around to play whilst slightly injured. Thus resolving the issue we've all been having with his selection from the 2nd or 3rd game!

J, don't be silly now, Heitinga made a mistake (trying to stop a goal, and probably wasn't helped by Howard not calling for it) so we won't see him at CB again. Whereas, Jags was allowed mistake after mistake without getting the chop. He's even survived the chop despite having a broken toe!

I thought Jack did well when he came on a didnt look out of place. He doesnt quite seem to appreciate space (as in when we have possession, rather than make him self available he tends to drift toward an opposition player!?) but he got some good touches and made some good breaks.

On a side note I thought Jagielka was superb.

I thought Jack did well when he came on a didnt look out of place. He doesnt quite seem to appreciate space (as in when we have possession, rather than make him self available he tends to drift toward an opposition player!?) but he got some good touches and made some good breaks.

On a side note I thought Jagielka was superb.

He's not used to playing in a team that keeps hold of the ball for longer than 3 secs