IGNORED

England

Brian McNulty...

LEIGHTON BAINES (LEFT-BACK) - 9

_70438594_star-9.jpg

Outstanding again - especially in the first half when he created Wayne Rooney's goal. Can Roy Hodgson really justify recalling Ashley Cole? Man of the match.

Mirror....

Mirror Pick

Leighton Baines

Was absolutely magnificent. He was England’s most dangerous outlet from left back, providing the cross for Rooney’s opener. Making an overwhelming case to be No1 left-back.

London Standard....

Leighton Baines 8

Provided great width again on the left flank and was a constant threat to the Polish defence. Supplied a tremendous cross for Rooney to open the scoring just before half-time and certainly put forward a strong case to replace Ashley Cole as the first choice left back from now on.

Might have been a different story if Levandowski had put away that early chance. I am glad England are going to the WC finals though. Seems to me it's all were are shit ,we are shit we are shit until Engerland qualify and then it's all were are brill, we are brill we are brill until they go out. Try looking upon yourselves as plucky underdogs this time around. it might take you further and soften the disappointment.

Kudos to Scotland, Wales, NI and the ROI last night btw.

Edited by weebittight

Baines is by far the better player going forward, I do think Cole has the edge as a defender though. overall if there was a world class player like ronaldo, ribery or robben on the right then Cole. all other options and it's Baines for me.

Not much between them now I feel. Baines puts in some tremendous blocks inside the box. I remember one from the away game at Newcastle a couple of seasons ago < a 2-1 win I think>. I recall saying to myself "Self, How did he get to that?" Tough choice for the manger. Cole probably will get the nod.

Edited by weebittight

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all the comments that Baines is better than Cole now, I never rated Cole as highly as most in his prime anyway. I don't think he's been 'the best left back in the world' a day in his life, and his best performances against Ronaldo all came before Ronaldo developed into the player he's become post 2006. He's been average at best defensively for a few years, and he offers nothing going forward. One game which stands out is France at the Euros - his performance that day was amateurish. Debuchy was getting behind him time and again, Cole was awful. When even a one-dimensional pace merchant like Antonio Valencia is giving you the run around every time you meet then you know you have problems.

Typically overrated player from the mythical 'golden generation'. It's no shock that England's football has looked a bit better since the likes of Beckham, Terry, Carragher, Owen etc have been shunted out of the team and Lampard has had less time (some of the biggest hype-believing prima donnas ever). Now they just have to cut down on Gerrard's constant Hollywood balls.

They've got as much chance of winning the World Cup as I do of having a threesome in the Ritz with Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson, but then I say that for every tournament. Agree with the post above - if the idiots in the media stop hyping them up then perhaps the shackles will come off a bit in Brazil. They'll still only get to the quarters at best but they might actually play some decent football as compared to the shite they served up in the Euros and the last two World Cups.

Edited by Nikica