IGNORED

England

Right not quite sure what's relevant about that article

That team was leagues apart in terms of watching them from the team now. More entertaining by far.

The relevance is that we've always been disappointed and we've always under achieved. There was zero entertainment from England in that tournament....as there has been ultimately in every tournament we've played in since 1966. Odd games we're decent and you get your hopes up but the end result is always dismal failure.

Guest blueboy122

The relevance is that we've always been disappointed and we've always under achieved. There was zero entertainment from England in that tournament....as there has been ultimately in every tournament we've played in since 1966. Odd games we're decent and you get your hopes up but the end result is always dismal failure.

Absolutely but that team was still a lot more entertaining than the current team

I agree with MikeO, not much more entertaining before. There have been very few flair players since the 70s. Waddle, Gazza aside. Sides been full of Platts, Hoddles and Milners. Liniker himself had one talent and one talent only. Being in the right place at the right time to put the ball away. Good players, some really greats but no CR7s, Ibras etc.

Ukraine away is no easy match though and a draw is a step towards Rio.

Quality bollocks from Robbie Savage again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24051768

"England fans are deluded..."
"Hodgson gets it spot on majority of games...."
"...tactically very good..."
But this is the best bit...
"...sometimes they've (England fans) got to realise that they're no Spain, Brazil, Argentina....they're not that good. Individually yes, collectively no."

So what he's saying is that individually we're as good as Spain, Brazil and Argentina, and that the manager gets it spot on and is tactically very good, but somehow we're collectively crap :dont know:.
So with a great manager and great players the fans should expect a shite team? The mans's a fucking idiot.

The sad thing is that it actually looked to me as though Ukraine wanted to win the game whereas we were hoping to nick a point.

I can understand going to Ukraine and being beaten but I cant understand going to Ukraine and not giving it a go. We dont have the players we used to but we are a damn sight better than that.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the way he wanted to bring Rodgers in as his number 2 so England would play Rodgers' way. Erm, would that be because Redknapp doesn't have a clue and just sends his teams out to play? What team plays the way the number 2 wants them to?! They may as well have just hired Rodgers ffs.

Why is it that England has the strongest league in the world and yet has an abysmal national team? I wonder what difference it would make if as many English players played in other countries as players from overseas play in the EPL. It means we don't understand the style of play of other national teams as well as our opponents understand us. What if 50% of England's team played for clubs overseas - instead of zero of them?

Why is it that England has the strongest league in the world and yet has an abysmal national team? I wonder what difference it would make if as many English players played in other countries as players from overseas play in the EPL. It means we don't understand the style of play of other national teams as well as our opponents understand us. What if 50% of England's team played for clubs overseas - instead of zero of them?

because its full of bloody foreigners ruining the game :shaking fist:

Edited by Matt

Because they pick media players who have referees bending over backwards not to show them up eg. Terry, Gerrard. Worse so the kids who play for media teams and get picked regardless of talented players else where.

Mark Noble not capped, but the likes of Cleverley, Henderson, and Shelvey get a nice head warmer. Zaha moves to Utd, gets capped instantly, OAC who barely got cameos for Arsenal gets called up although players like Dyer and Routledge were playing out their skin and still got overlooked.

Because they pick media players who have referees bending over backwards not to show them up eg. Terry, Gerrard. Worse so the kids who play for media teams and get picked regardless of talented players else where.

Mark Noble not capped, but the likes of Cleverley, Henderson, and Shelvey get a nice head warmer. Zaha moves to Utd, gets capped instantly, OAC who barely got cameos for Arsenal gets called up although players like Dyer and Routledge were playing out their skin and still got overlooked.

Always wonder why England never calls up Dyer.

Although he actually never says what the headline suggests.

true, but you can see where they got the title from, cant you? Surely Jags should be saying something along the lines of "its a shame for Cole, whos been a good player for England over the years. But it means Leighton gets his chance to prove himself again and make the England LB position his own, and I cant wait to see what he can do".

The telegraph give a similar dialogue:-

“It is a difficult one because I think Ashley has performed to levels that he does not deserve to lose his place and Bainesy is one of my closest friends.

"He has been fantastic for us at Everton, player of the year for the

“Do you get a place in the team and keep it until you deserve to lose it? Or do you get a place in the team and lose it because you have done nothing wrong but someone else is potentially liked more by the press or coaching staff?

"Bainesy takes our free kicks and penalties anlast few seasons, but unfortunately for him, the person he has tried to nudge out of the way has also performed very well, particularly in an England shirt. It is hard to say that directly to Bainesy, but he has had to be a little bit patient.d it was widely publicised he was one of the leading chance makers in the three divisions. Maybe we rely more on Bainesy to create chances than what Chelsea would with Ash.”

In all seriousness based on his club performances and being selected for his national side Jags needs to be a little more neutral on this and state "we are fortunate to have 2 world class players in the left back position, an injury is an oppportunity for the other to stake a claim" along those lines.

For me the two players have different attributes, against a world class winger I would have Cole. Against any team without such attacking threat I would play with Baines for his crossing, running on, and free kicks.

Just read a quote from David Moyes on this: "Leighton is the best LB in Europe, but he'll only make the England team when he plays for a top team. The FA are simply not interested in players who don't show the ambition needed to succeed in international soccer. As long as Leighton chooses to play for a mid-table team, he cannot expect to be a first choice England player in Rio next year."

:fishing: