IGNORED

England

Jones is out of the squad to play Germany.

Germany must be breathing a huge sigh of relief that the new Baresi/Edwards/Beckenbauer/Scirea/Maldini has been ruled out :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, last night was no real surprise for England. Chile are just a better team than them, as are the other CONMEBOL qualifiers (with the possible exception of Ecuador). Chile are exactly the type of technical pressing team who England's players struggle against. As I said the other day though I'd still take them in the group if I were you. As Matt correctly said, England need to be hammered in every game in a tournament before English football wakes up. There's also the chance of fluking your way out of a tough group anyway.

I had to laugh at the comments that England 'weren't playing their strongest team' and that it was Chile's best team. The best player from both countries - Vidal - was injured. As for England, who exactly was gonna stop the Chileans last night? Welbeck? Mr Hollywood Pass? I'm also liking comments from ignorant Brits about it being 'only Chile'.

I know I'm a Scot slagging England but by the looks of it you lot rate them even lower than I do :happy: Other than Euro 2004 and France 98 England's football has been rubbish for fifteen years now, at least.

"Baines was shite and, lets be honest, he usually is for England. He's shown for us that he should be England's LB but he's never done enough for England to prove it. If I was England manager I'd completely disregard Cole and Baines as number one LB and look to the future, because neither one of those are it."

They should start blooding Shaw asap. He looks like one of those rare England players who might live up to the hype.

Edited by Nikica

Shaw was who I had in mind. Cole is done and Baines is 29 so I really would be throwing Shaw in now.

If Baines was playing for England like he does for us then I'd be wanting Shaw in to deputise for him. But, like I said, he doesn't show his club firm for England.

True.

On second thoughts a guy as young as Shaw going straight into the first team may do him more harm than good. Most nations let their players get tournament experience at U21 level etc. But as you say Baines hasn't performed and Cole is in decline, so there don't appear to be a lot of options.

Gibbs? Nowhere near as talented as Shaw but good enough to do a job while Shaw continues his developmen and gains the requisite experience.

Baines has been England's best player in a couple of the games he has played recently so I think its a bit soon to be writing him off! Its not saying particularly much given some of the performances but to now say he is not good enough is jumping the gun a bit to say the least.

Baines/Cole are sitll more than good enough to represent England at the World Cup and the last thing we should be doing is pushing players up from the U21's who are still wet behind the ears. Shaw will be a top LB for years to come but lets give him time to develop as a player and give him international experience at the right level. The same goes for Barkley as its completely pointless having sit on the bench for the seniors when he could playing 90mins with the U21's.

Germans B team totally schooled us in how to play football at times tonight. The way they moved the ball, trusted players in tight spaces who then laid the ball off to someone in the clear was excellent. Bar a small period in the 2nd half we offered no threat.

I really dont see the appeal of playing Rooney in the hole because he isnt good enough at it. Lallana and Townsend did their job and Jags & Smalling worked quite nicely too.

Walker, Sturridge and Cleverly wouldnt have looked out of place in a pub team tonight.

Btw dont worry I have tweeted Ross to get his arse in gear and get some shots off. I will be taking the credit if he smashes one in from the edge of the area on Sat!

special shout out to Lallana, he looked very impressive and made much more of an impact than Welbeck. Hart and Jags both played very well too. Id like to see the following in our next friendly.

..................Hart................

Walker Cahill Jags Baines

........Gerrard Wilshere......

Townsend Barkley Lallana

...............Rooney..............

I know Wilshere looked crap when he came on, the only other person Id like there is Barry, but he wont get a call up. Id also be tempted to put Defoe in as striker. Either way, we need a midfield that can connect with the striker, and Rooney as the AMC just doesnt work.

Edited by Matt

special shout out to Lallana, he looked very impressive and made much more of an impact than Welbeck. Hart and Jags both played very well too. Id like to see the following in our next friendly.

..................Hart................

Walker Cahill Jags Baines

........Gerrard Wilshere......

Townsend Barkley Lallana

...............Rooney..............

I know Wilshere looked crap when he came on, the only other person Id like there is Barry, but he wont get a call up. Id also be tempted to put Defoe in as striker. Either way, we need a midfield that can connect with the striker, and Rooney as the AMC just doesnt work.

I wouldnt say Lallana was overly impressive but he was by far the best of a bad bunch (over both games) and he should now be looking to start games. I wouldnt disagree with that team too much tbh, although Im not sure Barkley is ready for that type of role yet and we may be better off having Carrick in there allowing Wilshere further forward or bringing Lallana off the wing when Chamberlain is back in the side.

Set pieces aside, I thought Smalling had a good game and where I am not really a massive fan of Cahill I would certainly give the Utd man a chance. Its a shame he didnt play there against Chile because I think we would have learnt a lot about him in that game.