IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Yeah, well done to Atletico last night, they're proving how good they are, but of course they have to maintain this form over the season to show that those of us who rate them very highly are not being foolish in doing so. I think they will as they were great last season too, but we will see how things pan out.

About the Man City mistake yesterday, I don't wanna get on Hart's back as he's been making mistakes for ages and there's enough pitchforks out for him, but for me that is 100% his error, based on my belief that even if Nas panics, said panic is induced because of Hart's decision to come out of his goal. I wouldn't blame Nastasic for it really - couldn't believe it when I saw Hart rushing out of his goal. First, Hart has no need to come - Nastasic has some space between he and Torres and it's a simple nod back to Hart, Nas can generate the power for that no problem even if Hart stays on his 6 yard line. Second, even if Hart did give Nas an early shout, it's still Joe's fault because he's put his CB in a tough position - as said if he doesn't come Nas doesn't have to make that decision - he probably panics in the first place because Hart comes for it. Joe should trust his CB - he was the root cause of that yesterday for me. He probably did shout seeing as the header seems to be going by the post i.e. Nas hears the shout too late, panics and tries to generate the power to get the ball out for a corner as he knows Joe is all over the place. The problem is he couldn't generate the power to get it over the line, whereas he could generate the power to get it back to Hart if Hart was 6-8 yards out (as seen by the fact that Torres doesn't reach the ball until it's almost at the by-line).

Overall, for me Joe causes the problem. I suppose Nas can deal with it better, but it's asking a lot in that split-second for him to calculate all the variables and do the right thing. Hart charging out like that causes the issue for me. I was disappointed as I dislike Chelsea and would prefer them not to win the league, plus the fact that I thought City were the better team in the second half and well worth a point.

Torres and Aguero were both fantastic. No surprise on the latter but Torres was stunningly good after his awful miss. He's had promising performances before though and failed to continue in the same manner, so I'd be wary of thinking he will maintain that level, or even close to it.

"both at fault for me...the centre half is looking directly at hart when he heads it..in that case surely he has to head it to the side rather than 10 inches to the side of the post? hart shouldn't have been there no but there was plenty of time for the defender to decide not to head it there"

That's a fair point, I think it just happened so fast - it seems like Nas doesn't hear or see Hart until too late. There would be no issue for me had Hart not put Nas in trouble. Nas could probably have dealt with it better but if his goalkeeper doesn't come charging out then there's no problem.

Edited by Nikica

I think the bottom line is that Hart can see everything in front of him whereas Nastasic has his eyes on the ball. Even if Hart did call for it, he had timed his clearance all wrong because he was shaping to volley it yet the ball was at the top of its flight.

I like Joe Hart generally and its a shame that these errors keep popping up. Unfortunately he is another in the long list of Englishmen that simply arent quite good enough at the highest level.

Regards the Atletico/European Leagues debate, you only have to look at how Premier League teams have fared against these types of European teams in the CL over the last couple of seasons. I dont watch much European football outside of the Champions League but the they are generally far more organised, far better tactically and a lot of the players seem far more rounded than their English counterparts. I would agree that some European players would struggle over here given the physicality of the game and the way most teams play (ie it the teams style of play wont necessarily suit the individuals way of playing), but if you took English players abroad and put them into half decent European sides I think they would stand out like a sore thumb!

I think the bottom line is that Hart can see everything in front of him whereas Nastasic has his eyes on the ball. Even if Hart did call for it, he had timed his clearance all wrong because he was shaping to volley it yet the ball was at the top of its flight.

I like Joe Hart generally and its a shame that these errors keep popping up. Unfortunately he is another in the long list of Englishmen that simply arent quite good enough at the highest level.

Regards the Atletico/European Leagues debate, you only have to look at how Premier League teams have fared against these types of European teams in the CL over the last couple of seasons. I dont watch much European football outside of the Champions League but the they are generally far more organised, far better tactically and a lot of the players seem far more rounded than their English counterparts. I would agree that some European players would struggle over here given the physicality of the game and the way most teams play (ie it the teams style of play wont necessarily suit the individuals way of playing), but if you took English players abroad and put them into half decent European sides I think they would stand out like a sore thumb!

Great post.

Really am going offline now, but talk to you all soon.

Watch the video below and feel for Oliver Baumann as he makes not only one, not two, but three blunders in the same game to cost his side against Hamburger SV. The first two are pure comedy gold whilst the third is quite obviously down to his shattered confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrKV0Dno-68

As a goalkeeper I really feel for him but that doesn't take away the fact that it's hilarious.

Comedy gold? Shattered confidence? I'd be surprised if no one investigates him for match fixing!

Feel sorry for him because the second and third goal was clearly because of his confidence being on the floor. I watch Bundesliga though and Baumenn is actually a top keeper, he just crashed and burned at the weekend.

Yeah, he's a decent keeper but those mistakes are very poor.

Scottish ancestry more than likely :P.

You lot have had spunky Seaman being lobbed by everyone from Nayim to Ronnie (although he was generally a quality goalkeeper), Carson against Croatia, Green in South Africa and Joe Hart's recent string of silliness. Don't be tempted to throw the stones in that glass house :P

In saying that, I can't deny that you're correct - Scottish goalkeepers have generally been woeful over the years. But we've had some great 'keepers too e.g. Simpson, Goram, and now McGregor.

Real Madrid scored a lot of goals tonight, fair play to them. Sevilla looked like they could have scored with every attack too though. RM will score goals galore in open affairs like this, but it's against bus parkers in the CL where they're likely to be found out. Still think they'll win nothing this season.

Joe Hart dropped by City for tomorrow's game,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24778956

It's the correct decision. They'll probably bring in Casillas in one of the next two transfer windows, and who could blame them? Saying that he has been making mistakes himself over the last few years.

De Gea is absolutely miles better than Hart these days, by the way.

Joe Hart dropped by City for tomorrow's game,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24778956

I agree with Ray Clemence: This is a risky and potentially stupid thing to do. In previous cases where managers did this to top-class goalies, they never recovered their confidence. Norwich would be an excellent game for Joe Hart to go out there and show what he can do.