IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

Exactly what I said, then they will deduct another 6 along with Forest so I originally thought, but now I’m not so sure I have feeling that they will find the original penalty should stand. 

I agree. The longer it goes on, the more likely a stitch up is on the cards. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s widely acknowledged that if you want to bury news you release it late on a Friday so fully expecting that to happen, either this week or next

I think all eyes are on the PL at the moment, so this isn't going to get buried. I do think it will be after the Palace game, though - for obvious reasons. 

From The Athletic today

Listen closely and you might just be able to hear the sound of a can being kicked down the road again.

It is five months since 777 Partners agreed a takeover deal for Everton and still we await clarity on whether their bid will gain approval. In a statement announcing the agreement in September, the club said that they expected closure before the end of 2023, with a guideline of 12 weeks cited.

We are now in week 22 and there is still no word. Meanwhile, Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s deal to purchase 25 per cent of Manchester United, agreed just before Christmas, has already been given the go-ahead.

Those close to the process on all sides are quick to point out that these are two vastly different deals. One is for a smaller shareholding and involves a well-known businessman; the other concerns the takeover of a whole club by what some would argue is a relatively opaque American group – one that has had its fair share of negative publicity at that.

While there may be disagreement on the above categorisation of 777 and its affiliates, nobody – certainly not Evertonor those working on behalf of the Miami-based organisation – disputes that basic difference when it comes to the two cases.

But patience is, nevertheless, wearing thin – and has been for some time.

777 gained approval from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in December, while assent from the Football Association has long been considered a formality. All that remains for the group is to pass the league’s recently beefed up owners’ and directors’ test (OADT), ran by lawyer Peter McCormick — a final, but considerable, hurdle.

Since FCA sign-off before Christmas, though, there has been little evidence of progress.

Initial soundings from 777 suggested they expected a takeover to be wrapped up by mid-January. When that did not happen, focus shifted again to the end of January. Pressed on Everton’s situation by the Culture, Media and Sport select committee in Westminster last month, Premier League CEO Richard Masters said the 777 approvals process would be a matter of “weeks, hopefully”.

“Unfortunately, some processes take a matter of weeks; some, if we haven’t had satisfactory answers to the questions we have asked, it takes a lot longer,” he added.

Now the feeling — perhaps, hope — is that clarity is likely to come before the month is out.

It is already long overdue.

With the takeover ongoing, monthly losses to cover, a costly stadium project to fund and Farhad Moshiri no longer footing the bill, Everton have been left on life support. Loans from 777, supplied as junior debt with the intention of being turned to equity on completion of the takeover, will soon total £190million. The money is for working capital to meet everyday needs, and new stadium bills.

The longer this drags out, the higher the bill will be. There is risk for 777, too, as it would be behind other creditors in the queue should their deal not gain approval.

It is becoming increasingly hard for anyone involved to understand the league’s delay in making a decision. There has also been confusion over the process and how it works.

More prevarication only makes the situation worse and there was frustration when the league appeared to shut down for around two weeks over Christmas, leading to a further, unwanted delay.

777 maintains that the relevant paperwork was submitted before Christmas, but there has been something of an infrequent back and forth since, with the league occasionally asking them for clarity and responses duly provided.

Those queries are understood to centre on the nature of its business and how it makes money, with the OADT also assessing 777’s three-year plan for the club. 777 is yet to be summoned to officials, usually one of the final steps before a decision is made but is expecting more clarity on timelines in the next week.

Following a swift OADT, the Premier League’s board approved Manchester United’s investment last week. As will happen with Everton’s case, it was then up to an independent oversight panel to review the decision. That part of the process took less than a week for Ratcliffe, but has raised eyebrows elsewhere.

There is a suspicion that with the league strained elsewhere (PSR cases, anyone?) and increasingly under the microscope, officials have been keen to show they have done due diligence and will not allow situations like the one that saw Portsmouth enter into administration in 2010.

They would point out, no doubt, that this is an early challenge for the new OADT and that the 12-week guideline could only ever be a loose estimate. Takeovers are judged on a case-by-case basis, with the Newcastle process taking around 18 months in total.

Perhaps part of their reticence is the fact that 777 has been the subject of sustained negative publicity. There have been stories about other clubs in their stable being late on payments to players and peers, temporary transfer bans and a series of high-profile lawsuits filed against them in the US. These are understandable concerns.

On the flip side, some at Everton point to 777’s commitment to keeping the club afloat while the process runs its course. It has honoured promises over funds and provided money when it is needed.

In truth, the more pressing issue is less about whether 777 should be approved and more about the need for a speedy resolution whichever way it goes.

Fans and club staff deserve answers, particularly those whose livelihoods are tied to Everton’s fortunes. The January transfer window, which could have been an opportunity either to strengthen post-takeover or bring in funds in the event of 777 being rejected, has already come and gone.

The delay risks a situation where Everton are up the creek without a paddle.

Yes, the upcoming PSR appeal verdict is important for Everton. But this is arguably even more vital when it comes to the club’s long-term future.

It’s time for answers, Mr Masters.

2 hours ago, Formby said:

I think all eyes are on the PL at the moment, so this isn't going to get buried. I do think it will be after the Palace game, though - for obvious reasons. 

Indeed but if they are scared of a backlash the same applies, issue the news Friday evening when it’s too late for the Friday papered and by the weekend all the actual sports reports will be occupying the back pages and by Monday it will be old news 

9 minutes ago, Formby said:

Is it just being badly run, though?

To me, it's an agenda.

I agree there is an agenda, but I don't hold with any conspiracy theories that they don’t like us so that’s why we are where we are. 
I think there agenda is too try and prove that they are in control of their own house and don’t require intervention from the government, so in doing so they have gone over board with the points deduction, even though they will say the points deduction was handed out by an independent commission, they did advise that commission to deduct 6 points for the crime and 1 point for every 5 million over, so low and behold we get a 10 point deduction, even though the so called independent commission said they ignored that advice from the PL, really? 

39 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Indeed but if they are scared of a backlash the same applies, issue the news Friday evening when it’s too late for the Friday papered and by the weekend all the actual sports reports will be occupying the back pages and by Monday it will be old news 

If only there were websites that could report news instantly, they'd be in big trouble then.

3 hours ago, Formby said:

Is it just being badly run, though?

To me, it's an agenda.

An agenda against us? No. I've never believed that as I can't see why it would be us specifically.

So, yeah, for me badly run. They've brought out a bunch of rules without actually having any rules in place. Headless chickens.

Not sure how Masters is still in a job.

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

An agenda against us? No. I've never believed that as I can't see why it would be us specifically.

So, yeah, for me badly run. They've brought out a bunch of rules without actually having any rules in place. Headless chickens.

Not sure how Masters is still in a job.

I don't think it's an agenda against us because we're Everton per se (although it often seems that way), but I do think it's an agenda to stick a punishment on us because we don't have the clout to fight back. A historically significant club fallen on hard times, bereft of a board, struggling on the pitch - let's demonstrate how tough we are by clobbering them. Maybe the others will sit up and take note. 

The PL would not be doing this with either of the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. 

2 minutes ago, Formby said:

I don't think it's an agenda against us because we're Everton per se (although it often seems that way), but I do think it's an agenda to stick a punishment on us because we don't have the clout to fight back. A historically significant club fallen on hard times, bereft of a board, struggling on the pitch - let's demonstrate how tough we are by clobbering them. Maybe the others will sit up and take note. 

The PL would not be doing this with either of the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. 

....because they've been better run 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Formby said:

...although I do kinda get where you're coming from.

Those clubs would have been more 'defensive' and smart I guess.

Whereas we tried to be the nice club willing to get out belly tickled in hope.

29 minutes ago, Formby said:

I’m convinced there is an agenda for precisely the reasons you have just stated, we are big enough to make an example of but not big enough to damage the brand if they kick us out

👀Just had this email, can’t even remember the last time I actually sat in my seat !

As we approach the final seven home games of the 2023/24 season, I wanted to take this opportunity to write to you as a Season Ticket Member in the Howard Kendall Lower Gwladys Street with some important safety information.

The content of this email is not aimed at dampening the passion or fervour of the matchday atmosphere. In fact, we actively encourage fans to show their passion for the team, as that support plays a vital role in the matchday experience and the connection between the crowd and our players on the pitch.

I should also stress that, in sending this letter to highlight certain regulated issues, I appreciate they may not apply to you directly. However, your understanding of this important information is valued.

Following recent inspections by Liverpool City Council licensing officers and The Sports Ground Safety Authority - the body responsible for the issuing of licences to sports grounds for all football matches played in England and Wales - the issue of 'persistent standing' in the Lower Gwladys Street stand has been formally highlighted to the football club.

As a condition of our license, the Club must be rigorous in upholding the all-seater conditions of the Football Spectators Act 1989, the purpose of which is "to provide for the safety of spectators". In addition to this, some of our supporters in these areas have complained to the Club because they simply cannot stand for long periods due to age and/or health problems – or because they are unable to see if they are located at the back of the stand.

We fully understand that, at times of increased excitement, supporters will stand. However, we urge all supporters to continue to be considerate in their actions. The potential exists for the licensing authorities to reduce the capacity in the Lower Gwladys Street stand should the situation not improve. Similar action has previously been taken in the away section at Goodison Park, where capacity reductions have been imposed for certain opposition teams.

As a Club, we are legally compelled to work with the authorities to identify any individuals who take part in persistent standing. This also applies to the throwing of objects of any description on to the field of play.

Failure to comply with these regulations could lead to punishment for the Club or a partial closure of the stadium to supporters.

You may have seen our advice cards during the season. These cards were distributed as part of our responsibility to ensure we are compliant with our license. The Club appreciates the understanding and positive feedback we have received, and many supporters have been more appreciative and considerate of others. However, it is also evident that many fans have not responded to our efforts to improve matters. The last thing we want is a capacity reduction for our final season at Goodison.

As we look forward to the move to Everton Stadium, I should advise that there will be a dedicated safe standing area in the lower section of the stadium’s south stand. Fans who wish to stand for long periods will be able to do so in this area of our new home. However, until we move, it is important that all supporters appreciate it is imperative we comply and adhere fully with the ground regulations.

I look forward to your understanding and co-operation during the remainder of the season and, as always, my team will be busy ensuring all supporters have the best possible matchday experience at Goodison Park.

Kind regards,

Dave Lewis
Head of Security and Stadium Safety

If we get no points back which is looking more likely to be the outcome, and the potential of another points deduction in April, then I fear we will be royally screwed, unless of course the team can find away of putting our chances in the back of the net. 

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

...by the way, which would also make me feel that they know more clubs are going to break PSR and couldn't possibly dock 'everyone' points.

I agree with that. Just proves that the 105 million is way too low, when you think how much the game has changed in terms of players fees and wages when that figure was set. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree with that. Just proves that the 105 million is way too low, when you think how much the game has changed in terms of players fees and wages when that figure was set. 

I think the fact the January transfer window was so shit shows its too low.

Too many clubs needing to play it safe.

I think it was said on here already, but the PL could quite possibly stiffle its own business with PSR.

Although, of course, it's much more complicated than that.

5 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Be fucking fuming...like everyone...if we get these points kept off, then more off in April...

Then they change the rules next year.

They surely aren't that fuckin incompetent?!!

When we got the points deduction I predicted they would change the rules and we would be the only club ever to be punished. I still think that will be the case, Forest depending. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

105 was probably reasonable 10 years ago but the market has escalated dramatically since then and the rules didn't adapt 

Any rules that have a specific financial implication should always have interest built in. Doesn’t make sense otherwise. 

The way more and more clubs have got close to this shows how outdated it is. 

If I was La Liga I’d be lowering regulation for spend with the goal of growing their league while the Prem is in a bit of a shambles. 

21 hours ago, Boston Toffee said:

I'm sure no one is surprised another week and still no decision on takeover or appeal.. one theory I heard is we are getting no points back but league were holding off announcing it now so there is not total chaos from fans at Goodison Monday and will announce next week

I'm not sure why anyone is acting like the appeal verdict is dragging on or something. The verdict is still within the timeframe given once the appeal was concluded.

The decision on the takeover taking this long is taking the piss though. It's clear that these are fucking charlatans and should have been sent packing a good while ago.

25 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not sure why anyone is acting like the appeal verdict is dragging on or something. The verdict is still within the timeframe given once the appeal was concluded.

The decision on the takeover taking this long is taking the piss though. It's clear that these are fucking charlatans and should have been sent packing a good while ago.

777 should have been fucked off ages ago and moshiri forced to find a buyer with better credentials who may not offer him full price.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

777 should have been fucked off ages ago and moshiri forced to find a buyer with better credentials who may not offer him full price.

I think the premier league are deliberately dragging this out 777 should have been dismissed months ago. 
I’m worried they will accept 777 just to plunge us into more Debt in the near future if there is any doubt they should be sent packing. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t know what the time frame was from the hearing and when they had to release their decision by, perhaps you could enlighten me, I tried to find out the time frame but without success.