IGNORED

Striker - affordable - scores goals - not too old. Name one.

You're just completely going to disregard that keepers in the Premier League will be bigger, have longer arms, better reflexes, etc. than keepers in the Championship? That you'll need more pace to run away from defenders covering you? That you'll need to be stronger to challenge them for the ball? That you'll need a better touch under pressure in order to simply not fuck up every attack in the build-up stage? That you won't be able to recover from a bad first touch and go on to score?

The Championship is a very strong league.

How exactly are Premier League keepers bigger, with longer arms and better reflexes? :lol:

In Japan, they have 4 arms. :happy:

japan_goalie_620x350.png

The Championship is a very strong league.

How exactly are Premier League keepers bigger, with longer arms and better reflexes? :lol:

In Japan, they have 4 arms. :happy:

Are you trying to wind me up? :D You think that if you can be a keeper in the Championship or in Division III, you can be a keeper in the Premier League too? Of course keepers in the Premier League are better, otherwise people wouldn't spend that much money on them and just sign whatever fatso is playing for the local pub team.

Are you trying to wind me up? :D You think that if you can be a keeper in the Championship or in Division III, you can be a keeper in the Premier League too? Of course keepers in the Premier League are better, otherwise people wouldn't spend that much money on them and just sign whatever fatso is playing for the local pub team.

Don't think there's any argument that premier league keepers are better and will generally have better reflexes....but it's a bit of a stretch to say they're bigger and have longer arms :huh:.

There is hope for me yet then :)

Don't think there's any argument that premier league keepers are better and will generally have better reflexes....but it's a bit of a stretch to say they're bigger and have longer arms :huh:.

That's part of what makes them better. Keepers at the highest level are getting increasingly taller (about 190 cm will probably be ideal right now) and while media never mention wingspan yet when discussing goalkeepers and video games don't include it in their player stats yet, I'm sure goalkeeper coaches and scouts do take it into account.

Edited by Steve_E

We signed Coleman from a lowly division in Ireland few had heard of. He is now one of the best attacking RB's in the Prem.

Players don't get born in the Premier League.

My point is that if you are a terrific player, it is irrelevant what league you play in. The guy with the talent is 'you'.

We signed Coleman from a lowly division in Ireland few had heard of. He is now one of the best attacking RB's in the Prem.

Players don't get born in the Premier League.

My point is that if you are a terrific player, it is irrelevant what league you play in. The guy with the talent is 'you'.

Sure, I agree with that, there's good players everywhere. I want players from bad leagues on the continent. You said you'd have "the guys in the Championship no problem" though, not every single player scoring goals in the Championship will do the same in the Premier League and we should be very carefully considering which player we want.

Sure, I agree with that, there's good players everywhere. I want players from bad leagues on the continent. You said you'd have "the guys in the Championship no problem" though, not every single player scoring goals in the Championship will do the same in the Premier League and we should be very carefully considering which player we want.

Signing players 'anywhere' is a risk.

Look at Torres for example.

I believe if you are a great goal scorer, you are a great goal scorer 'anywhere'. Scoring a goal is about you, the ball, and the net. I'd take the guys in the Championship no problem.

Signing players 'anywhere' is a risk.

Look at Torres for example.

It occurred to me you contradicted your own point with a pretty "striking" example.

How come most are lookin at the shitty dutch belgian type leagues?

Our own Championship beats most of these foreign leagues.

Jordan Rhodes for me. To score 30 odd goals for that pile of crap...worth a shot.

no dont agree might be the odd squad player apart from zaha wouldnt have taken any of them were not a bottom ten club now we need a better standard of footballing players and not hoofers.

Just watching a a game on ESPN and saw Obafemi Martins playing for Seattle Sounders in the MLS. Was very good at Inter and Newcastle. Still looks to have pace to burn and wouldn't cost much I reckon.

He was playing for Levante until the winter break (he played very well) but suddenly he asked for a transfer request because he wanted to earn more money in the MLS... Gold digger.

It occurred to me you contradicted your own point with a pretty "striking" example.

Not really.

My point is that you can be a great goal scorer in a lower division, and still score goals in a higher division, as the talent is in the individual. Knowing how to kick a ball, head a ball, finding great positions, and having good instinct doesn't go away just because you move upwards. What is the difference between shooting in the Championship, or shooting in the Prem? The opposition is irrelevant.

If you are a great goal scorer then that's what you are. Yes, you might get more chances in another division, and may score less in the Prem as chances are less, but that doesn't stop you from being a fantastic talent.

The point regarding Torres was that there is no guarantee that buying a 'big name' will give you goals any more than buying an unknown.

Players have purple patches when everything goes well, and bad patches too, but you can risk 5m or 40m making your decision.

Didn't someone mention Bent, although it's unlikely we could even bring him in, but I've always had respect for that player and he's a proven goalscorer. Zamora could be worth a mention, he's done quite well here and there, but not really a favorite player, as with Grant Holt, but both players could be worth an attempt and they've been amongst goals in recent seasons. Murray at Crystal Palace was top scorer this season, but with Eagles promotion, it's very unlikely they'll let their star player go, let alone to another EPL side. Even Kevin Phillips would have been worth a go, as he's always been a reliable scorer, despite the advancing years, but unfortunately he decided to retire after the recent play off game ? Just some names to include there.

Papiss Cissé could be for sale as he wont wear Newcastles new kit with their new sponsor Wonga. He is a muslim and the Sharia law states that you must not earn money by lending out money.

Press is specilating that Demba Ba is on his way out. Would be perfect at Everton.

Let me throw another name into the pot: Yordy Reyna, a 19-year-old who plays Alianza Lima and for the Peruvian national team. That team is interesting, because they are transitioning from older to younger players. Reyna appears to be a rising star with a passing style consistent with Martinez' approach. Maybe he needs a couple more years of experience, but one to watch.

Rhodes just scores goals, he doesn't have too much of an all round game, although I think he's better at linking up than others give him credit for - just we've got noone else half decent to link up to (whats point in holding ball up only to have just Jason Lowe to pass it to!).

But to have scored 27 goals in our utter shite team is no mean feat, quite a few of them he's set up him himself as well. If you create chances for him, he'll put them away. Simple!

The only thing is he's on big wages and I would hope we'd want to make some kind of profit on him, especially given that Balaji Rao (the fat one) paid for him out of his personal money. That said they'd probably take £8,000,001 right now and deem it to be a profit, such is their thickness!

http://youtu.be/S41-wf-a-zQ

Nicolas Castillo. 20 years old, Chilean, been capped by the national team already, and also been tipped for a move to Serie A or the Bundesliga. Seems Juventus and Stuttgart have tabled bids for him in January that got rejected. He'll probably cost £2.5-3m (the largest bid I could find was 2.2m euros. This kid just has an eye for goal and sniffs out crosses like nobody's business. Really exciting prospect, as far as I'm concerned.

Just seen that Newcastle are thinking about a 6mil move for Bent. I know this striker is not young but I would pay 5mil for him if you could get him for that price. Someone who is in the right place at the right time who will bang in 20 goals a season. 29 years old should be in his prime. With Mirallas, Pienaar, Coleman and Baines drilling in the crosses as well. The only problem would be his wages.

Edited by bluenosetoffee

I'd only be taking Bent on a loan at his age tbh. Despite the excellent attacking instincts he possesses, I do think he relies a fair bit on speed to lose his marker too. At 29 that part of his game might be gone. He also adds nothing to the team in terms of build up, so not really a Martinez signing either.