IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

The same Heitinga who won our player of the season, before last?

Thats the concern, how can someones standards drop so much, it wasn't like he was a fraction of his former self - he was a million miles away. He got outpaced so often and physically looked lacking. For someone who is on £60k a week plus this was poor. I don't think he sees himself at the club much longer and has made no secret that he is looking to move on, with one year left I think it's best to sell and get some money back.

Why couldn't we have signed Kolo Toure! He was dead good 5 years ago and he's Yaya's brother and maybe put a word in for us and all that.

This Alcaraz joker played for a team that got relegated and i've never heard of him on MOTD so for me he's gotta be rubbish. That Martinez fella hasn't got a clue, jobs for the boys an all that.

Welcome to Everton Alcaraz...

Why couldn't we have signed Kolo Toure! He was dead good 5 years ago and he's Yaya's brother and maybe put a word in for us and all that.

This Alcaraz joker played for a team that got relegated and i've never heard of him on MOTD so for me he's gotta be rubbish. That Martinez fella hasn't got a clue, jobs for the boys an all that.

Welcome to Everton Alcaraz...

I can't tell, sarcasm?

Is he actually any good? Does anyone know. Surely he's going to be a squad player.

I'm a bit concerned that we now definitely have to get rid of Heits and now Alcaraz is in the way of Duffy. Also, wasn't he injured for most of last season? I'd too like us to sign a non Wigan player, just for a bit of crediblity - my football loving colleagues are ragging the shit out me, they genuinely think that both signings so far are deeply worrying. I'd like to at least see a statement come from RM saying that he is looking at other players, or wants to add at least one more...

In any case, welcome to the club AA, I'll be rooting for you.

Or keep him for another season and replace him with Duffy next season when he has a full season of Championship experience. I don't think there'll be a lot of interest in him either, last window only Fenerbahce were interested and they refused to pay 3m. We're hardly gonna get anything for him even if we did find a buyer, I think.

Its hard to see why there wouldnt be interest in him but I thought the same about Yakubu. I think it will depend on how Martinez wants us to play. If he goes 3 at the back then we will need that extra defender but if we play 4-4-2 then I dont see why we couldn't start with two of Distin, Jags & Alcaraz and then put Duffy on a well placed loan with a recall clause. I just dont fancy paying big wages for a player that doesnt want to be here.

Is he actually any good? Does anyone know. Surely he's going to be a squad player.

I'm a bit concerned that we now definitely have to get rid of Heits and now Alcaraz is in the way of Duffy. Also, wasn't he injured for most of last season? I'd too like us to sign a non Wigan player, just for a bit of crediblity - my football loving colleagues are ragging the shit out me, they genuinely think that both signings so far are deeply worrying. I'd like to at least see a statement come from RM saying that he is looking at other players, or wants to add at least one more...

In any case, welcome to the club AA, I'll be rooting for you.

Yeh he is a good player and he fits in with Martinez' philosophy of being good on the ball, being able to read the game and also being pretty quick. I think he will be 3rd choice but it will depend on how Distin gets on because he isnt the greatest reader of the game or on the ball.

Its hard to see why there wouldnt be interest in him but I thought the same about Yakubu. I think it will depend on how Martinez wants us to play. If he goes 3 at the back then we will need that extra defender but if we play 4-4-2 then I dont see why we couldn't start with two of Distin, Jags & Alcaraz and then put Duffy on a well placed loan with a recall clause. I just dont fancy paying big wages for a player that doesnt want to be here.

Yeh he is a good player and he fits in with Martinez' philosophy of being good on the ball, being able to read the game and also being pretty quick. I think he will be 3rd choice but it will depend on how Distin gets on because he isnt the greatest reader of the game or on the ball.

Martinez would be mad to break up the back 4 imo, given the great defensive record of his Wigan teams and all that. I see us more 4-3-3

Edited by Simon

Martinez would be mad to break up the back 4 imo, given the great defensive record of his Wigan teams and all that. I see us more 4-3-3

He has to pick the players that fit the system though. Jags and Distin have never been the solidest partnership and whilst Distin has pace and power on his side, he is panicky on the ball and is more reactive than proactive (compared to other defenders at the top level). Jags isn't the greatest of passers either but he is a superior defender to Distin. I think it will be Jags & Distin to start but I wouldn't be surprised if Alcaraz plays a large chunk of the season.

Jags isn't the greatest of passers either but he is a superior defender to Distin. I think it will be Jags & Distin to start but I wouldn't be surprised if Alcaraz plays a large chunk of the season.

Jags is injury prone and Distin is getting on. I expect Alcaraz to always be on the bench and come on when either one of our main defenders are tired.

Jags is injury prone and Distin is getting on. I expect Alcaraz to always be on the bench and come on when either one of our main defenders are tired.

I dont think a CB should be getting tired if Im honest and I dont like idea of switching a settled defence mid game (providing they are doing well of course!).

I doubt we will see much of a performance dip from Distin tbh until he loses that half a yard of pace.

I dont think a CB should be getting tired if Im honest and I dont like idea of switching a settled defence mid game (providing they are doing well of course!).

I doubt we will see much of a performance dip from Distin tbh until he loses that half a yard of pace.

He'd probably still be our fastest defender even if he slows down quite a bit. I expect him to perform on a high level for another season then quit when his contract is up next summer when he'll be 36 and at an age to call it a career.

He'd probably still be our fastest defender even if he slows down quite a bit. I expect him to perform on a high level for another season then quit when his contract is up next summer when he'll be 36 and at an age to call it a career.

Something tells me he will be able to play quality professional football until he's 37-38 minimum, Saha said Distin was so fit that he wouldn't be surprised if he played until 40. How long will he be good enough for Everton? That's another story.

As happy as I was to see Heitinga sign for us, I think we need to get rid as quickly as we can now.

If 60k pw is right for wages, we're looking at saving in the region of £3m over the course of the year added to whatever we manage to get for him.

Shame it's not worked out really, as arguably one of the highest profile signings we've had since Kanchelskis.

The Wigan fans seem to love him.

Why was he released though if he was that good? Did he have a relegation release clause?

I've read that part of Wigan's strict financial set-up is that they don't offer contracts longer than three years, which is why they've lost a few notable players in recent seasons on free transfers because the player has run their contract down.

Edited by efc1111

Right now we're looking like we're going to have a good depth to our squad next season.

I mean, this squad has only two player's in it which we havn't signed (although linked with quite heavily; I'm sure we will sign at least one), but imagine this:

-------------Howard----------------
-----------------------------------
----Alcaraz---Jagielka---Distin----
--Coleman------------------Baines--
-------------Fellaini--------------
--Delfonso-----Honda------Mirallas-
----------------Kone---------------

Bench:

Robles/Heitinga/Duffy/Oviedo/Hibbert/Stones/Gibson/Pienaar/Osman/Barkley/Jelavic/Anichebe. (Purposly left Naismith out)

Also, consider Moses if Honda is not signed.

I know we might not keep hold of certain players. But if nobody walks out the doors at Goodison we are looking for serious contenders for Europe this upcoming season.

Edited by AidanLewis

Well at least it's another name through the door and another ex-Wigan Athletic player of all things, may well not be the last, but really, know very little about this player in question so was forced to look at his reference page. From all I could ascertain, seems like a worthwhile purchase, but as before, only time will tell. I look forward to seeing what Martinez can eventually put together for next season.

I'm just happy he signed Joel as our back-up keeper and not Mike Pollit.

Hahahahah, wonder what type of wages Pollit is on? I still would like to carry 3 experienced keepers assuming the third choice is on very very low wages. Better than Springthorpe.