IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

Heitinga had a bad season. It's too soon to write him off. Who knows, he may flourish under Roberto.

That said, I believe Duffy is ready to start making some appearances in the league and starting in the early cup games.

He also wants to leave so we should get rid as soon as possible while we can still get a fee for him

He also wants to leave so we should get rid as soon as possible while we can still get a fee for him

He only said that under the management of Moyes though didn't he? and tbh i don't blame him although i do think he doesn't help himself sometimes. Has he said it again since Martinez took over?

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/introducing-evertons-new-signings-antolin-alcaraz-joel-robles/

interesting insight in to the two latest signing. Positive reading from the executioner.

Martinez did say if he'd remained fit last season Wigan would have stayed up. Interesting how Wigans defensive stats stack up with him in the team and with him out of the team, they would back up Martinez statement. -

"...Wigan conceded 135 goals in 76 games over the past two years, with 49 during the 35 games with Alcaraz and 86 in the 41 without him, that’s 1.4 with him, and 2.0 without him, which is a fair difference. If you track the key games the Latics won in the last 2 years, the wins at Anfield, the Emirates, the win over Man Utd which kept them up last season and the key cup wins against us and City, Alcaraz has been an ever present with clean sheets in most of those games..."

That is a massive difference for just one player!

I dont expect him to break into the back four, but they are some solid stats.

I posted something a while back regarding Wigans win rates with/without etc. That along with scout reports, international match reports, wigan fan forum posts was how I came to the conclusion that he looks a good choice for us.

Solid indeed. Good signing me thinks.

Right now we're looking like we're going to have a good depth to our squad next season.

I mean, this squad has only two player's in it which we havn't signed (although linked with quite heavily; I'm sure we will sign at least one), but imagine this:

-------------Howard----------------

-----------------------------------

----Alcaraz---Jagielka---Distin----

--Coleman------------------Baines--

-------------Fellaini--------------

--Delfonso-----Honda------Mirallas-

----------------Kone---------------

Bench:

Robles/Heitinga/Duffy/Oviedo/Hibbert/Stones/Gibson/Pienaar/Osman/Barkley/Jelavic/Anichebe. (Purposly left Naismith out)

Also, consider Moses if Honda is not signed.

I know we might not keep hold of certain players. But if nobody walks out the doors at Goodison we are looking for serious contenders for Europe this upcoming season.

Do you mean FA Cup win + relegation?

I Bet man united are made up then, they'll be getting 6th or 7th each year and no cups with Moyes.

I did even think for a while they could even go back to how it was with Atkinson in the 1980s and fall away a bit but at least he managed two FA cup wins during his management. Say this though, they simply won't be as successful now Ferguson has vacated and what with Moyes often dull and tentative tactics you do wonder just how it will work out for them. I expect for arguments sake -

Manchester United / Moyes - 3rd or 4th place finish, at least one trophy. Even Moyes often asphyxiating tactics and mindset won't, with the players at their disposal, deny them at least one success somewhere or another.

Everton / Martinez - 6th - 8th place finish, optimistic of that elusive trophy in 19 overdue years to finally arrive

It's all if's and but's and maybe's at this stage in time but it sure will be interesting to see how the two respective names get on next season.

I did even think for a while they could even go back to how it was with Atkinson in the 1980s and fall away a bit but at least he managed two FA cup wins during his management. Say this though, they simply won't be as successful now Ferguson has vacated and what with Moyes often dull and tentative tactics you do wonder just how it will work out for them. I expect for arguments sake -

Manchester United / Moyes - 3rd or 4th place finish, at least one trophy. Even Moyes often asphyxiating tactics and mindset won't, with the players at their disposal, deny them at least one success somewhere or another.

Everton / Martinez - 6th - 8th place finish, optimistic of that elusive trophy in 19 overdue years to finally arrive

It's all if's and but's and maybe's at this stage in time but it sure will be interesting to see how the two respective names get on next season.

I was being facetious, just seems to me that some expect Martinez to take us down because Wigan did... Hence man united will now become outside top 4... If course it won't. That my point.

What I like about this transfer is that it brings some relief to a defensive team that, from what I understand, was stretched to the limit last season. With effective players on the bench, it's possible to rest some of the key players for a half or even for an occasional game. The season can be very demanding, and now the strain can be shared across more players. Personally, I like Alcaraz and think he brings a lot to the team. The stats quoted above (goals against when he is and is not playing) are very telling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Duffy gets a lifeline. He's back in the running.

Stones looks ahead of Duffy in the pecking order Bill, if i was Shane i would be looking to move on, he has been hanging round the sidelines long enough now and seems to play at international level, But neither the previous manager and so far the new one seem to fancy him in the team.

Edited by Simon

Stones looks ahead of Duffy in the pecking order Bill, if i was Shane i would be looking to move on, he has been hanging round the sidelines long enough now and seems to play at international level, But neither the previous manager and so far the new one seem to fancy him in the team.

He needs to get some games under his belt and I wouldnt write him off yet. The problem he has at the highest level under Martinez style is that he isnt very quick. I certainly think he has all the talent and he looks to be a decent passer and a decent reader of the game but I dont think his positioning is the best and he doesnt have the pace of Jags or Distin to help recover.

Get him on loan to either a decent Championship team who play football or possibly to a lower level Prem team (Palace maybe?) and then see how he does.

He needs to get some games under his belt and I wouldnt write him off yet. The problem he has at the highest level under Martinez style is that he isnt very quick. I certainly think he has all the talent and he looks to be a decent passer and a decent reader of the game but I dont think his positioning is the best and he doesnt have the pace of Jags or Distin to help recover.

Get him on loan to either a decent Championship team who play football or possibly to a lower level Prem team (Palace maybe?) and then see how he does.

Id be surprised if he is prepared to go on loan again

Half season loan with the option of a recall to a Championship side? I think that'd work.

That's exactly what I think would benefit him. Shame that Wigan seem to be set up for the new season because to go somewhere like that, where they're expected to be competing at the top of the table, would probably do him the world of good. I see to recall that Mick McCarthy was an admirer; wonder if Ipswich would be an option?

There will be plenty of takers for Duffy but I think Martinez will want him to go to a team that plays in the same manner and just doesn't hoof it up. Somewhere like Brighton? Alcaraz I think was always gonna be a back up and looks like Stones is gonna be a real player

Duffy should be at Everton, he deserves a long career here. He will get his chance soon, I for one think it will come this season. Jags and Distin wont last forever, Alcaraz injured and not the youngest of players and Heits is probably leaving soon. We can build a future on Stones and Duffy.