IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

• 2 months later...

I thought that Alcaraz had a good game today despite his being on the bench for so long. Distin doesn't get injured that much so I'd basically forgotten that Alcaraz was still around. Yes he trains with the squad so he should slot in whenever necessary but being sharp enough and up to match speed sometimes takes time. I thought he fitted in well today.

I thought that Alcaraz had a good game today despite his being on the bench for so long. Distin doesn't get injured that much so I'd basically forgotten that Alcaraz was still around. Yes he trains with the squad so he should slot in whenever necessary but being sharp enough and up to match speed sometimes takes time. I thought he fitted in well today.

Me too. He's a good player, and I get frustrated with all the jokes and bad-mouthing of him.

He's a bit of a player and I said he would be a smart signing. When fit and required he's been very good.

Effectively he is a swap for heitinga, a low maintenance player who knows he's a squad member. Gives a good presence in the air, comfortable on the ball.

Yeah all the nay sayers seemed to have him judged before he had played. Good player, and good business.

I can't believe some people on these sites. I think he is technically a good CB but font tell me yous have already forgotton about the performance against the shite at anfield. You guys are so fickle it's untrue. He Haf a good game yesterday, partly down to playing against players that had played 45 minutes prior and down to the fact that not one man utd player ran behind our back four. I tell you now if this would have happened you would be typing a different post today. He read the game well that's all but he's got a long way to go to justify his signing.

I can't believe some people on these sites. I think he is technically a good CB but font tell me yous have already forgotton about the performance against the shite at anfield. You guys are so fickle it's untrue. He Haf a good game yesterday, partly down to playing against players that had played 45 minutes prior and down to the fact that not one man utd player ran behind our back four. I tell you now if this would have happened you would be typing a different post today. He read the game well that's all but he's got a long way to go to justify his signing.

It's hardly fickle to say he had a good game when he did! How he played at Anfield is nothing to do with how he played yesterday, so why would that even come into the thinking when talking about how he performed against Manchester United?

It's the defenders job to make sure they never get a chance to run behind hence why they were caught out offside so many time due to good decision making , the rest of your post is just nonsense and irrelevant and there's no need for the mindless labeling......

I personally think he's a cracking player great at slowing the game down calm and very astute on the ball and if not for the injury problems in my eyes he'd have probably cemented himself in the starting eleven.

Edited by EFC-Paul

He had a poor game at Anfield, as did allot of our players, and like a few of our players he was not match fit, which contributed to the teams poor showing.

As a defender he is great at reading the game, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time, and always seems to have time, qualities that are very desirable. And as Martinez rates him and trusts him then so do I.

Also he cost us nothing as he was signed on a free.

Edited by London Blue

Long way to go to justify his signing??? What did you want, Wigan to pay us to have him? He cost nothing, is on 20k a week and is a decent centre half. He had to get rushed back in against Liverpool. Let's face it, it's not like their forward line haven't destroyed other defences. I seem to recall stones got a good old slating off you for that game, talk about fickle...

Edited by Hafnia

Long way to go to justify his signing??? What did you want, Wigan to pay us to have him? He cost nothing, is on 20k a week and is a decent centre half. He had to get rushed back in against Liverpool. Let's face it, it's not like their forward line haven't destroyed other defences. I seem to recall stones got a good old slating off you for that game, talk about fickle...

The differedifference being haf is stones had a bad game cause he played RB.don't know where he got that position from buy he always has and always will be a CB. Alcaraz played in his preferred position and was found wanting on every occasion. Don't get me wrong I don't think he's a bad player but I'm laughing at the amount of posts stating they prefer him and stones to distin and Jags. Leave it out will ya.

The differedifference being haf is stones had a bad game cause he played RB.don't know where he got that position from buy he always has and always will be a CB. Alcaraz played in his preferred position and was found wanting on every occasion. Don't get me wrong I don't think he's a bad player but I'm laughing at the amount of posts stating they prefer him and stones to distin and Jags. Leave it out will ya.

I don't think it's fair to judge him purely on the derby, when he was rushed back from injury. In the back-to-back games he played he looked class, as he did again yesterday.

He's a bit of a player and I said he would be a smart signing. When fit and required he's been very good.

Effectively he is a swap for heitinga, a low maintenance player who knows he's a squad member. Gives a good presence in the air, comfortable on the ball.

Yeah all the nay sayers seemed to have him judged before he had played. Good player, and good business.

Decent enough player and had he been available for selection most games 20k a week would mean it was good business however given his injury record it works out closer to 160k a game which isn't such good business

Decent enough player and had he been available for selection most games 20k a week would mean it was good business however given his injury record it works out closer to 160k a game which isn't such good business

Whereas heitinga as a 1 in 5 squad player cost 350k per game. The likes of Duffy, mcaleny will be on 5k a week. It's a no brainer, alacaraz will be cover and even if he does pick up the odd injury, it's not an issue. Some people behave like he's kolo toure on 80k a week.

Whereas heitinga as a 1 in 5 squad player cost 350k per game. The likes of Duffy, mcaleny will be on 5k a week. It's a no brainer, alacaraz will be cover and even if he does pick up the odd injury, it's not an issue. Some people behave like he's kolo toure on 80k a week.

What Hietinga, Duffy or Mcalaney are on is irrelevant my point is that Alcaraz is too injury prone to be considered as a good bit of business

What Hietinga, Duffy or Mcalaney are on is irrelevant my point is that Alcaraz is too injury prone to be considered as a good bit of business

He cost nothing. He is on a low wage. He's been fit since February..... Unless you are saying we signed a 10m, 100k a week centre half who is meant to be a first name on team sheet then I really can't see the issue.

He's been fit since February

Probably because he hasn't played since February :P .

There's no doubt he's got the quality, he's shown that time and time again, but to be seen as a good squad player he has to be available at all times. I dread to think what our defensive record would have been like if Jags and Distin had spent a significant time out at the same time because we'd probably have had to rely on Hibbert to play alongside Stones a lot!

Surely its fickle to slag Alcaraz off for having one poor game when he has been excellent in every other match he has played in an Everton shirt. Not to mention that in the game in question he was left pretty exposed given how we played and the captain alongside him was an absolute shambles as well.

I think our best CB pairing has probably been Stones & Distin all things considered. Not saying they have been faultless but they are improving all the time from a slightly rocky start, especially as Stones has started to believe he is a first team regular.

You just used the games Alcaraz has played in and not the ones he has been fit but not in the 11 (albeit there arent a huge amount). Alcaraz has come in and done what we needed him to do when he has been called upon. Its shame he has been injured, but to get a guy of that experience and footballing ability for no fee and low wages is very rare in football these days. We could have pissed £14mil and £75k a week up the wall for Sakho for example! :)

• 1 month later...

"Everton defender Antolin Alcaraz has likened his injury-plagued first season at the club to being in prison"

Does that make Distin the Purple Aki of footballers?

Alcaraz Prison, boom boom! - he's a funny guy is Antolin

Edited by Hafnia