IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Callum McManaman is still only 22, so there is a lot of development still to come, although he wouldn't be on the top of my list as new signings.

I'm still against the idea of Martinez taking over. Anybody can win a cup. That's the beauty of cup competitions. We need a league manager, and overall I'm not convinced Martinez 'deserves' the job.

Malky Mckay maybe, Pereira maybe, although I'm not sure he has even been in the genuine frame, and even Neville or Solskjær would sit ok with me, but can't help thinking Martinez is a bit of a desperate move.

Not everyone can inherit a Steve Bruce team on inflated wages, reduced the wage bill by 22%, lose their best players each year and replace at a fraction, play expansive football, changing the footballing ethos throughout the whole club which has meant that Wigans youth system is now operating at a far higher level than it originally was. http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/team/academy/youth-development-2.aspx It can be argued that not many managers would have done a more impressive job at Wigan given their limited resource and attraction.

Moyes argued about taking a knife to a gun fight? (£63m annual wage bill) Well I think Martinez could argue he was taking a water pistol to a gun fight (£38m annual wage bill)

Employing Phil Neville as a manager would be the biggest gamble of all Av - why would Neville be a good hire based on what we know about his management style? (we haven't got any idea of how he would be).

The question I will ask is this:-

Would Phil Neville, Solksjaer or Pereira have kept Wigan afloat this season??? I personally think Martinez did well to keep them in the running as late as he did. Wigan have one of the lowest gross turnovers in the league, So low that they can not afford to offer the likes of Rodellega and Diame the contracts they deserved and had to let them go for free (costing the club £10m) - it sounds daft but its sensible, its the reason as to why they arent bankrupt and Pompey are.

Put it this way Martinez gets my vote far more than a manager who has won leagues titles in a league almost as one sided as the scottish prem (who's fans dont actually rate). He gets my vote far more than a Moyes yes man who has only just finished his badges (Neville), as for Malky Mckay, lets see how he does in the prem next season.

STEVE CLARKE is 100 times better than Martinez.

Interested in this one... Don't think he's bad, but really he's had one good season with players such as lukaku on lucrative wages. I think if Wigan had Lukaku that would be the difference between survival and relegation.

The only manager we are linked with who has any proven favourable form in the EPL (taking into account resource) is Martinez, simple as that. 100 times better than martinez is not even a tangible measurement.

Bit of a rediculous comment to make. "Anybody can win a cup". Say that to the 17 managers in the PL at the moment. Obviously where a nobody as where not an anybody then.

No matter what people say everybody have set there minds on Pereira who has had no experience in the PL. Yeah his record is good, but the set of players he had at his expence. They have sold two of the key players this season. Plus the likes of hulk last season. Lets see how they do next season.

Martinez or Mackay aren't bad shouts - both have done well at their clubs.

A cup consists of a handful of games, not 38.

Wigan only had to play 6 games to win the cup, and to be fair, it wasn't exactly the strongest opposition imaginable was it ?

Wigan played Bournmouth, (drew 1st game 1-1, won 2nd 1-0), Macclesfield Town (won 1-0 with a penalty), Huddersfield Town (won 4-1), Everton (won 3-0), Millwall (won 2-0) City (won 1-0).

I'm not sure the best way to debate is to ridicule other members opinions though mate. :dry:

I'm not trying to ridicule your opinion Avin (I know that you wasn't talking to me). I respect your opinion. I see you mentioning Neville. I believe you are right, in the future, not now. You haven't presented any thoughts behind your idea about Neville being the perfect manager for us. (He is not even a manager today) I think we should aim for an experienced manager. I believe that Martinez has proven himself with the squad that he had. I would like to hear your opinion about Neville. Why do you believe that he would be the best man for the job? (i'm genuinely interested)

Ok I agree, the opposition in the cup was not the best. He did however beat Everton, he actually tore DM a new one with his tactics on that day. Most of us on here were impressed by his tactics.

They also beat Man City when they already knew that they were not going to win the league. I'm pretty sure that Man City wanted that cup quite badly.

Not everyone can inherit a Steve Bruce team on inflated wages, reduced the wage bill by 22%, lose their best players each year and replace at a fraction, play expansive football, changing the footballing ethos throughout the whole club which has meant that Wigans youth system is now operating at a far higher level than it originally was. http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/team/academy/youth-development-2.aspx It can be argued that not many managers would have done a more impressive job at Wigan given their limited resource and attraction.

Moyes argued about taking a knife to a gun fight? (£63m annual wage bill) Well I think Martinez could argue he was taking a water pistol to a gun fight (£38m annual wage bill)

Employing Phil Neville as a manager would be the biggest gamble of all Av - why would Neville be a good hire based on what we know about his management style? (we haven't got any idea of how he would be).

The question I will ask is this:-

Would Phil Neville, Solksjaer or Pereira have kept Wigan afloat this season??? I personally think Martinez did well to keep them in the running as late as he did. Wigan have one of the lowest gross turnovers in the league, So low that they can not afford to offer the likes of Rodellega and Diame the contracts they deserved and had to let them go for free (costing the club £10m) - it sounds daft but its sensible, its the reason as to why they arent bankrupt and Pompey are.

Put it this way Martinez gets my vote far more than a manager who has won leagues titles in a league almost as one sided as the scottish prem (who's fans dont actually rate). He gets my vote far more than a Moyes yes man who has only just finished his badges (Neville), as for Malky Mckay, lets see how he does in the prem next season.

There is no point having hypothetical debates Haf, in terms of 'would manager x keep team x up etc.

In terms of Neville, he would probably struggle as a manager in the lower leagues, but he knows the Prem inside out. He has spent his entire footballing career playing in it. He has had the insight of both Ferguson, and his staff, not to mention the opportunity to mix with players of incredible quality whilst at United, and then add to that the time spent at Everton, in a vastly different environment.

He has experience of dealing with the Everton players, and also the Everton structure. He is already respected by the fans as a leader, and by the FA. He is also determined to become a manager, and is the perfect age to start.

Martinez played for Wigan, and managed Swansea and Wigan. For me, Neville could buy and sell Martinez in terms of experience. You don't need to be the boss, to know what being the boss takes.

Interested in this one... Don't think he's bad, but really he's had one good season with players such as lukaku on lucrative wages. I think if Wigan had Lukaku that would be the difference between survival and relegation.

The only manager we are linked with who has any proven favourable form in the EPL (taking into account resource) is Martinez, simple as that. 100 times better than martinez is not even a tangible measurement.

Like I said earlier in the thread, he had a decent first half of the season, second half was relegation standard (sixteen points from nineteen games with players such as Lukaku on lucrative wages).

Not for me.

There is no point having hypothetical debates Haf, in terms of 'would manager x keep team x up etc.

In terms of Neville, he would probably struggle as a manager in the lower leagues, but he knows the Prem inside out. He has spent his entire footballing career playing in it. He has had the insight of both Ferguson, and his staff, not to mention the opportunity to mix with players of incredible quality whilst at United, and then add to that the time spent at Everton, in a vastly different environment.

He has experience of dealing with the Everton players, and also the Everton structure. He is already respected by the fans as a leader, and by the FA. He is also determined to become a manager, and is the perfect age to start.

Martinez played for Wigan, and managed Swansea and Wigan. For me, Neville could buy and sell Martinez in terms of experience. You don't need to be the boss, to know what being the boss takes.

I dont get that 1st bit but the last line is spot on.

Neville has great experience and will most likely make a great manager... someday. He may well have spent a long time with two of the most fastidious managers to have graced the game but its a different pair of shoes to actually live the managers role. This is why I keep plugging him as the assistant manager, so he gets to learn to walk before he runs, hopefully a future Everton manager.

Edited by Matt

Interesting points but Id still classify it as a gamble. No-one knows how he will perform as a manager as he has never been a manager. Its ALWAYS tough to go from being one of the lads to being the lads manager.

Id like to see him get some experience before coming here as manager. I would however like to see him manage Everton at one point.

I'm not trying to ridicule your opinion Avin (I know that you wasn't talking to me). I respect your opinion. I see you mentioning Neville. I believe you are right, in the future, not now. You haven't presented any thoughts behind your idea about Neville being the perfect manager for us. (He is not even a manager today) I think we should aim for an experienced manager. I believe that Martinez has proven himself with the squad that he had. I would like to hear your opinion about Neville. Why do you believe that he would be the best man for the job? (i'm genuinely interested)

Ok I agree, the opposition in the cup was not the best. He did however beat Everton, he actually tore DM a new one with his tactics on that day. Most of us on here were impressed by his tactics.

They also beat Man City when they already knew that they were not going to win the league. I'm pretty sure that Man City wanted that cup quite badly.

I think we chatted about why he was a decent candidate about page 25 Pete.

I don't think the result was tactical either. You don't plan to score 3 goals in 5 minutes. Everton were abysmal, not to take anything away from Wigans win. City have been our boot boys for some time now, so they weren't exactly the hardest final opponents either on current form, 2nd in the league or not.

Compare our own route to the final and Moyes deserved a knighthood, nevermind a trophy.

I think we chatted about why he was a decent candidate about page 25 Pete.

I don't think the result was tactical either. You don't plan to score 3 goals in 5 minutes. Everton were abysmal, not to take anything away from Wigans win. City have been our boot boys for some time now, so they weren't exactly the hardest final opponents either on current form, 2nd in the league or not.

Compare our own route to the final and Moyes deserved a knighthood, nevermind a trophy.

Sorry, must have missed that. I'm still not convinced ;)

You never tactically plan the goals though. All you can do is confuse the other team with your tactics and if the opposition is confuzzled you might get a few in. It worked against us. 3 goals in 5 minutes isn't just lucky. There is something that caused that kind of havoc. They confused us and in the chock of it they managed to get 3 past us.

Anyhow. We have no say in the matter and i'm pretty sure it is going to be Martinez. I know that you will get behind him 100% if that is the case. Because that's the type of person that you are. Just as I would support Neville 100% if he got the job.

I would actually point at our 2-1 win on boxing day as a better example as to why Martinez should be our next manager. I was hugely impressed by their weakened team.

All the reasons as to why Neville would make a great manager could be used in a similar point as to why Tony Adams would make an even better manager.... England captain, Arsenal Captain, Double Winner, involved in the backroom at arsenal sponging info off wenger and...... fail.

I believe the same question could be asked of Moyes in terms of goals scored by his strikers (failure to kick on) despite him having the ability to pay the wages for a better quality player.

It could but it would be totally irrelevant

Moyes didn't pay big fees or big wages for the likes of Lescott , Jagielka and Coleman . Moyes made us hard o beat first and foremost, kept us up then strengthened the side gradually You keep going on about Evertons £63M wages bill, but Moyes built that side and turned them into players who warranted that kind of money. Initially he built the side around the likes of Carlsey, Kilbane and Bent and again I doubt that calibre of player would have been out of Wigans reach

Martinez went gung ho and got relegated.

Im not against Martinez getting the job because all of his good points that you keep pointing out I totally agree with and so I think he is worth the risk, however there is that risk and I think its only natural that people should be a little concerned.

At the end of the day he is still a good young manager and overall I would be fairly excited to see what he could do if given the chance

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I think that all of the managers that are within our grasps are a little risky but in different ways.

Martinez - got relegated, not produced top results (not possible with Wigan)

German fella - stopped working due to stress (!) not proven in the prem.

Malky - not proven in the prem

Pereira - great results but with a superior team (much like Lennon) not proven in the prem

Neville etc - not managers, never proven themselfs anywhere. (yes as players but not as managers)

We cant get the Mourinhos and Wengers of the world but Martinez is not light years away. Least risky of the front runners.

I would actually point at our 2-1 win on boxing day as a better example as to why Martinez should be our next manager. I was hugely impressed by their weakened team.

All the reasons as to why Neville would make a great manager could be used in a similar point as to why Tony Adams would make an even better manager.... England captain, Arsenal Captain, Double Winner, involved in the backroom at arsenal sponging info off wenger and...... fail.

I'll tell Neville "no" then.

I think that all of the managers that are within our grasps are a little risky but in different ways.

Martinez - got relegated, not produced top results (not possible with Wigan)

German fella - stopped working due to stress (!) not proven in the prem.

Malky - not proven in the prem

Pereira - great results but with a superior team (much like Lennon) not proven in the prem

Neville etc - not managers, never proven themselfs anywhere. (yes as players but not as managers)

We cant get the Mourinhos and Wengers of the world but Martinez is not light years away. Least risky of the front runners.

I agree

We simply arent in a position to attract any of the top managers and Im quite pleased with the 3 that are now said to be on the final short list, I would probably opt for Martinez out of the 3 but there isn't really much in it for me

I hope he brings Emmerson Boyce and Ron Stam so we can bring Wigan's patented brand of defense to our great club! But in all seriousness, I am now behind the manager 100%, and hope that his defensive troubles at Wigan were due just as much to the team's quality (or lack there of) as it was his brand of football.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun. Retaining a keen interest in the Premier League despite having lived for many years in the US, I've supported Wigan while Roberto Martinez has been at the helm. Honestly, I support the manager more than the team, because he's by far the smartest in the league. If he is indeed about to become the new manager of Everton, then you have a new supporter - if you'll let me in.

Incidentally, the moment that the Mourinho announcement was made, it was clear that Everton would wait another day before announcing their decision. It should be a big splash and not overshadowed by Chelsea's comings and goings.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun. Retaining a keen interest in the Premier League despite having lived for many years in the US, I've supported Wigan while Roberto Martinez has been at the helm. Honestly, I support the manager more than the team, because he's by far the smartest in the league. If he is indeed about to become the new manager of Everton, then you have a new supporter - if you'll let me in.

It was your destiny....you just came to it in a roundabout way :).

(Is the "Cornish" because you're originally from that part of England or is there a Cornwall, US that I've not heard of?)

There have been a lot of comments about the weak defensive record at Wigan, and I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, injuries plagued Wigan this year. They spent a lot of money (for them) on Ramis, and he was injured early on. Alcaraz was also out injured for many games. At times, Wigan were effectively playing with their reserve defense. Since, as a small club, Wigan doesn't have the depth of other teams, they paid a heavy price. Still, the fact that Martinez convinced the club to bring in Ramis was a good sign. On the other hand, Martinez insists that defenders play their way out of trouble at the back instead of simply hoofing the ball up the field. If, while pursuing that strategy, a mistake is made, it can lead to an easy goal. This year, I've noticed that Wigan did sometimes just clear the ball without passing it, so I'd say that strategy has been modified a little. With an awesome defense already in place, and combined with the slick passing approach that Martinez demands, I'd say the future will be really bright at Everton.

Now it's a case of waiting for the official announcement!