IGNORED

Matthew Pennington

An article from a Leeds fan about Pennington... It's safe to say he is not a fan!

Leeds are looking to re-sign Matthew Pennington on loan from Everton.

The central defender made 24 appearances for the Elland Road outfit last season. With time fast running out in the transfer window, securing his signature should not be the priority.

Pennington showed flashes of promise last season. However, this was mostly obscured by the wash of blinding incompetence. It was characteristic of a season that saw Leeds ship 64 goals. In the 15 games that the 23-year-old started, Leeds kept just one clean sheet. Meanwhile, in the 22 games that he did not feature, Leeds came away with 10 clean sheets.

It would be unfair to pin all of the blame on Pennington. However, he showed little promise of being a reliable figure to call upon. In spite of his strength in the tackle, his hoofing tendencies and lack of composure on the ball were more suited to a side battling relegation than one looking up the table.

Were he to re-sign, he would be a squad player. A defender who can compete for a starting berth is of greater need. This is where the focus should lie. This is in part because of logistics. The permanent transfer window closes on Thursday, while the loan window closes at the end of the month. Should Leeds fail to sign a more promising defender on a permanent transfer, there will still be time to sign Pennington. However, if they sign Pennington, the need for another centre-back will remain and time will be against them.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Insane to me that people are ready to judge Robinson off of a single preseason appearance.

I admit it is very premature, but from what I've seen unless he dramatically improves this year he isn'ttt going to be anywhere near PL level. 

I hope I'm wrong, just going with my gut.

Also I think he featured in 2 or 3 pre season games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 29/05/2019 at 05:15, Shukes said:

Best for him to be fair. Reminds of Duffy a lot, old fashioned strong no nonsense type. 

But we need more for our level. Wish him the best though.

This. This isn'tt his level. I'm sure he will make a good Championship defender and he should find a side sooner rather than later, and we shouldn't pin false hopes that he's the answer.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...