IGNORED

Matthew Pennington

• 3 months later...

Should be a good move for him. Could see them buying him if all goes well.

Think he could be good, long-term cover for us, but the problem is that young players don't develop by only playing 15-20 matches per season and most young footballers want to play week in week out, so I ultimately end up seeing him getting sold to a Championship side. He could do very well then and potentially end up with a lower half PL side (like Adam Forshaw).

Shame, I really like this lad as I have a soft spot for someone who also has done so well in school. Seems like most footballers either aren't academically gifted or don't choose to develop that side of themselves because they think they don't have to.

• 5 weeks later...

From what the papers say on the OS

And in the Yorkshire Post, Leeds United defender Pontus Jansson says Everton loanee Matthew Pennington reminds him of Victor Lindelof, the Swedish international centre-back who cost Manchester United £31million this summer.

From what the papers say on the OS

And in the Yorkshire Post, Leeds United defender Pontus Jansson says Everton loanee Matthew Pennington reminds him of Victor Lindelof, the Swedish international centre-back who cost Manchester United £31million this summer.

Is that a good or bad thing!?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just signed a new three year contract believe it or not - not sure if he was going to be out of contract in the summer.

I have to believe we will try to move him on for a nominal fee in the near future, as I believe many Leeds fans don't think he's good enough.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

completely forgot he was on loan, sounds like it didn't go well.  lower championship or league 1 player?  maybe they are trying to make sure they get some fee (no matter how small) from the investment the academy put into him.

I'm now reading mixed reviews on him - Either way, he's a rudimentary, basic defender. Not a lot of pace and isn'tt ever going to play the ball out from the back. Would certainly think he's good enough for the Championship in some capacity, but who knows. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

@johnh did you see any of pennington while watching Leeds this campaign?  i know you used to play for them and still follow them, not sure if you are able to watch the matches or not.

Only saw a couple of Leeds games this season and Pennington didn't play in either of them.  On the Leeds website, feelings are mixed.  Some want him to sign others don't.

19 hours ago, Shukes said:

I watched him a few times. Mostly forgot he was on the pitch. He was always solid and enthusiastic. But sadly not premier league level 🙁

This. He is a solid defender and will try his nuts off but there is nothing special about him and I don' see him as a top 10 prem player.

• 2 months later...