IGNORED

What market are we shopping in?

have you already done the research Si? Will save me quite a while if you have ;) Im not going to go into the finances of other clubs, because its irrelevant and will take far too much time and effort.

100-120k a week off the wages = 6.2m saved, id say its a healthy chunk.

Done plenty of research mate, and i know that from a commercial stand point we ARE behind others, do we need to go down the whole Kitbag,Chang etc etc route again? and that's just that side of things.

As for the wages i had a quick look at some stuff since the last post i made, and if we can get rid of another high earner like Jonny, then yeah, maybe it does start to mount up then, so im starting to agree with you on that.

Done plenty of research mate, and i know that from a commercial stand point we ARE behind others, do we need to go down the whole Kitbag,Chang etc etc route again? and that's just that side of things.

As for the wages i had a quick look at some stuff since the last post i made, and if we can get rid of another high earner like Jonny, then yeah, maybe it does start to mount up then, so im starting to agree with you on that.

care to share any links that might help then? would be appreciated :)

Im not looking to go down the Kitbag and Chang road either but will be putting them in my piece....

care to share any links that might help then? would be appreciated :)

Im not looking to go down the Kitbag and Chang road either but will be putting them in my piece....

If i can find them in my History then yes, i will have a look for you.

Are you writing an article or something?

Edited by Simon

If i can find them in my History then yes, i will have a look for you.

Are you writing an article or something?

just trying to get some info together to really understand it better.

in the meantime, and im sure it was posted earlier, but this is an excellent write up of life last year...

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/search/label/Everton

just trying to get some info together to really understand it better.

in the meantime, and im sure it was posted earlier, but this is an excellent write up of life last year...

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/search/label/Everton

Very interesting read. I think when you look at net interest payments we are in 6th place. Swansea figure is there to see £0 in interest and they make the point about Norwich being in the same boat - this I guess is the difference in player purchases. Both Norwich and Swansea have spent pretty big so far but should have the financial flexibility, given the additional TV revenue is not already leverage against debt

This is what the article had to say about us in a nutshell

Everton made a loss of £9 million from revenue of £81 million and a wage bill of £63 million (10th highest in the Premier League). The operating loss of £19 million was improved by adding back £14 million of player amortisation and depreciation less a working capital adjustment of £2 million, giving a negative cash flow from operating activities of £7 million.
Everton’s need to box clever is highlighted by the fact that even after net player receipts of £11 million (sales £23 million, purchases £13 million), they do not quite manage to break-even with negative cash flow after financing of £2 million. All other things being equal, they need to sell a player every season to stay afloat.
This is due to £4 million interest payments and £0.9 million repayment on assorted loans. The club’s debt stands at £49 million with an £11 million overdraft plus £24 million loan notes (borrowed against future season ticket sales) and £14 million loans (borrowed against future TV money). The lending arrangements with Barclays Bank expire on 31 July 2013, so these will have to be renegotiated in a few months.
Edited by codders78

the data is 2 years old though. My point is that with the new income and big wages off the bill, coupled with FFP (Financial Fair Play), the story changes a fair bit. Nearly finished work now, will work on it tonight

after an hour of searching, I cant find anything on wages. I dont have that much faith in that site I posted a while back and there is no mention of the newcomers wages.

Not sure I can make an argument without that key info.

edit: i'll post what Ive found though, just for info

Edited by Matt

In reality we are operating like a championship club we can't compete in the transfer market with the teams below us never mind around us . Tournament arsenal and Liverpool our closest rivals have/ will spent 20mil + we have to rape Wigan for their best players.next season is a risky one for me. As I said before we could be relegation fodder.

In reality we are operating like a championship club we can't compete in the transfer market with the teams below us never mind around us . Tournament arsenal and Liverpool our closest rivals have/ will spent 20mil + we have to rape Wigan for their best players.next season is a risky one for me. As I said before we could be relegation fodder.

:doh: I don't use smilies very often, but your posts leave me lost for words. I can't believe that you,,,, ah forget it, I'm gonna go and post on the Landon Donovan thread.

Off the field i would agree with you, i think we do operate like a championship club, but not on it. So we can't shop at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer at the moment but we are not quite at the point of Poundland yet, more Morrisons id say.

I'd actually say we are in the market for last seasons stock at M&S or we go direct to the manaufacturer as we can't afford the well marketed goods.

Corporately we operate like a league 1 club...

It doesn't matter where I buy the ingredients for the world's best dish. What matters is that they are the right blend of ingredients, and my skill as a cook is what makes the dish great. I fail to understand why people care so much about this transfer window, how much is spent, and where players come from. What matters is how individual players meld to create the world's greatest team. The finished dish is what counts, not the individual ingredients.

If its the skill of the manager blending the team and not about money why are the richest clubs winning the league.

They are usually rich because with the exception of Chelsea and Man city - they have capitilised on winning the league in the most lucartive era. The best players want to go there, they can afford to pay the best players and so on.

However, if the manager is Mark Hughes for example - he may go and blow a huge amount on wayne bridge, SWP, Robinho, Santa Cruz, Adebuyor, Kolo Toure, a collection of fine mercenaries who do nothing to form a team spirit, who can be beaten by a team with a manager who knows how to drill his players.

I keep thinking back to Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough. Season 1: third place to secure promotion from Championship to Premier (to use today's nomenclature). Season 2: won the Premier League title; Season 3 and Season 4: won the European Cup (Champions League). They made it with rather average players because they were a brilliant team that got the most out of everyone and were led by a brilliant manager. The lack of funds didn't stop them for succeeding; however, a lack of funds did prevent them from building a 20-year legacy.

I keep thinking back to Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough. Season 1: third place to secure promotion from Championship to Premier (to use today's nomenclature). Season 2: won the Premier League title; Season 3 and Season 4: won the European Cup (Champions League). They made it with rather average players because they were a brilliant team that got the most out of everyone and were led by a brilliant manager. The lack of funds didn't stop them for succeeding; however, a lack of funds did prevent them from building a 20-year legacy.

I'm not sure in today's football world this is possible. Too much money being thrown around and too many superstars playing for single teams makes it difficult for anyone to compete for a European place, and impossible to win the league unless you're one of the financial big boys.

I'm not sure in today's football world this is possible. Too much money being thrown around and too many superstars playing for single teams makes it difficult for anyone to compete for a European place, and impossible to win the league unless you're one of the financial big boys.

Sure its much harder but that doesn't stop well organised teams who buy smartly from reaching the top. Look at Dortmund for example and at the same time look how well the Sheiks money helped Man City last season. Yes money helps or course it does, but it doesnt mean that 'cheaper' teams cant compete if they do things the right way.

we should operate mainly in the futures market -

a small core of excellent senior players in the side on merit -

surrounded by upcoming youngsters developed ourselves or scouted from all over the world before somebody else discovers them -

easier said than done I know -

but at least we then don't play has beens past their sell by date but rather experiment with promising youngsters -

rather play with the most likely stars of the future than with the shooting stars of yesterday

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2326128/Premier-League-transfers--summer-2013.html

So looking at this we spent the only money we had on a 29 year old striker from a relegated side. Surely strengthen the squad in an area it's week on number CM than put an average prem striker a long side two other average prem strikers.

Good read, fundamentally along with youth development it is a key component of footballing success. I think near every top flight club utilises such systems.

However, not everything that needs to be measured can be measured, and not everything that is measured is relavent...

Meaning sometimes being overly analytical can hinder speedily required decisions. I know Martinez uses pro zone (I think its called that), for me I think statistics are vital in supporting a decision. Good read though, very interesting.

After reading that i just downloaded his book. Love reading scout books, fine out some strange but interesting things about the game, that you wouldnt normally find out about.

It sounds a good book, the journo who wrote the book is often on talkshite and he's one of the few that's worth listening too