IGNORED

Gareth Barry

So, anything interesting come from the news conference?

A lot of the usual clichés. Happy to be here, will let World Cup stuff sort itself out and he's just concentrating on solidifying himself in the 1st team here, etc. Only thing I can remember was him saying that he was open to staying with the team beyond this season.

A lot of the usual clichés. Happy to be here, will let World Cup stuff sort itself out and he's just concentrating on solidifying himself in the 1st team here, etc. Only thing I can remember was him saying that he was open to staying with the team beyond this season.

depending on whether he proves himself or not, and cuts his wages by 60%, I wont be against him signing a rolling contract.

I worked it out - even if we pay the full £120k a week - thats £6m for the year, lets say he should be on £55k-£60 - thats £3m in wages. If he does well and we sign him on a free next year and put him on £55k - its like signing him for £3m. I'm sure city will pay about £40k of it.

We should get 2-3 years from him so all in all not bad business

Barring a lot of midfield injuries he's not going to the World Cup.

I've never been His biggest fan but that's mainly down to how much he made my blood boil against Germany.......

But as much as I was against bringing him here initially I'm strangely looking forward to Him playing. It does seem the vast majority of City fans rate him very highly and hopefully it will be the same case here and hopefully this means that Osman will be benched as he's been worse then piss poor.

Not overjoyed but optimistic he will do well and as long as he wears the shirt he will have my full backing.

I think a few may be judging a player who gives that unappreciated quality based on the posts on here... city fans think its a bad move gettin rid so soon. Their loss, our gain it seems (have a good read)

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290071

It's about theater. The transfer deadline is about bold, flashy moves. About watching Sky Sports and seeing dramatic, unforeseen things happen. Big names being moved over the continent.

Gareth Barry is a boring, aging player who moved on a loan deal. He's not going to make highlight reel plays. It's not sexy. How much Barry might actually help us is irrelevant in terms of how it's going to be perceived out of the gate. I'm sure, unless he shits the bed, the fanbase will grow an appreciation for him as a player and person in the locker room.

It's about theater. The transfer deadline is about bold, flashy moves. About watching Sky Sports and seeing dramatic, unforeseen things happen. Big names being moved over the continent.

Gareth Barry is a boring, aging player who moved on a loan deal. He's not going to make highlight reel plays. It's not sexy. How much Barry might actually help us is irrelevant in terms of how it's going to be perceived out of the gate. I'm sure, unless he shits the bed, the fanbase will grow an appreciation for him as a player and person in the locker room.

It seems he is a bit of Makele - the player that proper players appreciate. Both clichy and silva loved him as a team mate:-

"Of course Yaya is impressive, but it's always the way in football that the players who score goals or make a difference in the final third are the ones we look at," Clichy said.

"But without Gareth Barry, Yaya wouldn't be the same player. You have to give credit where it's due.

"Yaya is a great player, and that is why he played for a team like Barcelona and won the Champions League and everything.

"But it's like Zinedine Zidane - at the time he was playing for Real Madrid he had Claude Makelele behind him. We have to know the qualities in our team and of course we are happy to have Yaya but we have to give credit to the whole team because we play good football and are defensively solid."

Re: "You're the one for me, Barry"

icon_post_target.pngby Davedtg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 am

I Hart Man City wrote:He's just making the ultimate sacrifice for City and has gone knowing that Everton will come to rely on him so much that when we play them and he can't play against us, we will be able to take 6 points off them this season.

Nice one, hadn't thought of that. The Everton bogey may have just been finished.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah right. I think we will get at least 2 points from City this season. Maybe even 4.

Some really nice comments about Barry on there, and a lot of sky blues seem to know their shit when it comes to Everton. How we play, how Barry will fit in.

They seem impressed by McCarthy, Barry and Lukaku on the last day of the window.

They are right, we now have a PL squad and a potential top 4 starting 11.

Barry might turn out to be exactly what we need -

someone with experience and great leadership qualities organizing the def midfield -

are we not maybe missing a forceful captain who can rally the side ?

50 caps for England 400 for Villa - if he has something left in his tank he can take us places

as pace has never been Barry's stong point - I think he could easily play for another two or even three seasons. Not suffered to much with injuries and guess he is a model proffessional.

I think with him and McCathy in the middle it will give Barkley a little more cover as he grows in to Premeriship football.

If he stays on for another season or two then it will gives Martinez a little breathing space in finding a younger defensive midfeilder.

its going to be great start to watch a team develop around the 22 year old mccathy and 19 year old barkley in the middle of the park.

He's OUR lazy shite now, like many before him and I'm sure many after him, so like everyone else he's got the benefit of the doubt. As he's our lazy shite I want him to succeed more than I want him to fail and I feel a bit more positive about him as I never thought I'd see the day where Zinedine Zidane is mentioned in a thread about Gareth Barry.

As for our captain, our rock. Where's Phil, The Gazelle, Neville when you need him?

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with above few comments.

Wasn't that excited when I heard Barry was coming our way, but the game against Chelsea sure made me change my mind fast.

The most intelligent midfielder we've had in a long while, plus the added bonus of being able to get away with some sneaky fouls to slow the game down.